Why become a member? ×

Acoustic gigs, my options.

Prime_BASS

My band are thinking of doing our own acoustic session, as this what seems to be giving the general public a mass ridge-on at the minute.

We will be fairly limited to recording it, with probably 2 over hangs and a single mic for the vocals. The guitar and drums will be fine volume wise, but I feel an acoustic bass will just not have the volume to be heard, especially in the lower registers, wouldn't be an issue if we had the mics and resources as I could get my own mic to mic up the bass. Or I could DI it but then here lies the same issue, we just don't have the hardware to do it all in one take.

I know I could use my electric bass and amp, which personally I'd prefer, but then that defeats the point of an acoustic performance I guess.

I think currently we can record 3 tracks in one take at a time, which I know is fairly limiting.

What shoudl we do?

Invest in more recording hardware??

Totally agree with The Greek. However, you really need to get the drummer to strip the kit right down, and maybe put cloths over the heads (drums sound great like this BTW). Breedlove acoustic basses seem to be louder than most, so maybe that's an option, but I reckon you'll need amplification anyway. How about trying an electric upright like an NS Design Bass Cello, 34 inch scale and very easy to play compared to a DB, and it will 'look' more acoustic and very cool.

Yep. I use an amp when I do acoustic gigs. You'll be drowned out by everything. It's just the way it goes. Let's face it. There's still something for the vocals. Infact thinking about it everything's always through the pa at the acoustic slots I do.
A cajon is great at these things for drummage

Edited by gafbass02

[indent=1]+1 to all the above.[/indent]

[indent=1]You've a rats chance in hell of being able to hear an acoustic bass without amplification.[/indent]
[indent=1]If you amplify it then it's going to be a compromise between tone and feedback.[/indent]

[indent=1]A good 70% of my musical work is around 'acoustic' sets and I either use a standard electric bass or an NS EUB (which never fails to interest the audience).[/indent]

[indent=1]Acoustic basses are good for quiet noodling at home and look the part in videos, but that's about it IME.[/indent]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334511863' post='1617075']
Totally agree with The Greek. However, you really need to get the drummer to strip the kit right down, and maybe put cloths over the heads (drums sound great like this BTW). Breedlove acoustic basses seem to be louder than most, so maybe that's an option, but I reckon you'll need amplification anyway. How about trying an electric upright like an NS Design Bass Cello, 34 inch scale and very easy to play compared to a DB, and it will 'look' more acoustic and very cool.
[/quote]

I think what we are planning is purely for recording live stuff in a small homemade studio at the minute, but obviously it could lead to acoustic sets at clubs etc, people just go nuts for it.
I had toyed with picking up double bass again but the massive learning curve and stuff I'll have to re-learn kind of put's me off. I like the idea of an EUB, but as it stand I can only just afford the extra equipment I'll need to record a live take of everyone.

I figured I may need to amplify or go direct to the desk anyway, which brings me to the point of not bothering with an acoustic bass, or DB/EUB, but then that brings me to looks part.

As of now, I'm pretty much staying away from acoustic basses but may entertain EUB's, especially as the concensus seems to be I'll need amplification.

the kit indeed would be very stripped back, and thanks for the tip, we will try that when we get a bit more into setting it up.

Is this just for recording or are you planning to do it live?

If it's just for recording there's no reason why you can't do it with what you already have. True acoustic recordings are all about mic and instrument placement and working in a sympathetic acoustic space. If your prepared to put the effort in with plenty of test recordings while you work out the best places for each instrument relative to the mics there's no reason why you can't capture a decent mix live with a simple stereo pair.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1334521922' post='1617242']
I've always used my electric bass with a DI or small amp when backing acoustic players. If you've got something mellow sounding with flats on that might help it sit in a little better too.
[/quote]

I used to use something mellow sounding with flats on for "acoustic" gigs. It didn't have any frets, though.
Works a treat (as long as your intonation is ok)

If you're playing with a drum kit then you'll all need to miked up or all anyone will hear is the drums (and I don't care how softly the drummer says they can play).

As far as acoustic bass is concerned, what are you using? If it's an electro-acoustic with a thinnish body then you might as well use an electric with a small amp. I managed to get away using mine acoustically but it's a full bodied Tacoma but I only had to compete with one guitar (plus one accordian, two melodeons, two tin whistles and whatever the non-dancers felt like playing). I actually found it worked better on the lower notes because it sat by itself in the mix rather than on the higher notes where there was more overlap.

IMHO the best acoustic sets are where you don't just rehash your electric versions with acoustic instruments but revisit the whole arrangement and instrumentation so a djembe instead of a full drum kit, a mandolin instead of guitar in some places, that sort of thing. It's also fun to do but then I'm an old folkie rather than a rocker. :)

Steve

At least now I can back up my point with the opinion of people who have been there and done it.

all though big red X makes a pretty good point.
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334517866' post='1617156']
Is this just for recording or are you planning to do it live?

If it's just for recording there's no reason why you can't do it with what you already have. True acoustic recordings are all about mic and instrument placement and working in a sympathetic acoustic space. If your prepared to put the effort in with plenty of test recordings while you work out the best places for each instrument relative to the mics there's no reason why you can't capture a decent mix live with a simple stereo pair.
[/quote]

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1334592344' post='1618158']
IMHO the best acoustic sets are where you don't just rehash your electric versions with acoustic instruments but revisit the whole arrangement and instrumentation so a djembe instead of a full drum kit, a mandolin instead of guitar in some places, that sort of thing. It's also fun to do but then I'm an old folkie rather than a rocker. :)
[/quote]
Our guitarist is an classical acoustic player by heart so he will be the key point in the song's acoustic versions, drums will propbably not be drums but a dox of whatever and some shakers (im no drummer and have no clue) and I'm competent enough to play the songs differently to get a different vibe all together.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1334592344' post='1618158']
[/quote]
I agree with this.

My amplified acoustic band (which has never been an electric band) mixes acoustic guitars, jazz bodied electric guitar, lap steel, mandolin, ukulele, harmonica, kazoo, and our drummer (who unfortunately has recently left us) had a small kit but would mix things up by playing, for example, only kick drum, snare, and maraccas, or using beaters or brushes. Meanwhile I mix up fretless electric, fretless acoustic, and upright, depending on the gig.

But one way or another you will need to amplify at least the bass.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1334603737' post='1618446']
Consider a Kala U-Bass into a small portable combo - it sounds a bit like a DB and will give you more impact visually when people wonder WTF it is that you're playing!
[/quote]

Have a serious session on one before you purchase. I've tried one and I was not that impressed but it's very different to play so I may not have been getting the best out of it.

Steve