Why become a member? ×

Bonham

thumbo

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334505865' post='1616946']
Competence, feel and technique aside, I think I'd rather be in a band with Mr Peart than the frankly unhinged Mr Bonham. Bit too high-maintenance for me.
[/quote]
Dunno - old Neil doesn't exactly strike me as a barrel full of laughs.....

Listen, if we're going to bash anyone in this thread, why do we have to stick to poor old Peart (and I chose my words...)? From the Bonham era, I have several who could be considered 'bashable', for various reasons.
Twink, for instance (from the 'Pink Fairies'...). What..? You don't remember Twink..? Climbing up to the top of the PA rig, and pretending to be tripping enough to fly off..? The fornication of his drum kit using his phallic throne..? Come on, you must remember him (unless you were equally stoned, of course...)..?
It doesn't stop there, of course. The Edgar Broughton Band. Now there was a drummer (the brother, I seem to recall...) who could be about as bashable as Peart, I would think..? Dunno what became of this iconic figure from a golden age. Much the same style as Bonham; perhaps a tad less lucky in whom he frequented..?
Iconic..? You really want iconic targets..? In stock, sir; step this way...
Keith Moon..? Re-invented the threshing machine.
Nick Mason..? Recorded at 78, played back at 33. That old trick worked for ages...
Charlie Watts..? To be wound up just before the set; all limbs move together in sync until needing re-winding (like those toy monkeys...).
Ginger Baker..? 'Composed' 'Toad'. That, I think, wraps up his career in just two words.
Come on, I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten. If it's bashing you want, it's open season. Leave 'old' Peart to his fans (both of them...); there's much more yet to be done, so little time...
([i]mutters off into the twilight... 'Max Roach; now there was a drummer... When I was a lad...'[/i])

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1334509780' post='1617027']
Keith Moon..? Re-invented the threshing machine.
Nick Mason..? Recorded at 78, played back at 33. That old trick worked for ages...
Charlie Watts..? To be wound up just before the set; all limbs move together in sync until needing re-winding (like those toy monkeys...).
Ginger Baker..? 'Composed' 'Toad'. That, I think, wraps up his career in just two words.
[/quote]

Yeh, it's just that all of those drummers were in bands that were better and considerably more successful than Rush :lol:

(Apologies to Rush fans)

Listen, if we're going to bash anyone in this thread, why do we have to stick to poor old Peart (and I chose my words...)? From the Bonham era, I have several who could be considered 'bashable', for various reasons.
[/quote]

I was gunning for a bit of a Bonham appreciation thread when I posted up the link, how did we get to the Peart bashing? :blink:

[/quote]

Has Nick Mason ever 'bigged' himself up though. The impression I got when reading his book and the interviews I've seen of him, he always seems to regard himself as a bit average at best.

Anyway back to the OP.

I appreciate Bonham for what he left. My fav is Kashmir. Bonham manages to produce the most ponderous heavyweight millstone-around-your-neck groove - utterly superb. Every time I listen I try and work out how he did it. I assume he is deliberately fractionally late with the snare or kick drum to produce that groove.

Anyway respect.

Davo

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1334514172' post='1617098']
I was gunning for a bit of a Bonham appreciation thread when I posted up the link, how did we get to the Peart bashing? :blink:
[/quote]

It's just ... Chinatown, Jake.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yUvdQnERk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yUvdQnERk[/url]

Listen, if we're going to bash anyone in this thread, why do we have to stick to poor old Peart (and I chose my words...)?
[/quote]I really don't think there's been any "bashing" of Peart here. Just a discussion on a musicians weaknesses and strengths...all perfectly reasonable on a musicians forum.

In any case, If there is any "bashing" in this thread, it probably started around about here :[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1334316211' post='1614325']
Not entirely alone... While 'hate' is definitely going too far for me (well not that far, now that I think of it...),
[/quote] ;)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1334523386' post='1617265']...In any case, If there is any "bashing" in this thread, it probably started around about here : ;)
[/quote]Out of context, melud. Bonzo is not the subject in the original quote, but playing along with a second drummer, playing like Bonzo. I wouldn't like that much (...and would you get along as bosom pals with a JPJ look-alike playing bass alongside you..?).
I rest my case.
([i]What do you mean, 'Guilty as charged'..? Where's the justice in that..? I'll be consulting with Perry Mason over this[/i]...)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1334418513' post='1616001']
er..will have to join you, Chris. I can get along with some of his stuff but I wouldn't put him right UP there.
Not a fan of super loose sounding unless it is someone like Chambers who is a Monster.

If drummers go along with the Bonham thing too literally then it is not a good thing from my point of view.
I think he was ahead of the game in a lot of respects and all due credit but give me Ian Piace anyday..
[/quote]
Glad someone said Paicey, I bloody love him. Proper underated or at least not mentioned enough. Saw him live he was incredible and it was so easy for him. Saying that i just love bonzo. That groove....plus no-on plays a straight rock beat as well as he does/did!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1334452921' post='1616457']
Malmsteen is arrogant .tick. King of arpeggios.tick. Albums poor.tick. However, have seen him at music fair at wembley
a few years back.Arrogant etc.very comical without meaning to be.
Saw him headline Hammy Apollo a few years ago, when schenker lost the plot and cancelled, leaving malmsteen to headline.
Malmsteen rocked,) absolute ly brilliant. Saw himat Astoria 2(the small one) shortly after not long before it got demolished.

What some people don't realise, malmsteen has as many imitators as Eddie van halen.

By the way m Bonham is the nuts.)
[/quote]
But non of eddies imitators got anywhere close. Eddie had unique personality and fire in his playing and phrasing. That's the main thing people miss about eddie his phrasing!

Never liked Zeppelin much, despite being an ageing rocker, never liked Bonham, hate that slack-arsed sound. Someone once said he sounded like someone falling down the cellar stairs carrying a load of boxes, and I never got that out of my head.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334520531' post='1617204']
It's just ... Chinatown, Jake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yUvdQnERk[/media]
[/quote]

One of Zep's finest. Bonham was a beast, heavy groove and contagious feel. What makes him great IMO was he and JPJ worked together very well. The lemon song, Achillies last stand, there are lots of great examples. In my time of dying is a good one!

EDIT: I'd be unable to appreciate Bonhams drumming half as much if it wasn't for the awsome combination with JPJ.

I'll leave this here B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyhu2ysqKGk

Edited by PlungerModerno

What I love about this, and is frequently overlooked, is the amount of sound Bonham got out of a small kit : snare, bass, 1 tom and a floor tom - or sometimes 2. It just shows that if you can play - you don't need tons of kit, and have to beat the bejesus out of every single bit of it in one song, because the groove carries the whole thing. No-one plays that languid, funky rock beat like JB.

And the boy Plant could sing a bit too.........................

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byos2Tr5KrM[/media]

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1341080717' post='1713689']
Never liked Zeppelin much, despite being an ageing rocker, never liked Bonham, hate that slack-arsed sound. Someone once said he sounded like someone falling down the cellar stairs carrying a load of boxes, and I never got that out of my head.
[/quote]As an ageing rocker, what kind of things/bands do you like?

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1341080717' post='1713689']
[/quote]
The thing is Bonham's style and sound changed a lot over his career, so at which point are you talking. If you listen at the begining when he was about 19-20. He was all arms, power, bashng and only a little finesse by around the time of Physical Graffiti he had changed his style to playing more with fingers, (trampled underfoot and fool in the rain are good examples) and more control in his playing and probably structure. He was a different drummer by the end the constant being his heavy groove.