Why become a member? ×

One of a Kind

Bassmanc

Shouldn't there be a thread for this - maybe you have something that you've customised, has a freakish paint job, or was commissioned for you to your exact requirements.

I've got a few of these so I will take some pics and upload them, but maybe someone wants to start the thread off while I get organised?

My Lakland 55-02 is the only piece of kit which is unique. It's #42 ever made and was used at the NAMM show as a showpiece donkey years ago when they launched the Skyline range. The only 55-02 ever painted in Inca Silver! I bought it in mint condition from a collector when I was living in the States.

When I contacted Lakland after I bought it to see if the bass was authentic and they told me that they put a Skyline neck onto a 55-94 body, so I guess it's a frankenstein 55-02!

I always wanted this bass

Unfortuntely Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. sold it for $5000 3 months before I joined the internet

So, I bought a brand new one finally in 2007, cost a bloody fortune and was too nice to mod, so I managed to find a 1994 customshop one and started the project (1994 o the left, 2007 on the right)

Bass was striped and had binding done by Chris Eccleshall, I supplied the inlays bridge, and tuners

Here you go...
My Bravewood:
[IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/jonthebass/CaseOpenNoFlash.jpg[/IMG]
My Shuker:
[IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/jonthebass/General/ShukerJazz.jpg[/IMG]
My Fender CS Masterbuilt:
[IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/jonthebass/MB%20PJ%20Pics/MBPJfullFront2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Bassmanc' timestamp='1329866514' post='1548985']

[indent=1]Lorne, after all that effort you have to pray that there is nothing else like it on the planet!![/indent]

[indent=1]...and I'm guessing you aren't the guy to ask if you want a dep for a MOR swing band eh?[/indent]

[indent=1] :D[/indent]
[/quote]

Hey, why not, I played in a Jazz band with a B.C.Rich Bich 8 string :lol: :lol:

Sorry to those who have seen this story before...........

The guy in the 1970s who built this.........

this.................

and this ..................
(a replica of the original)

Built this for me..................

.......... and then, two days later, was sadly found dead in his kitchen. This bass is the last ever John Birch guitar that he personally worked on.

[quote name='Bassmanc' timestamp='1329824865' post='1547859']
Shouldn't there be a thread for this - maybe you have something that you've customised, has a freakish paint job, or was commissioned for you to your exact requirements.
[/quote]

Have you not seen BigRedX's "Weird & Wonderful" thread?

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/5525-weird-wonderful-basses/

My custom built headless based on a Jaydee GA24 in Cherry - the body is chambered giving it a more "woody" tone..

[attachment=101002:basses in the snow 007.JPG] [attachment=101003:basses in the snow 008.JPG]

Also my UK built Overwater J4 which was commissioned by FloydElgar - love his choice of colours..

[attachment=101004:OVERWATER JAZZ 002.JPG] [attachment=101005:OVERWATER JAZZ 005.JPG]

This is mine. I was enamored/enamoured with the finish on Wolfgang Van Halen's bass from the first comeback tour. I already had the neck and then started sourcing the rest of the bits. It did literally take about two hours to do the paint job (not allowing for overnight drying periods) and I sprayed it in my garden.

I've run three or four pickups through it and at present there's a Wilkinson P-Bass style unit under the cover which is wired into the volume control on the guard. The MM at the bridge is dead.
P