Why become a member? ×

Jazz v. Precision Bass- question from [relative] newbie

barnettiuk

It's easy.. you NEED both.. em want both, emmm ... had both. Try both, preferably playing the same set with the same band and gear and if at all possible the same venue... they're both fantastic at what they do and live the nuances of one will settle it for you... honest... problem is; change bands/set and.... it's Groundhog day!!!

Enjoy

Why try to get a P sound on a J and vice versa?

Just play what you've got. I've never been told: "if only you had brought the Jazz" or vice versa.

Just play what feels best in your hands. Or get both and then you can have this endless debate with yourself!!!

I have 2 of each - but then I'm greedy.

Peace
Davo

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1334329501' post='1614719']
I don't see the problem with people posting questions to others on a bass forum that satisfies their curiosity concerning two different kinds of bass guitars, especially since the OP has described himself as a newer player and many of us here are experienced with gear and such. If you don't like the topic, I would have thought it easier to simply not reply?
[/quote]

+1
Not forgetting of course, that things change.
If this forum had been around 20 years ago then we'd all have laughed if someone asked if it was possible to have a 300W 2x10" bass cab or a 1000W bass amp...

One of the many things that makes this forum a truly valuable resource is the up to date detail it contains and it's from revisiting topics to see if things have changed, and to pick up new detail that we hadn't considered relevant the first time around that feeds that value.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1343079280' post='1745040']
I have to say my P-Bass is winning the battle against my jazz bass. It holds it's own better in a live mix and suits the way I play more
[/quote]

+1 to this.

I now use my P exclusively for gigs. More punch and cut than my Jazz. And I now find Jazz necks too weedy for my liking (my P has a 44 mm nut).

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1343080139' post='1745071']
+1 to this.

I now use my P exclusively for gigs. More punch and cut than my Jazz. And I now find Jazz necks too weedy for my liking (my P has a 44 mm nut).
[/quote]

Me too. I thought the slimmer neck of the Jazz would be easier for me to play but I find the thicker neck easier. Bamboozled :) haha. It definitely punches through with a minimum of fuss whereas the Jazz Bass only seems suited to some tunes and then on other tunes I struggle to find a sound. The P Bass just does the job. Will probably keep my Jazz Bass though unless I could do some bartering for a Music Man :)

[quote name='barnettiuk' timestamp='1334310084' post='1614125']It's claimed that "....................many bass players who want to be more "forward" in the mix (including smaller bands such as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_trio"]power trios[/url]) prefer the Jazz Bass."[/quote]

Maybe.... but when that particular marketing nugget was coined, what exactly did a three-piece consist of? What amps and (more importantly) speakers were they using? Does that statement still apply to the same degree today, with all the changes/improvements in instruments and amplification? Just wondering out loud... :blink: :D

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1334314805' post='1614280']
IAll of this can be altered/changed outboard with amps, effects,[b] wang[/b], EQ etc...

[/quote]

Wang? :blink:

I've always loved the Precision sound but no Precision I ever played ever sounded right to me compared to what I was looking for.

It took a PJ, my current bass, with active EQ to get the Precision sound I had in my head all these years. Combined with having a Jazz width neck which I prefer means that I'm as happy as the proverbial dog with 2 wangs. :D

The only reason I'm selling my Rickenbacker, or at least trying to. :(

This might seem like a stupid answer, but my conclusion after owning and playing both for some time is: Choose the one you think looks and feels better.

Personally, I like the symmetric lines of the P body more, and I like the feel of the thicker neck. My jazz sounds good too, and maybe it's more versatile soundwise, but the P is just more "me".

I'd like to know where F3nd3r got the name 'Jazz' from, because AFAIK it doesn't have anything to do with the genre of music or was aimed at that market :unsure: . The 'Precision' name has been explained.

Maybe the 'Jazz' should thus be great for playing lot's of scales over chord changes and the 'Precision' more suitable for root note stuff :) .

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1343130063' post='1745664']
I'd like to know where F3nd3r got the name 'Jazz' from... :) .
[/quote]

Maybe because "better than the Precision (for some people)" wouldn't fit on the headstock? :yarr:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1343131066' post='1745692']
Read the headstock! :rolleyes: It's called the "Jazz Bass". :D
[/quote]

Read what I wrote again :rolleyes: :D

The Jazzmaster guitar was originally aimed at Jazz guitarists. The Jazz bass came out as the bass version to complement it and that is why it has that name, just like the original Precision complimented the Telecaster then was updated in 1957 to be more like a bass version of the strat with the headstock change.

I think that compering those 2 basses is like compering Rhodes to Acoustic piano. Completely different instruments as a bass-guitar might looks same and more thinks on jazz but listen to both completely different instrument.I would love to have both Jazz and Precision just because of that. I have Jazz bass, Every now and than I play P bass it makes me play completely different way on different instrument.

Do you agree?

M

I've tried various Jazz's, and never been too happy how they sit in the mix.

Maybe if I was Geddy Lee with great PA, techs, etc, I would have sounded more prominent!

I own a P for the reason I think it's a 'sledgehammer' bass - plug in anytime, anyplace, anywhere, and you can always cut through whatever mix.

Had an interesting chat with a bespoke bass retailer recently. He was saying how people come to him with a Jazz bass in a rock setting and complain they can't be heard. He said - 'it even says it on the headstock - Jazz bass!!'.

Made me laugh anyway! :D

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='matejj53' timestamp='1343144339' post='1746008']
I think that compering those 2 basses is like compering Rhodes to Acoustic piano. Completely different instruments as a bass-guitar might looks same and more thinks on jazz but listen to both completely different instrument.I would love to have both Jazz and Precision just because of that. I have Jazz bass, Every now and than I play P bass it makes me play completely different way on different instrument.

Do you agree?

M
[/quote]
Totally agree with this. It's almost like the Bass dictates to you what to play.

[quote name='barnettiuk' timestamp='1334310084' post='1614125']

......yet my perception (and I accept I may be wrong about this) is that it's never been quite as popular as the Precision and like for like seems to fetch a bit less on the market.

Ian
[/quote]

If anything, I think the Jazz has been a bit more successful. It moved the game on considerably from the P bass and really kickstarted modern bass design. For a true appreciation of the jazz bass principle, just look at all the super-jazz basses made today. There is nowhere near the same demand for boutique P basses.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1343147882' post='1746121']Maybe if I was Geddy Lee with great PA, techs, etc,[/quote]

Not to mention the constant involvement of the Custom Shop, brand new strings every gig, the aroma of roasting chicken.... :lol: