Why become a member? ×

Amps for Rehearsal Studio - Urgent help needed...

eude

Hey guys,
a mate of mine is setting up a new rehearsal studio in Haddington, near Edinburgh, and has asked me for a bit of advice on kit, particularly the bass gear.
He's buying everything from a nice store in Edinburgh (other shops are available), but they don't seem too knowledgeable when it comes to bass watts. I've made several suggestions for gear which has ended up being deleted or hard to get in the UK, the 400W Peavey TKO 115 would have been absolutely perfect, but is "apparently" been discontinued...

Anyway, my understanding is that a 100W guitar amp matches up well with a 300W bass amp, right?
So suggestions for 120W bass amps certainluy won't come close to stacking up against 80W guitars amps and a live drummer right?...

The budget has been set at £400 per amp, not much I know, but I imagine there'll be a bit of "trade discount" going on, so read that as £450. The gear must be new, as they obviously want to take advantage of a manufacturers warranty.
In my opinion, the ideal set up would be a simple, 300W 1x15" Combo that can be tilted back, but there doesn't seem to be much like that out there at the moment.

Any suggestions for loud, capable, reliable bass combos around that price?
I did think about the Ashdown Touring Combos, and emailed them about using them in this context, twice, but with no response... Are they any good, or maybe the MAG C410T 4X10 combo?
I like the look of the Hartke HyDrive combos, but they're just that little bit too pricey.

P.S. I don't want to get bogged down here in arguments about technicalities, just some advice on amps please.

Thanks in advance guys!
Eude

You probably won't find much in the way of tilt-back designs, but things like this
http://www.expressmusicstore.co.uk/products.asp?code=80200&name=laney-rb8-300w-bass-combo
or this
http://www.expressmusicstore.co.uk/products.asp?code=82709&name=ashdown-300w-1x15-mag-combo-bass-amp

things like that. also just buy some 2nd hand cabs and you have full rigs you can hire out too?

If it must be new, I`d check out the Marshall MB4210. A very loud, 300 watt 210 combo. Plenty enough volume, depth, and tone-shaping for rehearsal rooms. Two channels - Modern, with Compressor, Classic, with Gain and Boost. Both channels can be blended too. They go for about the £400 mark.

Personally I'd tell your friend not to worry too much about the warranty. The amps are less likely to suffer from a manufacturing fault in the first year (assuming a 1 year warranty) than they are from abuse - which won't be covered.

I'd go for a clean, used Peavey or Trace set up. Both have excellent reliability reputations, can be picked up cheap as chips and the money saved can be used to get in the spare drivers to replace the ones that will be blown when numptys abuse the amps!

Edited by Musky

If you want something decent for no money that will stack up well against 2 guitar combos and a live drummer then you need to break away from combos.

You can get one of the marshall 8x10's off the ebay for less than half your budget and the rest can get you anything that has at least 200w which would drive it enough to be louder than everything.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1329650040' post='1545247']
If you want something decent for no money that will stack up well against 2 guitar combos and a live drummer then you need to break away from combos.

You can get one of the marshall 8x10's off the ebay for less than half your budget and the rest can get you anything that has at least 200w which would drive it enough to be louder than everything.
[/quote]

That's a really good suggestion! Though I've just taken a look on ebay and the really cheap ones aren't there at the moment. A long drive from Edinburgh as well.

Depends if he is charging for the kit in-house.

Places round here charge for drum kits but not backline.
I'd put an old TE unit in there..and if that isn't good enough for clients then they can lug their own.
I'd also have no more than 50 decent watts for a gtr combo and it would all be second hand so as to take a fair bit of abuse...supposedly.

Quite a few of the places I've used have Ashdown MAG backline. I have been surprised how decent it can sound if you spend a bit of time fiddling with it. The 300 watt head is plenty loud enough, especially if it is running through two cabs.

Trace gear is great and is pretty bulletproof (except for the slider knobs, which seem to come off quite easily!). Extremely heavy, but that doesn't matter ifit's going to be in the studio all the time.

Peavey - ticks all the boxes and lasts for ever...

Cab-wise, I've always found 15 inch drivers to be the most versatile in the smallish rehearsal room environment - but I'm not sure it would make all that much difference in such a situation.

Most people who have decent amplification themselves only use practice-room backline for the convenience value. They don't tend to expect an amazing hi-fi tone. So as long as it is loud enough, clear enough and reliable enough everybody should be happy!

Where is it in Haddington BTW?

Aye, I'd go with Hartkes. The LH500 is a beast of a bargain, but it's finding a cheap cab that can deal with the 500W that's gonna be a bit more tricky. Studio I used to use in Glasgow had Hartke 2000/2500 amps, and they punch way above their weight for the power rating, I'm a big fan. Admittedly, they did use really nice Ampeg 6x10 cabs as well, but I used to quite like my old Behringer BX3000 and Ashdown MAG 4x10 setup.

Wow guys! Thank you so much for your input!
Much appreciated!

I can see the rational for the 2nd hand route, I really can.
You can get solid as hell gear for a lot less, and if it was entirely up to me, that would be the way to go.
As it happens a mate at my work has a virtually untouched Trace 7215 1x15 combo and a matching 2x10 cab, drawing the full 300W, which he inherited from his brother, which I can probably get for £300 off him, that would be one room sorted with £500 to spend on the other!
I'm going to see if I can steer my pal in this direction.

Failing that, here's my plan of attack.
See about getting the best price on the following...

Marshall MB4210
Ashdown MAG C410T

or...
having done a bit of digging, the shop in question are doing the Hartke HA2500 head for £249 and seem to have stock of some of the older style VX cabs. They're listing the VX215 for £239!
So, that's regular joe pricing, so they might knock a bit more off seeing my mate is spending a fair ol' whack with them.
That would make a fairly mean stack for rehearsal use, right?

I know Peavey kit would be the dogs bits for this kind of thing, but they don't seem to be doing very well at the moment, stock levels seem real low and the prices ain't as keen as they used to be.
I've also found this >> http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line6-hd-400/18698
Anyone got any experience with these heads?
One of those with a cheapy 8x10 might be nice, if my mate doesn't mind buying from somewhere else...

Oh, not sure where in Haddington the place is yet, but as soon as it's up and running, I'll be sure to shout about it on here.
It's going to be a great space, run by a good mate who used to sing in my band.
Amazingly nice guy and had a hand in running Coloursound years back, but this time, it's his baby, so it's going to be amazing :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1329675538' post='1545711']
Thus might be really obvious but if I was doing this then I'd be checking that all cabs have metal grills.

Rooms down here get loads of abuse and a kicked through speaker would be no fun
[/quote]

Yeah I know, again, that's why Peavey would be perfect, they're litterally bomb proof.
I had a a Mark IV head with 2 Black Widow 4X10s years back and it was amazing.
I gigged it a fair bit, never got a mark on it and I sold it for a profit - stuff of legends :)

Another reason for new gear, is it's probably easier to insure against damage too, assuming it's installed new.
Metal grilles is a must for sure though.
I'm fairly sure my mate is going to run a tight ship though, zero tolerance of arseholes, drinking etc.
We've often talked about how one crappy band, and their mates, can spoil a rehearsal experience for everyone else, so that'll be in his mind I'm sure.
I also think the space being outside of Edinburgh will probably act as a bit of a deterrent too...

Cheers,
Eude

I remember Coloursound... particularly fond memories of a PA system just about going on fire once.

As for the Line 6 thing, I'm sure there are some people out there that love them, but I don't count myself as one of them - I've always thought digital modelling stuff sounded a bit crap based on my own experiences. I'd just opt for something a bit more solid and good at one thing rather than a computer chip that tries to be 50 different amps in one (just my own personal opinion of course). Good to see the bass amps getting some kind of attention though, most rehearsal rooms I've used have seemed to treat them as a bit of an afterthought, giving the guitarists really nice Orange heads and cabs, but leaving the bassists with sh*tty combo amps that don't even register when turned to 10.

[quote name='twentyhertz' timestamp='1329677078' post='1545752']
I remember Coloursound... particularly fond memories of a PA system just about going on fire once.
[/quote]

Ha ha, I'll see if my pal remembers that, to be honest though, it probably wasn't a rare occurrence.
I blew a bass amp up in there once.

As for the Line 6 thing, I'm sure there are some people out there that love them, but I don't count myself as one of them - I've always thought digital modelling stuff sounded a bit crap based on my own experiences. I'd just opt for something a bit more solid and good at one thing rather than a computer chip that tries to be 50 different amps in one (just my own personal opinion of course).
[/quote]

I know what you mean, and my gut tells me that there's just too much in that box to go wrong...

Good to see the bass amps getting some kind of attention though, most rehearsal rooms I've used have seemed to treat them as a bit of an afterthought, giving the guitarists really nice Orange heads and cabs, but leaving the bassists with sh*tty combo amps that don't even register when turned to 10.
[/quote]

My pal would've never lived it down if he'd skimped on the bass gear, I would've been a nightmare :)
He's actually a big fan of the bass, the only singer I ever played with who never told me to turn down too!
The annoying thing is, you can get a lot more guitar amp for the money at the kind of price range we're talking about, doesn't seem fair really, especially as seeing most guitarist couldn't give two sh*tes about their amp aslong as it says "Marshall" on it...

Eude

Mention of shonky PAs in Colorsound made me smile, as one of my bands rehearses there, and they still have those! Hard to beat the central location though.
I'm not a fan of Line 6 stuff for rehearsal rooms, as the last thing you want in a two hour rehearsal is to spend half an hour finding your sound.
As someone who uses several rehearsal rooms, one thing I really like to see is stands for the amps - it makes it much easier to hear everything at a sensible level if they're raised and tilted, especially the guitar amps. Yet surprisingly few rehearsal studios have them.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1329679786' post='1545845']
Mention of shonky PAs in Colorsound made me smile, as one of my bands rehearses there, and they still have those! Hard to beat the central location though.
I'm not a fan of Line 6 stuff for rehearsal rooms, as the last thing you want in a two hour rehearsal is to spend half an hour finding your sound.
As someone who uses several rehearsal rooms, one thing I really like to see is stands for the amps - it makes it much easier to hear everything at a sensible level if they're raised and tilted, especially the guitar amps. Yet surprisingly few rehearsal studios have them.
[/quote]

My mate helped run Coloursound at the old site, towards Fountainbridge. The site's been completely demolished now...
I'll mention the amp stand idea though, tis a good one.
It's likely the bass kit is going to be too big for a stand, but the guitar amps won't be.

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329680201' post='1545865']
As far a great value heads go for rehearsal, our studio uses these amongst other things, i love 'em, i suggest adding them to your options

[url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BX4500H.aspx"]http://www.behringer...ts/BX4500H.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for that mate. I've not been convinced with the reliability of Behringer stuff in the past, are these amps pretty solid?
The other thing I want to avoid is skimping on the bass gear, I know I'd be urked if I came into a rehearsal to find nice shiny Fender, Vox or Marshall guitar amps when the bass gear is Behringer, maybe I'm being a snob though...

Eude

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1329679786' post='1545845']
[/quote]

I've never seen this but it'd be a great touch!

Sh*t Off!
I've just found this >> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_200_bundle.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._200_bundle.htm[/url]
At that cost he could get 3, leaving 1 as a back up...

Eude

Edited by eude