Why become a member? ×

Buying from individuals online

JayPH

Hi Guys.

Sorry, havent been contributing for ages. Last time I came on I was moaning about a scracth on my bass. Little did I know life was about to shoot me once again out of it's sh*t cannon and thus teach me about getting things in proportion. Amen.

Anyway, I have been looking at second hand basses on here and was wondering if anyone else has bought a bass from a person online and if so, how did you go about it? I've read the sticky about asking for photographs and all that but at the end of the day how do you go about payment? Do you send a cheque to the persons address?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

J

ive been doing it for years J.. Payment wise alot of people use paypal... ive payed for alot of basses up front and with the good ole basschat community, i felt assured.. it really depends on who you are buying from... sometimes if possible a meet up is good.... my last bass was bought from Simon.. we had a chat on the phone after a few PM's.. i sent him payment... he sent me the bass... caution is sometimes a good thing,as not everyone is reliable as Simon and others..

I`ve bought and sold a fair few basses on here J, and one from Ebay. Re purchases, have always gone for the gut feeling when dealing, and usually the first message or two will give me the feeling all is ok to proceed. Saying that, I`ve never pulled out of a deal because I got a bad feeling, such has been my good fortune here on Basschat.

Re payment, Paypal is a good option. You can get it linked to a bank account and/or a credit card, so your spending power is instant, plus the transaction can be traced - always good to show honesty on your part, especially if you save all of the e-mails/messages relevant to the transaction, just in case you need to prove your case so to speak. Of course, cash on collection is always an option.

Re the basses themselves - it`s wise to spend a good couple of hours on researching the item you are buying. For example, if getting a 70s Fender Precision, research what style bridge, where the serial number should be, what logo should be on the headstock, then compare to the posted photos, and if you want more photos for reassurance, ask the seller. I`ve ben asked to provide more photos of some of my basses, ans it`s not a problem. Genuine sellers with genuine items want the sale, and won`t be put off by questions/requests.

If buying off of here, check out the users feedback. A very good way of determining whether to proceed or not.

Good luck, and be warned, it never stops at "just one bass/purchase".

Pretty much agree with Loz. I've had nothing but good experiences but I put the homework in and walked away if my gut instinct said it was a howler.

And the one time it did go wrong (just remembered) I paid with paypal so had no issues there either. I dread to think how many I bought & sold during my GAS years

I've often met up in person when I've bought anything here, so payment isn't a problem. On the occasions when I've bought without meeting up I think I've just used paypal. A word of caution with paypal though - don't send the money a 'gift'. Several people here got sting by a scammer who was answering posts in the Items Wanted forum - those who had sent their money as a gift fell outside of paypal's protection scheme. If you want some extra insurance, use a credit card to fund your paypal transaction.

I've bought instruments and other stuff from the For Sale here several times (my feedback was a hot topic a while back - sad, isn't it!), eBay several times, and never had a problem with PayPal or bank transfer or, if convenient, cash on collection/meeting up. I feel trading on here is particualrly safe but with eBay alwasy check out someone's feedback as thoroughly as possible before committing to a decent amount of cash. Nothing in life is risk free, you just do what you can to mitigate it.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff here but not a bass. Personally I think I'd want to handle something as potentially distinctive as a bass before committing to it, especially as it's unlikely it could be returned to the seller. But that's just a personal thing.

For all the other gear, I've tried to collect in person and pay cash - which gives the added benefit of meeting some fellow BCers - but it hasn't always been possible. In those cases I've paid by bank transfer and have never had any problems with things arriving safely.

I'd be wary of buying from a new member who immediately posts stuff for sale but my experience of the BC marketplace has been totally positive.

Cheers fellas. I think i'll wait for somthing more local for my first purchase so I can try before I buy but there are some very tempting offers at the moment. I thought Fender Basses held their value more but I guess people just haven't got the cash to spare.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1333580486' post='1603975']
Cheers fellas. I think i'll wait for somthing more local for my first purchase so I can try before I buy but there are some very tempting offers at the moment. I thought Fender Basses held their value more but I guess people just haven't got the cash to spare.
[/quote]

I think that is very wise for a first purchase. I have bought several guitars and bass on ebay. One was a rip off as the seller mentioned there were some scratches on the back but didn't mention they were through to the wood. I have also had my best purchase off ebay so you take your money and takes your chance. I'm waiting for a Spector Legend Custom to arrive at the moment so fingers grossed! There are always so many things about descriptions that are subjective e.g. playing action, good for its age etc. If its your first instrument you don't want a duffer.

Ordering new is no guarentee either but if its from a reputable dealer at least you can return it if faulty.

Edited by Pinball

Questions : who would normally pay the PayPal fees ? The buyer or the seller?

Is it expected that the despatching seller pays the carriage insurance ? I assume if it's damaged in transit the seller should refund the buyer and then claim off the carrier for repair or replacement ?

[i]Ive just brought a bass from a newbie with only 11 posts. I agreed a price sent him the cash through bank transfer without even knowing his surname, address or phone number.[/i]

[i]I have a lot of faith in this site, and the fact that bass players are generally the nicest and most modest people around. Everyone I have met through this forum have been first class people. It kind of restore's my faith in human kind. Under no other circumstances would I part with money not knowing any details other than a user name and a first name in any other line of business.[/i]

[i]have faith in bass players... they are the greatest[/i]

[i]regards[/i]

[i]Mark[/i]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1333657826' post='1605072']

Is it expected that the despatching seller pays the carriage insurance ? I assume if it's damaged in transit the seller should refund the buyer and then claim off the carrier for repair or replacement ?
[/quote]

Both are things that are agreed with the deal. Usually the seller stipulates they want the full amount, so the Paypal fees are covered by the buyer.

I don`t know about other sellers, but I always send my items insured, so when I advertise something with postage included, the fee takes the insurance into account. I also provide the buyer with the relevant tracking number and website, so they can keep an eye on it.

In any instance of the item being lost/damaged in transit it would be down to the sender to make the claim.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1333610569' post='1604070']
I think that is very wise for a first purchase. I have bought several guitars and bass on ebay. One was a rip off as the seller mentioned there were some scratches on the back but didn't mention they were through to the wood. I have also had my best purchase off ebay so you take your money and takes your chance. I'm waiting for a Spector Legend Custom to arrive at the moment so fingers grossed! There are always so many things about descriptions that are subjective e.g. playing action, good for its age etc. If its your first instrument you don't want a duffer.

Ordering new is no guarentee either but if its from a reputable dealer at least you can return it if faulty.
[/quote]

Cheers Pinball. I've had a couple of bad experiences on Ebay buying other things. I don't like buying expensive items on Ebay but this site just seems legit. Hope your Spector turns up as you expect. I do already have a decent usa jazz special but I'll have a bit of money coming my way and have decided to get some company for my J. I've gone from being certain that I wanted a Fender P-bass but now I'm wanting a Musicman Stingray and a Sandberg haha. I've decided to go to pmt in manchester and try each of them and then try summore in Dawsons so I know what I want. I like the security of buying new but it's like buying a new car. As soon as you leave the shop your bass has lost about 40% of its value.

It's a great buzz though. I can see why people have lots of guitars now :)

As well as Basschat, you have the local options on Gumtree, Preloved and to a lesser extent, Northwest bands. Most things on the local sections of the site should be easily close enough to go and have a look/play.
For example, a month or so back, on both Manchester and Liverpoll Gumtree, there was a stunning, natural Fender Deluxe Precision at a very reasonable £600. Wish I'd bought the bugger now :lol: .
The hardest and most important factor is PATIENCE :lol: .
Good luck,
Karl.

A 'me too' - very positive experiences on here. Just a couple of things...

Make sure you send - or recieve - the bass properly insured. Some companies (notably Parcelforce) don't insure musical instruments. What you don't want to do is to fall out with the seller if the courier breaks or looses it. For a 1k instrument it will add around 20 quid to the carriage (with Interparcel anyway).

If it's a new person on here with no feedback, I have been known to ask for a photo of some ID. Also use PayPal to pay. It all helps. A genuine seller will not be offended.

If you buy something sight-unseen and don't like it, you can always sell it on. It's all part of the fun and it keeps the courier companies in business. The BC etiquette is that you don't buy and sell to make a profit though :angry:

And once again... if the deal seems too good to be true... it IS!! :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1333657826' post='1605072']

[/quote]

There are no real 'rules' as such, everything is by negotiation but - as others have pointed out - the seller usually states a price that they want to receive, which seems a reasonable starting point. Also, the buyer may want to stipulate a certain courier and perhaps even the type of packaging, so it seems reasonable for them to pay the relevant costs.

But the really important thing, I'd say, is good communication so that both parties are totally clear and fully understand their own responsibilities as part fo the deal.

@karlfer thanks man will take a look at those sources. I am crap at the patience bit but you are right. I need to get some willpower from somewhere.

@thepurpleblob. Thanks for the tips. I was thinking that myself about selling the bass on if I didn't like it for whatever reason. It's a good way to try a lot of basses especailly doing trades. A new bass every so often for the price of P&P :)

A word of caution from the other side. If you are selling, and it is being collected, DO NOT accept Paypal, insist on cash. Reason is, they take your goods, then complain to Paypal that there is a problem (or even that they have not got them), Paypal stop the payment from your account and you are going to get your goods back how?

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1333740617' post='1606041']
A word of caution from the other side. If you are selling, and it is being collected, DO NOT accept Paypal, insist on cash. Reason is, they take your goods, then complain to Paypal that there is a problem (or even that they have not got them), Paypal stop the payment from your account and you are going to get your goods back how?

Steve
[/quote]

My understanding is that for PayPal protection to be valid the item HAS to be delivered and HAS to be signed for. Meeting in a service station car park and doing the deal will not (should not) cover the buyer. Of course, if you're doing that, cash is probably a better idea regardless.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1333672175' post='1605247']
Cheers Pinball. I've had a couple of bad experiences on Ebay buying other things. I don't like buying expensive items on Ebay but this site just seems legit. Hope your Spector turns up as you expect. I do already have a decent usa jazz special but I'll have a bit of money coming my way and have decided to get some company for my J. I've gone from being certain that I wanted a Fender P-bass but now I'm wanting a Musicman Stingray and a Sandberg haha. I've decided to go to pmt in manchester and try each of them and then try summore in Dawsons so I know what I want. I like the security of buying new but it's like buying a new car. As soon as you leave the shop your bass has lost about 40% of its value.

It's a great buzz though. I can see why people have lots of guitars now :)
[/quote]

The Spector turned up yestarday, condition is exactly as described. It is really well set up, with a maxed out EMG BTB 18v system so sounds great. It is something I was unlikely to find locally. :gas: The great thing about buying on line is the amazing choice.

PMT in Bristol is great, the guys there are really helpful. I must admit I never bought a guitar from them despite lots of visits but have bought lots of other things.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1333740617' post='1606041']

Steve
[/quote]
Also Paypal/ebay charges are now more substantial than the were so need to be factored into your selling price. I always try gumtree/preloved first just in case there is someone around the corner that wants to buy your item.

Edited by Pinball