Why become a member? ×

is your rig a keeper?

bubinga5

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1331909860' post='1580804']
Will find out this weekend, Fri/Sat night gigs with new rig, GB Shuttle 6, EBS Neo212. Just for good measure chucking a 37ish year old Rick copy into the mix.
Got to show our Blackstar boys some spine :lol:
[/quote]

I have a GB Shuttle 6 .. but through a Hartke 410 Transporter. want a cab with a little more kick ... so would be interesting to see how this setup sounds!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331846138' post='1579937']
I'm currently using a Peavey Tour 700 and Warwick 1x15 and 2x10 cabs and am quite happy with that for the time being.

But if Roland were to re-release their DB-210 combo and powered extension cab then I'd be very tempted... :)
[/quote]

I've been using the Tour 450 into a BFM Omni 10 (2x10) and it super fantastic, lightweight and powerful. I have an extra Warwick 2x10 that's been collecting dust since my Omni arrived. I haven't need anything else even for big venues.

Those Peavey Tours are great!

Edited by Mcgiver69

I've never had the slightest interest in buying or even just trying out loads of amps & cabs.

I've only had four amps (three combos & a stack) in 33+ years of playing, and I'm still not sure why I bought the last one as I was perfectly happy with the one it replaced.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331905784' post='1580727']
I always wonder about the guys using the smaller single 12 cabinets how you get on with them. You ever struggle for level or monitoring on stage? I know quite a few players using the single Markbass 12's, mostly for portability purposes, something that living up north I've never struggled with because transport has never been an issue (up until last month I had a big Eden rig), however I'm guessing that if I ever make the move to London I'll need to downsize my rig to be able to get around as well. Just curious to know your experiences really!
[/quote]

My own personal view is that single 12"s aren't anywhere near enough for a kicking band on a decent size stage or outside. You might be able to hear them in your own monitor space, but the rest of the band wont..and the gig might suffer from that.
But... if you pair them up then you have a much better and bigger sound than you'd expect..so much so, IME.

FWIW... if the stage is a decent size, I'll run 2x210 over 2x112

I've heard many a little Markbass 112 combo try..and the FOH does kick in but if you get anywhere near the stage, the sound is weedy, IMO.
I just think it is asking a lot from a single 12..to keep up with punchy gtr and drums.
If you added an ext cab then you'd be in a far better place soundw-ise IMO.

I play with a light touch and a single 12 is a jazz gig only for me.

I always wonder about the guys using the smaller single 12 cabinets how you get on with them. You ever struggle for level or monitoring on stage? I know quite a few players using the single Markbass 12's, mostly for portability purposes, something that living up north I've never struggled with because transport has never been an issue (up until last month I had a big Eden rig), however I'm guessing that if I ever make the move to London I'll need to downsize my rig to be able to get around as well. Just curious to know your experiences really!
[/quote]

I use mine on its own for small jazz gigs when volume isn't huge. Most other gigs I use it for monitoring in addition to a DI to the PA. that provides the extra volume and can be adjusted for the front of house sound, and I can have an entirely different (if I want) stage sound for monitoring. I can honestly say, I've played small venues to full on venues with it and it's never ever not done the job (and done it to a superb standard)... Probably why it always confusing me when people choose to bust their balls carrying massive cabs about to every gig when a 1 x 12 can compete quite easily for quality of sound.

Having recently borrowed (from the support band) an Ampeg 8 x 10 with a Mesa boogie valve head for a gig down south, I honestly wasn't impressed. It lacked the definition and tonal qualities that my rig has in bucket loads and whilst it offered more power when cranked, the sound guy had a DI so just asked me to turn down on stage anyway. Either way, I couldn't get it to push a sound that I liked. It seemed to be more about rumbling everyone's balls and blowing their eardrums out than offering tonal variety and control.

Basically, small rig is great for me and I honestly wouldn't change it for the world.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1331887417' post='1580297']
I can get attached to an instrument because it's such a tactile thing but not amps. Black boxes with knobs on. I want them to sound OK in 'neutral' and not break - nothing more.
[/quote]

+1
Tone neutral, reliable and 'man enough' to last for four years is all I'm looking for from a technical perspective.
Logistically they need to be sensibly moveable and not be visually distracting - the punters are there to hear me, not to be dazzled by a fireworks display of flashing lights.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1331896684' post='1580522']
Anyone I,ve talked to that have them all speak highly of these but tend to whisper and not shout about them.
[/quote]

+1
You hardly ever see the larger Roland gear used but on the occasions where I've heard a particularly pleasing (to me) tone it's often been Roland kit producing it.
There are still a few DB's knocking around in stores so I'm hoping to grab one as soon as I can afford to.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1331916944' post='1580937']
I've been using the Tour 450 into a BFM Omni 10 (2x10) and it super fantastic, lightweight and powerful. I have an extra Warwick 2x10 that's been collecting dust since my Omni arrived. I haven't need anything else even for big venues.

Those Peavey Tours are great!
[/quote]

Taking mine down to Peavey next week to have a couple of minor niggles sorted out on it but all in all it's done pretty well over the last three years. :)

I always wonder about the guys using the smaller single 12 cabinets how you get on with them. You ever struggle for level or monitoring on stage?...
[/quote]
With Mesa Scout 1x12, I've never had a problem up against drummer, guitarist, and uke/guitar/harmonica/lap steel but then it may depend on the kind of band and musicians you're playing with because my guitarists are using semi-acoustic guitars and small combos and the drummer knows the meaning of 'dynamics' - sometimes it's only one stick and maraccas in his other hand, for example.

Also the Mesa is a 1x12 but also has a 1x10 radiator.

Ive still got my Trace 1215 GP12 SMX from '94 - its barely broken in to be honest, as I've hardly gigged since my late teens so its been relegated to low volume home practice. In anticpation of some gigs this year, I recently paired it up with its sister 2x10H extension cabinet which I got for the princley sum of 70 squid on ebay!!!

I'm not really up to speed with all the latest amp tech, but it seems that the new amps/cabs are a fair bit lighter, which is a big plus in its own right. My rig weighs about 50 kilos! I get the feeling (though couldn't say its from first hand listening) that the market's gone more in the direction of a high-fidelity sound.

Not looking to change it as I feel that the rig's not had a proper crack of the whip this past 18 years. Quite frankly, the prospect of finding a new amp scares me, as I suspect it would turn in to the quest for "the perfect sound" and we all know what that leads to....bankrupcy!!!