Why become a member? ×

LBGS '12 - what did you come away with?

hiram.k.hackenbacker

Tomorrow will be my first visit to the show.

Do people actually buy basses at these things? From the comments I have read in various threads it seems you can hardly hear yourself think let alone hear what a bass sounds like. I guess if you know what you are after it's not a problem, but hard to hear any impulse purchases I would think.

Anyway, if you bought it, let's see it!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1330806468' post='1563347']
You'll only order it online when you get home ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1330806779' post='1563357']
the best deal i noticed was a Yamaha TRB-5 with over 1k off the RRP!!!!!!! Watch out for the ridiculously priced cafe bit! Theres a tesco's on the way which i advise going to first :)
[/quote]
That's the thing, if I see something I like at a discount price, it's going to be hard to resist as I wouldn't get the same deal ordering online when I get back home. Plus, I do like a good haggle.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1330806779' post='1563357']
Watch out for the ridiculously priced cafe bit! Theres a tesco's on the way which i advise going to first :)
[/quote]

Well said that man - I spent £4.45p on a bottle of water and a flapjack cake (needed the water as I had to take some painkillers - not a headache caused by the slapfest I might add...).

I came away with 2 copies of BGM - £6 spent. There wasn't anything there that I needed desperately and I'm not prepared to wait for.

I surprised myself with not buying anything. Closest to buy was a TCE Polytune pedal. TBH I was not inspired to pick anything up to play although there was some great looking gear. For me, the resident slapper plus a crowd of knowing onlookers put me off. What with that and the noise so you would not really hear yourself (it was like being on stage with 25 other bass players).

Enjoyed looking round though

The main take aways for me were in the master classes

Jon Thorne - Interesting upright player I had not come across before. "There is no good or bad music, it either moves you or it doesn't
so gravitate towards what moves you. When playing it is in the feel, you are the instrument, the wood and strings are just a way of getting it out

Yolanda Charles - was brilliant, got the chance of a quick chat. Loved her style and great voice. Will be hunting for her lesson on youtube. Interesting when she did her exercise clapping and counting. Most of the audience could instantly clap her rhythm but then when she asked us to count over the top it all went pear shaped pretty quickly (near where I was sitting anyway).

Tony Butler - Was my favourite, what a great guy, endorse his belief of encouraging kids to play. Also he showed that to get a good sound a £300 guitar can do it just as well as a £2000 one. (Ashdown stack prob helped tho'). Again he all about the feel and grove of the song. Enjoyed his drone string thing and have tried that already. Drone a E and played E pentatonics over it, same for A and D. Not sure how a G would work will try that later.

Sure other stuff will come back to me.

Look forward to other's thoughts, enjoyed the day and pleased I went. It has inspired me.

Eggy

Play the G and then practice scales on the lower strings!
I set my delay on for aaaaaages and pluck the G (or whatever key I want to pratice in) and use it like a tuneful metronome!

Anyway, didnt go to the LBGS because I dont have any money and also because I couldnt get the weekend off work :(

Truckstop

[quote name='Eggy' timestamp='1330852208' post='1563653']
I surprised myself with not buying anything. Closest to buy was a TCE Polytune pedal. TBH I was not inspired to pick anything up to play although there was some great looking gear. For me, the resident slapper plus a crowd of knowing onlookers put me off. What with that and the noise so you would not really hear yourself (it was like being on stage with 25 other bass players).

Enjoyed looking round though

The main take aways for me were in the master classes

Jon Thorne - Interesting upright player I had not come across before. "There is no good or bad music, it either moves you or it doesn't
so gravitate towards what moves you. When playing it is in the feel, you are the instrument, the wood and strings are just a way of getting it out

Yolanda Charles - was brilliant, got the chance of a quick chat. Loved her style and great voice. Will be hunting for her lesson on youtube. Interesting when she did her exercise clapping and counting. Most of the audience could instantly clap her rhythm but then when she asked us to count over the top it all went pear shaped pretty quickly (near where I was sitting anyway).

Look forward to other's thoughts, enjoyed the day and pleased I went. It has inspired me.

Eggy
[/quote]

Here you go:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Lszt2HPK8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Lszt2HPK8[/url]

Truckstop, thanks - hitting g string with fingers and pinching G scale with thumb seems to do it, was not sure about the drone being higher than the scale notes but seems too work!

Louisthebass - thanks, something to do on a rainy Sunday

EZbass - interestingly they had a load of ear defenders in the corner of the masterclass area but did not offer them up

Later

I have custom jobbies. I try to take them wherever excessive volume might be experienced and often end up kicking myself for forgetting them. I remembered yesterday :)

Edited by ezbass

I went to the stompbox/fxpedals shop stand to see if iId like any effects and came away with an Ibanez Promethean combo :/. Really nice guys, they even called over the endorser of the amp too, who in turn went over to the g&l stand to get me one to try out the bass with.
Fortunately they are quite near my work so will be picking it up this week rather than carrying the box home on the train.

Apparently it's one of the last ones in the country, Ibanez have stopped manufacturing them.

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1330949971' post='1565103']
I went to the stompbox/fxpedals shop stand to see if iId like any effects and came away with an Ibanez Promethean combo :/. Really nice guys, they even called over the endorser of the amp too, who in turn went over to the g&l stand to get me one to try out the bass with.
Fortunately they are quite near my work so will be picking it up this week rather than carrying the box home on the train.

Apparently it's one of the last ones in the country, Ibanez have stopped manufacturing them.
[/quote]

Next time you pop in to Stompbox mate, PM me, I live round the corner (literally)!!! BIgJim

[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1330811489' post='1563428']
I bought a clever little string mute by gruvgear.
[/quote]Looked at one of those & passed in the end. Be interesting to hear how they are

Picked up a copy of Stuart Clayton's Solo Bass book, which I fear will keep me going forever
[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1330811489' post='1563428']
Really wanted to get an Overwater bass though... Shame I was about £1000 too short haha
[/quote]eeeeeeeeeeer nearly :P

All I can say is they ganged up on me at the end of the show. Yes the bloke in the Sh1teShirt having a pincer movement operated on him at around 17:00 was me

Strings are a bit light for my liking - 38:98 I think they said when I tend to run with 45:105 but to change them too soon would be to waste a set up by Chris May, so I'll probably live with that til they need changing. And as I must keep reiterating whenever they are posted somewhere MrsW can see it (and I know it has been stored for a row in the future) "IT WAS A BARGAIN SWEETIE.....HONEST!!" :)

[quote name='Eggy' timestamp='1330852208' post='1563653']
Tony Butler - Was my favourite, what a great guy, endorse his belief of encouraging kids to play. Also he showed that to get a good sound a £300 guitar can do it just as well as a £2000 one. (Ashdown stack prob helped tho'). Again he all about the feel and grove of the song. Enjoyed his drone string thing and have tried that already. Drone a E and played E pentatonics over it, same for A and D. Not sure how a G would work will try that later.
[/quote]

+1 on that. I think there is a lot to be said for simplicity, feeling and less is more. I was dissapointed that there was not a Q&A for Tony, maybe they ran out of time?