Why become a member? ×

Muting

Bloc Riff Nut

Palm mute and thumb nail would be my take on getting that 70's movie score sound..but you'd have to throw the pick away.
If you use a pick you can still use the palm... you can get to the same place/sound or if you want the speed of the pick you will
need to damp the notes with the left hand.

Depends how often you want to use it... if it is a whole sound/technique thing then you can go with the foam or mutes idea..but if you
want to go back to a normal sound for other songs, you'll need to be able to switch between sounds quickly ..or basses.

If you are using mutes or foam...then you still need a lot of attack or you are in dub-land. Live, you might have a lot of problems
having to use so much bass in differcult rooms/stages..

Yeah, i realise the pick needs to go to get that authentic tone, i'm working hard to get up to speed with my fingers. Ive found having the foam tone (good phrase) is helping me get there.
i definitely need a normal tone and yes, its taking me a bit too long to get the foam back in so i need to sort something to. To be honest in my case its not the end of the world what i do, after all ive been in this band for 9 years and getting the "correct" tone has never really cropped up, its just something i'd like to experiment with now.
Before i thought of using foam i have been using the palm mute/pick combination to good effect, but it was because i wanted to use fingers more that i turned to the foam as i find palm muting and finger playing a bit difficult to do at gig speed.

I know what you mean about "dub-land". The first time i used the foam my drummer said he couldn't really hear what i was playing, it was too muffled. This i found surprising because i never thought he listened to me anyway ;-)

My cab is a bit low end shy so it its not sounding too bad at the moment. The foam is giving me a bit more of a traditional bass tone if that makes sense. I have noticed i dont bother using my BDDI in the smaller rooms, especially those with hollow stages .

was looking for something with a bit more attack on it..but a good start.
You might see a few people add a finger in there for a bit of speed and nuance...without losing the dampening effect

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYceQadUXTI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYceQadUXTI&feature=related[/url]

Cheers John.

Funny enough i never use a pick at home, and quite often play as if i had one between my thumb and finger, but just use the edge of my thumb.

At home i can play like in those vids but when i tried it at a gig i just couldn't keep up, thats when i turned to the foam. Although i could practice it im trying to develop my finger playing speed so this technique will have to wait.

ha ha ..Dave, after all this..I was poodling around today and find that I hardly use the palm as it is too restrictive as far as I am concerned...I use the lower arm.
It is good for a double bass type sound and the nail and thumb together is great for that 70's pron movies musac.

It is funny how threads like these wake you up to make you look at what you actually do as opposed to what you think you do..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1335268979' post='1628290']
this one has the nail to add attack at around 3:50
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSJMUsk-x_o[/media]
[/quote]

Bass face alert!

Check out face at 1.06 harrrr, harrrr.