Why become a member? ×

When you want to sell

bigd1

It seems quite a few for sale adds don't have any pictures, or worse still, a stock pic from a shop web site.

Buying off the web always has a little risk with it, you are buying an item you are unable to inspect for condition etc. If you don't include a photo of the item for sale, you are expecting people to part with hard earned money with no idea of what they are buying apart from your written description.
For me, no picture means the add is a none starter in my quest for a GAS item.

Please put a little effort into your sale and take some pictures.

I can only agree wholeheartedly with this. If I click on a For Sale item (even if it's something I think I have desperate GAS for) and it has no pics, then I immediately go somewhere else in disgust and[i] never return, ever![/i]

What's worse is no pics but with the promise that 'I will put pics up later'. Why would anyone do this? Wait until you've got the damn pics ready, then post the topic! What's the matter with you??

Yours grumpier than Grumpy Jack McGrump, winner of last year's 'Mr Grumpy' competition. :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334277560' post='1613847']
What's worse is no pics but with the promise that 'I will put pics up later'. Why would anyone do this? Wait until you've got the damn pics ready, then post the topic! What's the matter with you??
[/quote]

I've done this before :blush:

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1334269360' post='1613739']
It seems quite a few for sale adds don't have any pictures, or worse still, a stock pic from a shop web site.

Buying off the web always has a little risk with it, you are buying an item you are unable to inspect for condition etc. If you don't include a photo of the item for sale, you are expecting people to part with hard earned money with no idea of what they are buying apart from your written description.
For me, no picture means the add is a none starter in my quest for a GAS item.

Please put a little effort into your sale and take some pictures.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Even if the pix don't do the item(s) justice, it's better that than nothing I say.

I`ve put items up for sale without having the photos ready. It`s usually when I`ve been deliberating over whether to sell something or not, and putting the ad up then commits me to selling. Plus, I usually type these ads up at work, whereas the photos are dealt with at home, so at the very least there will be half a days gap between posting the ad and uploading the pics.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334298132' post='1613904']
I`ve put items up for sale without having the photos ready. It`s usually when I`ve been deliberating over whether to sell something or not, and putting the ad up then commits me to selling. Plus, I usually type these ads up at work, whereas the photos are dealt with at home, so at the very least there will be half a days gap between posting the ad and uploading the pics.
[/quote]

Well don't do it. Wait till you are sure you want to sell, then place a full add not a half harted effort. :mellow: :)

Edited by bigd1

I'm not too fussed about pictures if it's an amp or a pedal or something. What I do want to know however is why they want rid of it, what they think of the product, hownit came into their possession and why I should buy it.

I hate it when people go:

"for sale 1 fender p bass.6months old. £1million ono"

Why not flesh out the ad? I wouldn't want to buy anything off this guy!

Truckstop

What about the use of the word 'collected' in an ad and no clue where the seller resides?
Slightly off topic, what makes me laugh is when a self-appointed basschat Plod jumps in with 'Forum rules state you must show a price' and quite clearly the vendor has put FT and suggested the trade options they're looking for. I've even seen that message when the price has been included!

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334298132' post='1613904']
[/quote]

this.... I like to see pics but accept that I can wait for them to appear.

If they don't follow within a day or so..then that is when the sale tends to loose interest..but then again..if it were me buying and I was keen..I'd likely have contacted the seller and got phone pics.

If the seller can't do stuff to facilitate the sale then go elsewhere, but people can be pretty busy as well.

Also, the 'never been gigged' line as well!

I've seen studio basses in awful condition that have 'never been gigged' and basses that have been ruined by the owners dog/cat/children that have also 'never been gigged'.

Just be truthful, tell us if it's in good condition or not (regardless of where it has or hasn't been) and then let us decide if the condition is suitable for us, instead of trying to make a selling point out of something that is irrelevant. It's a sale on a forum, not the friggin' Apprentice!

Next we'll be seeing 'never been played by a guitarist' in sale blurb :P

At any given time there will always be some fashionable 'hot' products that will probably sell with the minimum of effort by the seller.
Ones that come to mind at the moment are Gamma Pads and anything with the word Barefaced on it.
It's just the way a market works. The less desirable a product (for whatever reason, and fair or not), the more effort a seller will have to put in.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1334309523' post='1614106']
You are correct, it's not a rule, although from the other post on this topic you might be missing out on a sale posting items this way.
[/quote]

Have to admit that isn`t something I`d considered, always thought people that were interested would look back. But, as they say, it`s better to advertise to 100%, so I think I`ll have to bear this in mind.

Does everything really need a photo? If I put an ad up for a piece or rack equipment (like the Saffire Pro, I had up yesterday) if I say it's mint/as new/not a mark on it and it works, surely that's enough? If you have the level of trust to buy from someone on here, I think you're just as at risk if it has a photo in the listing.

Basses and cabs, fair enough, there will 99% of the time be small blemishes to highlight, but I don't agree that [i]everything[/i] needs a photo. I'd buy from a thread with a stock photo.

I couldn't care less about photos in the first instance.

I'd want to see photos before parting with money, but I've not problem registering my interest on a description alone.

I can't remember if I've ever posted for sale with no photos though. I would though, if it were convenient. If a buyers gonna flounce cos there ain't no photos, they're probably not gonna buy anyway... Though I'd agree photos do make the experience of the casual [s]tyre-kicker[/s] browser more wholesome.

It's often not the case that two identical items are for sale at once, so why would photography increase the likelihood of sale? For that specific item, there's often no competition. Unless a buyer is looking for "a bass" or "an amp" which is unusual.

Edited by bigjohn

I agree with most of these comments, I'd much rather see some pictures of what I'm potentially going to buy.

[i]That said...[/i]

I do have an ad for a cab up with no pictures! :blush: Posted it a while ago and only managed to get pics last weekend (due to geographical factors!) and it turns out I don't actually know how to update/edit the listing to include the pictures - any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe another sticky in the Marketplace about how to make your listing along with what to include etc. would be useful :rolleyes: