Why become a member? ×

Help with finding a hollow body/semi acoustic bass *Sorted*

Valhalalf

Hey guys

I've started doing some acoustic trio sets in pubs and at weddings using my jazz bass which is fine but not in the vibe of the acoustic thing. I really want to bring something a little different to these gigs than my usual gigging bass.

After lots of um-ing and ah-ing over whether I shoud buy another acoustic or an EUB or a Ukele I think I'm now set on getting a fretless semi acoustic bass in the Godin A5 style.

I really like the idea of the thinner electric body for comfort but with the piezo acoustic bridge. I know there's a lot of expensive options (Godin, Renaissance, Rob Allen) but after tralling the interwebs I was hoping some people on here could point me in a different direction.

I really liked the look of the Fender a/e pbass with it's semi body, f hole and acoustic bridge plus the option of blending in the lace sensors for a touch of electric bass. But perhaps a bit out of my price range atm and kinda hard to come by.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated :D

Edited by Valhalalf

I've got a Yamaha Bex. I bought it off Tom the EssexBassCat on this forum. A very nice bass, if you like the styling, and typical Yamaha high quality. I don't think they're still made, but worth a look I think. If you want you can come look at mine. As well as the obvious soap-bar there's a piezo pickup under the bridge and a pan knob to blend output between the two.

Here she is, 'Mavis'

Edited by Len_derby

I like the look of the bex, very pretty, and a bit of googling shows they did do a fretless version but it seems more likely to find rocking horse poo.

I did look at the Alien basses but I really wanted to move away from the full body acoustic bass. I've found acoustic basses arent quite loud enough unplugged with other instruments and as we go through a PA I'd rather go for the comfort of a semi.

Just been looking at the epiphone zenith fretless. If only it had 5 strings, I'd be getting my credit card out now.

Edited by Valhalalf

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1332794463' post='1593313']
Where are these £350?? Looking to upgrade my Takamine.
[/quote]

Here ya go :)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_alien_standard_fretless.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_alien_standard_fretless.htm[/url]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332794958' post='1593326']
Here ya go :)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_alien_standard_fretless.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...rd_fretless.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I was looking at these yesterday. They're Rockbass, that's why they're £350.
I've only ever played 1 Rockbass & there was nothing "Rock" about it. The components was the nastiest things I've touched. But Thomann give a 30 day return period so if it's junk, then you aren't stuck with it.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1332794120' post='1593306']
I like the look of the bex, very pretty, and a bit of googling shows they did do a fretless version but it seems more likely to find rocking horse poo.
[/quote]

If you're working within a strict budget what about defretting or neck replacement for a fretted bass you like the look of?.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1332795300' post='1593336']
I was looking at these yesterday. They're Rockbass, that's why they're £350.
I've only ever played 1 Rockbass & there was nothing "Rock" about it. The components was the nastiest things I've touched. But Thomann give a 30 day return period so if it's junk, then you aren't stuck with it.
[/quote]

Well Warwick are leading manufacturers of musical marmite. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332799025' post='1593426']
Well Warwick are leading manufacturers of musical marmite. :)
[/quote]

Very true. I tried a Warwick $$ & really liked it. I dare say there's good Rockbass's out there too.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1332797168' post='1593384']
If you're working within a strict budget what about defretting or neck replacement for a fretted bass you like the look of?.
[/quote]

That's an obvious option I had overlooked, will have to keep my eye out for something. I'm still quite taken with the fretless Epiphone Zenith

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332853341' post='1593953']
Doesn't quite fall within the rules as it's fretted but from a purely aesthetic pov this is my fave
[/quote]

It's really nice but leans a bit more towards the electric vibe than the acoustic vibe I'm after

It also turns out the Zenith has been discontinued and I can't find a fretless version in stock anywhere

Always the way lol

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1332866305' post='1594188']
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-zenith-fretless-bass/33025"]Epiphone zenith fretless seems in stock here[/url]
[/quote]

I haven't phoned GAK yet but I always presume if you have to call then it's a special order jobby and there's none to order.

I've spoken to a friend at a music shop who's gonna have a word with the epiphone rep and see what's shaking.

I did see that one on ebay last night but initially was put off with the lack of personal description. Read the question/answer bit now where there was a bit more detail. It's in my watch list.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1333026951' post='1596366']
....My mate called the epiphone rep and there is non in the UK for distribution so it's second hand or a rare find on the Zenith. I think the search has continued....
[/quote]
[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1332866564' post='1594192']
....Fretless Epiphone Zenith on ebay right now....
[/quote]

[shouting] One on ebay right now for £450.... [/shouting]

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1332780572' post='1593029']
Hey guys
I've started doing some acoustic trio sets in pubs and at weddings using my jazz bass which is fine but not in the vibe of the acoustic thing. I really want to bring something a little different to these gigs than my usual gigging bass.
After lots of um-ing and ah-ing over whether I shoud buy another acoustic or an EUB or a Ukele I think I'm now set on getting a fretless semi acoustic bass in the Godin A5 style.
I really like the idea of the thinner electric body for comfort but with the piezo acoustic bridge. I know there's a lot of expensive options (Godin, Renaissance, Rob Allen) but after tralling the interwebs I was hoping some people on here could point me in a different direction.I really liked the look of the Fender a/e pbass with it's semi body, f hole and acoustic bridge plus the option of blending in the lace sensors for a touch of electric bass. But perhaps a bit out of my price range atm and kinda hard to come by.
Any suggestions will be most appreciated :D
[/quote]

I was in a similar situation myself, considering the defret route, but I would prefer an unlined board. Check out this link and drop me a pm if it is of interest to you. There doesn't seem to be too much around at the moment in terms of fretless five string basses.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171481-5-string-status-electro-for-sale-or-trade-for-5-string-fretless/page__p__1587031#entry1587031"]http://basschat.co.u...31#entry1587031[/url]

Have you tried an Italia Mondial bass? They are electric HBs with some very interesting tones. They pop up used pretty cheap, and the two I've tried played great and sounded amazing. I think you can get some very different results by trying it with different strings as well.

They look pretty cool too, at least to me.

edited to add:

Ignore this if you are looking for a fretless only, of course.

I have played a Rob Allen Deep 4 and it was the single coolest instrument I've ever heard for upright tones. So expressive and amazingly well built, they are masterpeices. If I had a band that I needed that kind of vibe for I'd sell anything to get one used.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyf9KBDkXjM[/media]

Edited by One Drop