Why become a member? ×

High(er) end 5 string bass advice?

Walker

After trying one, I’ve been after a fiver Dingwall (ABII or Z) for a while, but the right one at the right price are like hen’s teeth.

What other brands/models should I be considering that have a good B string tension, (fairly balanced with the EADG)?

I currently play a passive 4 string jazz with Wizard 84 pups and flats, and like the manageable neck, so that would need to be a consideration.

I’m also thinking I would like to move to active too, but that’s less of an issue – I would rather a solid, supremely playable fiver.

I’ve seen some nice Roscoes and Spectors 2nd hand for about the right money (£2k but could stretch to £3K for the right instrument).

Any advice on what to look at would be appreciated,

Many thanks indeed.

Edited by Walker

From what I've heard, the low B on Musicman Stingrays is incredible for a 34" bass, but if I was you mate, I'd go for a UK based custom build if you're looking at that kind of money.
A few builders in the UK have done and probably still would do fanned fret builds, and if you're going custom, you could tweak the scale(s) to how you want them if you find the regular Dingwall 37" reach a bit much.

ACG would get my vote, they're are making a fanned fret 6er right now which is 36" to 33" >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/254/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/254/[/url]
(other scale lengths are available... ;) )

Cheers,
Eude

Thank you gents.
To be honest, I feel I’m not ready for a custom build just yet – I need a few more years under my belt. Maybe for my 50[sup]th[/sup].
I think a fairly easily re-sellable bass that will hold its value will be a better bet for me as it’s going to be my first five string and who knows – lots of folk don’t get on with them.
That’s not a defeatist attitude – I’m just trying to be realistic!

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1332412996' post='1587834']
Thank you gents.
To be honest, I feel I’m not ready for a custom build just yet – I need a few more years under my belt. Maybe for my 50[sup]th[/sup].
I think a fairly easily re-sellable bass that will hold its value will be a better bet for me as it’s going to be my first five string and who knows – lots of folk don’t get on with them.
[/quote]

That's fair enough then mate.
I'd certainly have a look at Stingray 5ers then, you can probably pickup a nice used one on here and sell on easily enough.
I think if you did get hold of a Dingwall, you'd be in the same boat as a custom if it came to selling it on, they have very little mass appeal as the whole concept hasn't quite stuck yet, probably worth considering.
If you like your more trad basses, I tried an American Standard Fender P 5 string a while back and it wasn't bad at all, the B's on Fenders 5 strings get fairly mixed reviews, but the good ones are apparently very good.

Good luck!
Eude

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1332413393' post='1587847']
My personal choice in that kind of price range would probably be a Stingray 5, or possibly a Sadowsky.

Liam
[/quote]

Oh yeah, a Sadowsky maybe as well, they have no problem shifting secondhand either.
(I'd still go for an ACG though... :yarr: )

Always get killer Bs from my GB Rumour and Spitfires (35" scale), if you aren't looking for custom made jobbies though, in my experience, Lakland and Roscoe 35" scale basses rule. (I'd still go for a GB though... :yarr: )

As for Dingwalls, the bottom end is great - but I've found no better than the above mentioned brands... but I find the volume balance between strings on a Dingwall not equally matched (despite the Dingwall sales blurb). Like everything, test, test and test again... let your ears be the judge.

For easiest resale, Stingray... but be prepared to lose nearly 40-50% of your purchase price (assuming you are buying new).

Edited by EBS_freak

If you want a 'killer' B then it already sounds like you are pretty set up with your GB gear - always amazing for that. And obviously 35" is good for that side of things, but IME drastically changes the rest of the strings..

The only reason I thought I'd chip in is because you say you are playing your Jazz bass a lot (4 string). I've just found a deluxe Fender 5 (Alder, R/w), and it truly feels and sounds totally in the same ball park as my 4 string old Jazz bass that I love. The preamp is fantastic too. I've had loads of high end gear, but really recommend playing these when you see one. I know there a lot of variations within these basses, and all the hand made stuff is amazingly assembled, but the feel and tone blows everything I've had out of the water. Wierd. just saying ...

How about one of these?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166546-fsft-fender-roscoe-beck-v/page__p__1541570__hl__roscoe%20beck__fromsearch__1#entry1541570"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166546-fsft-fender-roscoe-beck-v/page__p__1541570__hl__roscoe%20beck__fromsearch__1#entry1541570[/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1332414776' post='1587872']
How about one of these?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166546-fsft-fender-roscoe-beck-v/page__p__1541570__hl__roscoe%20beck__fromsearch__1#entry1541570"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1541570[/url]
[/quote]

Hot damn, these are meant to be very good basses...

The best thing about the Dingwall seems to be that the low B has the same tone and character as the other strings due to it's immense scale length, a lot of normal (34") scale length 5 stringers the low B sounds a bit dull and lifeless compared to the other 4 strings. Then when you actually use the lower range it really sounds like the bottom has dropped out of the song, although having very fresh strings helps fix this problem.

I play Status S2 classic 5s, mine are all headed and have a longer scale length (34 3/4") and the graphite neck really brings the low B to life and makes it sound like it more like the other strings. They have very slim stable necks thanks to the graphite, however they have a modern tone that's a world away from the more classic sounding Dingwall so they might not be to your taste.

A lot of Status players seem like a really twangy tone and super light strings but the basses are actually capable of all sorts of sounds. Don't be put off by what you hear on Youtube, might be worth trying one out if you can.

I'm not sure the scale length is the only way to achieve a good low B, both my current basses and have 33" scale length and the low B on both is fantastic, in fact it wipes the floor with other low B's I've tried on basses I won't name here, ranging from 34" to 36" in scale length.
The additional length of course plays a part, and is obviously the [i]easy[/i] way to get a good low B, but a super stiff stable neck and body construction, plus some additional luthier voodoo can get you there too.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332416690' post='1587908']
I'm not sure the scale length is the only way to achieve a good low B, both my current basses and have 33" scale length and the low B on both is fantastic, in fact it wipes the floor with other low B's I've tried on basses I won't name here, ranging from 34" to 36" in scale length.
The additional length of course plays a part, and is obviously the [i]easy[/i] way to get a good low B, but a super stiff stable neck and body construction, plus some additional luthier voodoo can get you there too.

Eude
[/quote]

Indeed - I don't disagree with this. Theres as much in the stiffness of the neck and the ability of the pickups and preamp to transfer the vibrations into a solid sounding B. Good pickups and preamp, solid contruction, luthier voodoo [i]then[/i] you get a good B. Scale length only serves to add a sprinking on top of a good solid B already.

Of course, one persons idea of a good sounding low B and another's is always open for debate. The Dingwall low B has never been a selling point for me... as I simply think there are better out there without the fanned frets... but thats not to say the Dingwall B isn't good...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332416690' post='1587908']

Eude
[/quote]

Fair enough although that's not been my experience, although I agree neck stiffness is a factor. Had a listen to the tracks you did for Hoochie Fig and your 33" sounds great, very nice playing too!

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1332417888' post='1587935']
Fair enough although that's not been my experience, although I agree neck stiffness is a factor. Had a listen to the tracks you did for Hoochie Fig and your 33" sounds great, very nice playing too!
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks mate :) Very kind of you to say.

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

Get thee to the Gallery/Bass Direct/Bass Merchant and try everything there.
Don't discount anything until you've tried it.

That approach has served me well in the past.
Another important factor in 5 strings is how well the B integrates with the other 4 strings. A good B string alone is not enough...

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1332412996' post='1587834']
Thank you gents.
[/quote]

If you are concerned about resale because you are unsure i you'll get on with a five,I personally wouldn't be looking at
spending 2 or 3 grand. You can easily buy something like a Warwick,Fender or Musicman 5 string for well under a £1000.
In fact,my Roscoe LG3500 and Shuker Singlecut 5 were under a grand and my (German) Warwick Streamer LX5 was
under £500!!

Thanks everyone, as ever, this place always amazes me.

Doddy - I think you are dead right, now I've looked beyond the Dingwalls, I can see some wonderful instruments around the £1k mark. I've got my eye on a certain Roscoe as I type!

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1333022038' post='1596261']
After Doddy's advice, I'm now the proud owner of BigJim's Roscoe Century 5, so I'm going to see how I get on with that
[/quote]
Good call....Roscoe make stunning instruments. I love mine.