Why become a member? ×

NOW SOLD. Bass Doc modded 62 CIJ P/J wants a new home

The Bass Doc

Up for grabs as I've realised I'll always want to gig with my old faithful '63. It was intended to be the newer version to enable me to leave my original at home but that just ain't going to happen.

Here's the spec:-

Basically a CIJ 62 re-issue, serial no. P025469
Fender USA reverse turning tuners fitted in place of the originals (note there will be additional holes under the backplate where the smaller ones resided)
I made the 4-ply tortoiseshell pickguard and it has a full-size aluminium screening plate underneath.
Precision pickup is a genuine 80s Fender from the Fullerton era
Jazz pickup Dimarzio model J (expertly routed in - by me!)
Bridge is a genuine Fender USA from the 90s
Fender 'F' neckplate
Fender CTS pots and side-mounted Switchcraft jack
Fender flat-top knobs
Strung with D'Addario Chromes

I have never gigged the bass so condition is A1.

The parts totalled £650.00 and the sale price is £500!

Wateroftyne will be along presently with his spendid graphs of the photo variety 'cos I'm crap with a camera.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1331639827' post='1576259']
That is a really really really really really really great looking bass :)

I have never played a precision with an added J pickup.
Does the J pickup add much extra tonal colour ?

Best regards
Chris
[/quote]

Six reallys! Thanks a lot.

The addition of the Jazz pickup certainly provides for the classic 'burpy' bridge sound of a Jazz but the combination of both pickups is different from the classic Jazz tone - not quite the bite you would associate with that.

I play in a band that covers mainly Stax and Motown numbers and, believe it or not, the sound I feel hits the right spot is the bridge pickup with tone rolled off. It's bass alright but with definition to hold up in the mix.

Edited by The Bass Doc

If it helps, the standard CIJ Precision 62 has a 42mm nut width, ie, a 'proper' P width nut

[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2[/url]

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1331640340' post='1576273']
This looks lovely!

What's the width at the nut, please? The Precision HotRod had a similar width to the Jazz I think (38mm), but is this the wider Precision one?
[/quote]

Width at the nut is 42mm.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1331640594' post='1576279']
If it helps, the standard CIJ Precision 62 has a 42mm nut width, ie, a 'proper' P width nut

[url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=2"]http://www.guitaremp...new_guitars&a=2[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I thought I should go away and measure mine specifically just to be sure. The weather of late has been quite chilly here and if my own nuts are anything to go by, there can be slight variations.

Is this the one that was being carried round by a proud small boy on my visit? If so it is a true beauty,
i wish i had some money to buy it with!

Will someone please buy it before i start pricing up my internal organs to raise the cash!

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1331642154' post='1576328']
Is this the one that was being carried round by a proud small boy on my visit? If so it is a true beauty,
Matt
[/quote]

Yes Matt, I'm trying not to let the said small boy know about the sale - he thinks this bass will be his when he's big enough to play it!

:angry: bad daddy.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1331644371' post='1576401']
Gorgeous!! :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment Geoff, the bass is quite good looking too.

Any Geordie based interested party may be able to view at Blacksmiths Arms this Friday! That's if I'm up to carrying two basses to a gig - haven't done that for years.