Why become a member? ×

Zoning out while playing live?

Something of a new phenomenon to me, zoning out while playing. I liked a groove from a live version of Herbie Hancocks watermelon man ([media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs5-ZO65NcU&feature=relmfu[/media] the initial groove with the cool time siggy bits) so I looped it in Cubase and just let rip over it. Safe to say I completely zoned out with all focus of the groove after about 15mins and thoroughly dug in through out the piece.

After listening back too it briefly (I was at it for over an hour so a thorough listen was out of the question :P) I realised that it was honestly some of the best stuff I've ever played (IMO) even my weaker aspects (I.e chord work) seemed to fit nicely.

I don't think I'd have the confidence to just forget everything around me when playing live even if I did believe I could reproduce some of my better playing... 0.o

So my question is do you ever zone out during live performances and what are the results?

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1336081014' post='1640762']So my question is do you ever zone out during live performances and what are the results? [/quote]

Usually disastrous!! I think its fine when you're sat at home playing along to something, the original Watermelon Man from the Headhunters' album does have that slow paced repeating groove that it can be easy to zone out with.

Live though I need to be on the ball, otherwise the ball might get dropped! It gets so much harder when you've played a song a thousand times over because you get complacent. I always try and stay alert to the pulse of a tune, not so that the music feels stiff, but so that I know what's going on etc. I know what you mean with the zoning out thing though, and I do do it... I hate getting interrupted when I'm practicing for this reason because I feel like my own little musical space has gotten broken into! That's when you know you're feeling music as opposed to actively concentrating.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1336082188' post='1640790']
Usually disastrous!!
[/quote]

I assumed so :P I'm just wondering if zoning out (even if not completely) might help the groove feel more fluid though? I know from experience that a group of over concentrating performers has the potential to create a rigid feel which can ruin a song IMO. I suppose the potential to make serious mistakes outweighs the feel of a piece of music?

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1336082636' post='1640804']
I assumed so :P I'm just wondering if zoning out (even if not completely) might help the groove feel more fluid though? I know from experience that a group of over concentrating performers has the potential to create a rigid feel which can ruin a song IMO. I suppose the potential to make serious mistakes outweighs the feel of a piece of music?
[/quote]

It's like riding a bike, isn't it, once you've learnt how to ride there's not always a conscious stream of what your body should and shouldn't be doing in order to keep you balanced and propel you forward. It becomes second nature. If you practice hard enough and are inherently musical then you can afford to keep concentration on what you're doing to a minimum whilst maintaining a bass part that heightens the feel for the rest of your band and the audience.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1336081014' post='1640762']
So my question is do you ever zone out during live performances and what are the results?[/quote]

Not so much now, but in the past I've often drifted away into contemplation of musings over what I'm going to have for my supper after the gig.

(Zone out) Kebab? Burger? Kebab? Burger? (Change) Kebab? Burger? (Change) Chips? Chips? (Change) Kebab? [i]Kebab[/i].(Zone back in for bridge)

Never been a problem and never missed a beat. Well, the odd one.

Not as a Pro may do in some free jazz solo, but during a gig yes, but it’s coming back that’s dangerous, like waking up after an Op on Gas. My mini moments are when I have not heard the piece called, but recognise the guitar intro and start playing. Everything is fine but I haven't a clue what I’m playing, hoping at the end of the 8 bar the chorus will come to me as well. Not quite the same but as near as I get. If you consciously intervene you play a bum note :blink: :huh: :blush:

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1336086352' post='1640858']
it’s coming back that’s dangerous, ................................... If you consciously intervene you play a bum note :blink: :huh: :blush:
[/quote]
Oh yes
Been there
Have T shirt as proof......

I do have a tendency to do it, more so if I'm really tired. We did two 1.5hr sets with a short break in between on new years eve, and I did zone out several times! Of course, if I'm playing something I know I really need to concentrate and be on the ball with, I'm fully focused, but if it's songs that I know inside out I can quite easily drift away.....

I think just the right level of zoning out really optimises my playing, but if I zone out too much I can lose track of what I'm doing!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1336086826' post='1640869']

I think just the right level of zoning out really optimises my playing, but if I zone out too much I can lose track of what I'm doing!
[/quote]
and if you concentrate too much you screw up...or at least I do

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' timestamp='1336081014' post='1640762']

So my question is do you ever zone out during live performances and what are the results?
[/quote]

Yeah, i do it mostly in the last set. Its lucky my fingers know the songs better than my brain does. Its its a working mens club im normally working out what im going to be doing the next day, planning it out etc.

I confess to being unfamiliar with the phrase [i]zone out[/i] ... sounds a bit American to me. However from the context I get the impression that it's when you go on autopilot and stop thinking about your playing. A guitar tutor once described it as "there's a guy behind you and he's going to reach round and take over your instrument; while you're conscious of each note he won't do that but he will take over as you let go". This has happened to me on some occasions, and it has resulted in some good playing. However there have been some other occasions when I've "woken up" and thought "wow this is amazing what's going on here?" and that's when it's all fallen apart.

I zone out a lot when practicing/playing at home, and occasionally at rehearsal with the band. I'm normally too nervous to do so live (or perhaps not quite as baked).

I have found that getting a state where I'm not conciously thinking about what I'm playing can have great results, but it can also be fairly disasterous. Mixed bag.

I agree with the coming back being the problem.

I can be playing away quite happily then I think to myself I should concentrate on what I'm playing more. Then it all goes wrong.

I find myself zoning out in band practice more than live though, so it's not too much of a problem.

I zone out quite often, especially at rehearsals and gigs. Turn up in the middle of some of our evening rehearsals and you'll most likely think that i'm asleep (sometimes that's been true). At gigs i'm more focused on what to do after the gig, what i'm doing the next day, and any attractive females in the audience.

Liam

I do it regularly but more when playing solos, especially on guitar.
for me this is the musical dimension I always try to achieve and the only way you can let your soul speak, or the energy flow through you to the audience, or god through you, or pure expression or however you might call it.
this is what for me is most important in music, aside the communication inbetween the bandmembers: the energy exchange between artist and the audience to reach another level/dimension...to experience something special.

Yeah - i am zoning out a lot these days. I have found myself almost waking up on stage then realising that i am playing a gig in front of a load of people. Its brilliant. No idea if what i am playing makes any sense but not had any complaints yet. Once i get the groove going i am off into a different world - my eyes start doing a flickering thing which might look a bit scary now i thnk about it.

The tone is in the zone.

I don't really focus on my playing. I try and listen to the music. I find if I listen to what I'm playing too much, I lose the feel of it as I get too in time. I know the songs that we play well enough now that I don't need to think about the notes I'm playing and I'm told I'm a natural musician so I don't need to make sure everything I do is right, I just go on how it sounds instead.

Zoning, slight return:

"What song are we playing?" "Sh*t - what are the notes?!" "What key am I in?" "How many times have we done the chorus?" "Is it that bit before the guitar solo now, or have we done that already?" ...etc.

Yes, it can get that bad sometimes.

Interesting points being made. I like the idea of being able to be able to perform automatically and really focus on my place in the piece as opposed to what I'm doing but the waking up bit seems slightly scary :P I suppose what makes some players so good is their ability to focus on the groove while maintaining concentration on there part. I'll get there one day... ;P

It's a difficult question to answer really

I played a gig recently where a person commented how I just stare into space and become really engrossed in the music and become very natural and fluent. Truth of the matter was that was a TV facing us infront the stage and I was watching Barcelona v Real Madrid! My facial expressions were being influenced by what was going on the pitch during the game, not the music we were playing. Ok, I admit, I should pay more attention to what I am doing instead of being distracted like that, but I thought it was funny how my body language was bing misread. I looked like a super spiritual musician really getting into it, but the reality was that I was enjoying the football match!

I do like a good 'ol jam with good musicians and get completely wrapped up in free flowing, improv playing. It sparks your imagination and develops your creativity. It's the root of all good musicians IMHO.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1336137472' post='1641457']
I played a gig recently where a person commented how I just stare into space and become really engrossed in the music and become very natural and fluent. Truth of the matter was that was a TV facing us infront the stage and I was watching Barcelona v Real Madrid! My facial expressions were being influenced by what was going on the pitch during the game, not the music we were playing. Ok, I admit, I should pay more attention to what I am doing instead of being distracted like that, but I thought it was funny how my body language was bing misread. I looked like a super spiritual musician really getting into it, but the reality was that I was enjoying the football match!
[/quote]

I did a bass gig a long time ago in similar circumstances, part way through the set someone switched the telly off, and I made myself unpopular with the singer because I hijacked the microphone to say "Oi! I was watching that!" :P

Great thread, and great stories about telly watching. :)

Still don't grasp what "zoning out" means. From reading here, I've (mis)understood:
- One case seems to be that one plays on autopilot whilst watching the telly, or using one's time even better thinking of beautiful women or men.
- The other case seems to be that one is "in the zone", as in fully immersed in the music, and playing at one's top level or rather better, as everything inspiredly gets together and forms a "higher unity".

So, what is "zoning out"? Something completely different perhaps?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor