Why become a member? ×

Transition to 5 string

Kinder

Hi all

After 20+ years of playing 4 string, I'm finally giving 5 a go. I've bought a cheap Squier 5er off here to see how I get on as I didn't want to rush in and get something decent until I've given it a go.

Can people let me know some tracks they enjoy covering on 5 string so I can practice using the freaky extra string?? I'm into rock but love playing anything with a good bassline.

Ta v much.

Andy

Longtime 5 string player Jimmy Johnson says that the best way to go about 5 string is by playing it just like a 4 to begin with, and then to throw in the low notes when you feel like the time is right to hit that low B. I think the big mistake would be to think that you should be using it all the time to begin with.

There are loads of decent songs with 5 string in them but I'd just as sooner get used to playing tunes you already know with your 5 to get comfortable with it all. I'd recommend listening to 'Gaslighting Abbie' by Steely Dan, even if it isn't your kind of music, it'll give you a good idea of the kind of subtleties you can get with a 5 without resorting to using that low B all the time.

Don't fall into the trap of camping out in the lower range. Too many people do when first moving to a 5 string and
rather than making the music sound 'heavy',it can end up sounding a lot emptier,depending on the instrumentation
of the music.
I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the extra string by extending regular scale and arpeggio exercises over the
five strings-it will allow you to play 2 octaves with minimal shifts-no shifts at all if you use extended fingerings.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331833306' post='1579696']
.....Longtime 5 string player Jimmy Johnson says that the best way to go about 5 string is by playing it just like a 4 to begin with, and then to throw in the low notes when you feel like the time is right to hit that low B. I think the big mistake would be to think that you should be using it all the time to begin with....[/quote]

That's exactly what I was going to say!!!!

For me the biggest differences were (1) not having to go to the low frets for notes in the range E .. G# and (2) being able to reach 2 octaves from bottom to top string without much position shifting. Having a low D is sometimes an advantage, but not having to go often below the 5th fret is a much better advantage.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331833814' post='1579705']
Don't fall into the trap of camping out in the lower range. Too many people do when first moving to a 5 string and
rather than making the music sound 'heavy',it can end up sounding a lot emptier,depending on the instrumentation
of the music.
I'd recommend familiarising yourself with the extra string by extending regular scale and arpeggio exercises over the
five strings-it will allow you to play 2 octaves with minimal shifts-no shifts at all if you use extended fingerings.
[/quote]

+1 - the other thing to bear in mind is that your plucking hand technique may possibly have to adapt to mute any ringing strings. Favourites are either moveable anchor or floating thumb.

of the music.
[/quote]

This ^

I find myself playing around the middle of the neck without having to move around too much throughout your average gig

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1331833306' post='1579696']
Longtime 5 string player Jimmy Johnson says that the best way to go about 5 string is by playing it just like a 4 to begin with, and then to throw in the low notes when you feel like the time is right to hit that low B. I think the big mistake would be to think that you should be using it all the time to begin with.

[/quote]

Good advice that. THe mistake people make is trying to use it too much so it loses all the impact it might otherwise have. Just dropping in the odd low B or C is far more effective and jumps out at you more the less you use them. I saw a guy once who'd just got a 5 for the first time, playing a bluesy song in B and every time the progression got back to B, there it was again, thundering and rumbling away, taknig over the sound and just sounding generally rubbish.

Just forget about the extra string for now and get used to the feel of it being there. Get used to playing with your fretting hand higher up the neck using the B string for Es,Gs, As etc that you'd usaully play on the E string. You'll find the sound of those notes up there is very different, warmer, fatter. B string is about more than just low notes.

Edited by Bassdriver

of the music.
[/quote]

Spot on!! That's exactly why I am now moving away from five and back to four. I think that, somehow, a four encourages you to be a bit more creative.

I play a 4 and a 5 and it doesn't distrupt me at all when I switch. But, the first time I bought a 5 I almost gave up after 6 months. I was so clumsy and found myself overusing the low notes on the B...I was very frustrated. I stuck at it though and when my dexterity and accuracy improved I started to focus on balancing all 5 strings whilst I play to produce a more musically pleasing result. I think that is the trick when you move up to a 5, 6 + bass. Finding a suitable balance that works for you as a player for and the music you play.

[quote name='Kinder' timestamp='1331832858' post='1579682']
Can people let me know some tracks they enjoy covering on 5 string so I can practice using the freaky extra string?? I'm into rock but love playing anything with a good bassline.
[/quote]

Try playing Johnny B Goode at the tenth fret, and Mustang Sally at the 8th. If you want to go sub-E, as well as Summer of 69, there's Another Brick in the Wall and Comfortably Numb.

I don't use the B string as much as one would expect from a metal player, using it more for effect, and even then I only usually go as low as a D (or C on my downtuned bass). Why not try playing songs you would normally play on a 4, but playing the low E on the B string? Means you're exploring and getting used to the feel and sound of that extra string without goin too far out of your comfort zone :) random noodling is good too :D

Thanks for all the advice guys. My wife's been out for a couple of hours so I've managed to have a good noodle without (a) having to explain why I've bought yet another bass, or (B) trying to convince her I've had it for ages and she's definitely seen it before!

Got on really well with it. The w

• 7 months later...

of the music.
[/quote]

I realise this is an old reply, apologies (I didn't bump this though :-P) but this is true.
I don't play much under 5-string these days but that's for needs. That being said, even in my main band who are tuned down to B (Drop-B but I keep to standard) I prefer to root around the E string. I like the thought of the Low-B being there to "go down to" rather than "camp" on it. (I like that quote btw).
6-string adds two strings and keeps the main 4 as the "centre", a 5-string is the same but only adds a string below.
Even in bands that use the low notes a lot more you'll find better bassists don't camp out and instead move around.
Great example of that is Alex Webster from CC's "Vile" era onwards, switched to 5-string because of the new tuning but doesn't keep to the ultra low end to sound "heavy".

Try playing what you would on a 4-string but remember you can go down as well. Visualise octave and inversion possibilities as you play. Does a lick or run go up and up? try going up half way, then drop down an octave lower and crawl up again. That's a great way of using 5-string, it gives some interesting note choice possibilities. An otherwise cheesy run can sound quite out there.
This is hard to explain in text.

Maybe take a song that uses drop-D as well? My main reason for a low-B was because as everyone knows, I hate "dropped" tuning. I will "detune" but not drop.
I dunno, I guess RATM is all I can think of. Learn a song in that tuning but on a 5-string. The 3rd fret will be your D note.
Also, notice that because of this the 5th fret is your open E?
Is an open E tripping you up on a certain riff? Is muting it causing an unnecessary movement? Are the frets a little too far apart for the lick? Do the higher strings not sound as good for the lick as the lower ones higher up the board? Do you need to then go up the board AFTER the lick?
Use the 5th fret on the low-B.

The options are endless my friend. :-D