Why become a member? ×

BC Meetup in London where we make sure we actually meet up?

Silvia Bluejay

As opposed to all of us being in the same crowded place but missing each other by seconds, or being unable to recognise each other, as happened too often at the London Bass Guitar Show.

Since quite a few of us live in or around London, I was thinking about meeting in a relatively central pub or open space (if/when the weather improves), without bass guitars - just for a drink and a chat and to put faces to screen names. That kind of meetup would probably also be OK to those who otherwise wouldn't be seen dead at a music fair like the Bass Show (I know of at least three of you who feel that way!).

Visiting non-Londoners would be very welcome as well, of course.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Edited by bluejay

Off the top of my head I can only think of the Ealing Jazz Festival, which isn't free but very cheap and has food and clothes stalls etc. But, of course, the music may not be everybody's cuppa.

I'll see if I can think of or find other events we could adopt as an excuse :)

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1333996395' post='1609412']
Good idea. I'm in. Maybe not even a musical-do. I think at the LBGS there were too many other things to side-track us. A pub somewhere that sells ale would be a good start :)
[/quote]

Fine by me (as I'll be having a glass of water or orange juice!) :D

Everybody, do feel free to come up with suggestions for places you'd like - and if we can organise this in the next 5-6 weeks we may avoid the Jubilee/Olympics chaos.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1334002357' post='1609552']
25th to 29th July?

:)
[/quote]

Before that would be best for me please. I go on hols for 2 weeks just then.

I'm fine with the South Bank, or a park with a reasonably near pub in case the weather decides to play up. Or indeed any other suggestion.
If we choose a crowded place I'll try to make sure we can reserve a few tables or an area, and obviously find ways to make it as easy as possible for us to recognise each other.

As for dates - end of May (Sat 26th/Sun 27th)? Or, skipping the Jubilee celebrations, Sat 9th/Sun 10th June? Or mid-June (16th/17th) too.

- Edited due to dates mixup.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1334059231' post='1610219']
Theres some nice pubs in Hammersmith by the river, if the weather is good! :D
[/quote]

They would be walking distance from where I live, and i love them, but perhaps choosing W6 would be a little unfair to those of us who live in the east?

I guess we need to start deciding the date first.

My suggestions, as mentioned above, are

Sat 26th or Sun 27th May
Sat 9th or Sun 10th June
Sat 16th or Sun 17th June.

At the moment I'm fine with all of them. Give us a shout if you have a preference or you can't make one, and we'll see if there's one that makes most of us happy.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1334059400' post='1610223']
They would be walking distance from where I live, and i love them, but perhaps choosing W6 would be a little unfair to those of us who live in the east?
[/quote]

Tru, dat. What about London Bridge, down by the river - easy to get to... More London Riverside is nice. HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge, green spaces, City Hall, architecture, fountains, good pubs/bars and restaurants, etc etc?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334061080' post='1610262']
Tru, dat. What about London Bridge, down by the river - easy to get to... More London Riverside is nice. HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge, green spaces, City Hall, architecture, fountains, good pubs/bars and restaurants, etc etc?
[/quote]

Yes, I like them all.

As for the dates, I did think that Saturdays would probably be when people are gigging, so it will be a Sunday.

If no clear winners emerge, I will start a poll for the dates and, if necessary, one for the place. (That's if I learn how to do it!)

Please keep suggestions coming, for the moment.

Thank you all! I'm looking forward to this, and if we are successful we can make it a regular occurrence.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334061080' post='1610262']
[/quote]

Yeah, i love it down there. I was out with Fran (GW) a few weeks ago, late at night and saw a Fox at wandering around More London.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1334061590' post='1610268']

As for the dates, I did think that Saturdays would probably be when people are gigging, so it will be a Sunday.

[/quote]

Sunday might be a bit rubbish if people have to rely upon trains to get there due to engineering works . If they dig up the Orpington Line then I'm buggered :(