Why become a member? ×

Muting

Bloc Riff Nut

I need to mute my strings for à nummer of songs in my new band. I have à 75 jazz with à bridge pup cover That i never mouted so i suppose i could mount it and use rubber in there like the old precisions. I often play resting my thumb on the bridge pup so i'd rather not do that. Are there any bridges with built in dumping/muting that would fit my bass? After à web search i could only find seperate muting systems that have to be screwed to the bass. I know rickenbackers have a bridge with muting built in, would that fit?
The songs are à bit too uptempo for traditional palm muting, unless i start playing with à plectrum.

How do you guys do it?

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by Bloc Riff Nut

• 3 weeks later...

Timely thread as i did my first gig with a bit of spong under the strings last weekend and was rather impressed with the tone.

I did find it a bit of a pain taking it out and putting it back quickly (giggady) so on the look out for something better. The Bass mute is a bit too costly at the mo but i had seen the Muffler on YT and wondered if anyone was using them.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1334156104' post='1611752']
Mute with the left hand.
[/quote]

I don't get this, unless you're left-handed. How can you do that if you're fretting the notes at the same time?
There is playing ghost notes, but that's not the subject of the thread AFAICS.
Palm muting is an option, using the plucking hand.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1334159975' post='1611830']

I don't get this, unless you're left-handed. How can you do that if you're fretting the notes at the same time?
There is playing ghost notes, but that's not the subject of the thread AFAICS.
Palm muting is an option, using the plucking hand.
[/quote]

How many fingers do you use to fret ?
Use the ones you're not using to mute the strings. If I'm slapping octaves then I use fingers 1 and 4 to fret, and my 2nd finger I use as a mute.

Edited by kjb

We did a tower of power song in a live performance workshop at college recently. Prestia mostly uses one finger to fret the notes, the others are muting the strings. It's quite an easy technique to use.

Just use your index finger to fret the notes. Use your ring finger and little finger to lightly mute the strings. Be careful because it's easy to end up sounding harmonics.

Edited by kjb

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1334510370' post='1617042']
We did a tower of power song in a live performance workshop at college recently. Prestia mostly uses one finger to fret the notes, the others are muting the strings. It's quite an easy technique to use.

Just use your index finger to fret the notes. Use your ring finger and little finger to lightly mute the strings. Be careful because it's easy to end up sounding harmonics.
[/quote]

but read the OP, that's not the sort of muting being discussed here :)

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1335021455' post='1624850']
It gives you the same result !
[/quote]

No, muting with your fretting hand does not give you the same "thump thump" sound you get when palm muting at the bridge, which is what these mutes sort of do.
With your fretting hand you stop the vibrations by touching it along its length. Palm muting makes the sound (still pitched just about right) duller by interfering with the string just where it's anchored, leaving the whole length of the string to give you the expected pitch (more or less). It's an entirely different sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1335020979' post='1624838']
but read the OP, that's not the sort of muting being discussed here :)
[/quote]

You need to read the full thread :D .

Post number 12 clearly asks about left hand muting. What kjb has done is to answer that, hence his posting number 13.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1335186579' post='1626842']
You need to read the full thread :D .

Post number 12 clearly asks about left hand muting. What kjb has done is to answer that, hence his posting number 13.
[/quote]

The way ive read it is that John (JTUK) posted about using left hand muting and someone gave a reply but neither was from the OP.

:)
For what its worth im really enjoying having foam under the strings on my CVP. Even though i play with a pick most of the time im getting a bit more "thump" out of my rig, even though its at the expense of overtones etc.
Its not a tone ill use all the time but its helped a lot with the Motown stuff and im now contemplating getting some proper foam mutes.

I have tried muting with the left hand but i dont hear the same thump as when the strings are muted at the bridge

I played a stingray once that had adjustable foam mutes, they were raised up and down by fiddly threaded things.
Someone ought to design something similar that works by lever, can work above or below the strings, and maybe just attaches to the sides of the bridge.

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1335211382' post='1627433']
I played a stingray once that had adjustable foam mutes, they were raised up and down by fiddly threaded things.
Someone ought to design something similar that works by lever, can work above or below the strings, and maybe just attaches to the sides of the bridge.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html[/url]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335211744' post='1627441']

[url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute...._mainframe.html[/url]
[/quote]

That what im going to get. There was one on here a few weeks ago but i wasn't interested in muting at that time :-(