Why become a member? ×

What makes a great 12 bar?

MacDaddy

Okay, I know what makes one great for me will be different to you, but for example we have a couple [size=1](ahem!)[/size] of 12 bars in our set - [url="http://www.junkyarddogslondon.co.uk/home.html"]http://www.junkyarddogslondon.co.uk/home.html[/url] thank you very much - but I do particularly enjoy playing Keep Your Hands to Yourself.
Not sure why this should be, as every reason I love playing it can be found in other 12 bars :unsure:

I'm not sure what makes them great, but I do love listening to John Lee Hooker, or BB King. Although saying that, after a while I do always feel the need for a change.

When my teacher sat and explained the reasoning behind the 12-bar blues and it's structure it did help me make sense of it and why they can be awesome. So to summarise what he told me, they evolved from the work songs in the cotton fields, where they would be question and answer format, a spirit you can definitely hear in B.B's playing. Bars 5 and 6 up on the IV are then a bit more wailing, to return back down to the root, and then the V IV turnaround is often then the more joyous and hopeful ending segment of the song. Since learning about that, I think you can hear the difference when the player is fulfilling that, be it on purpose or instinctively.

* A drummer who plays the groove through the changes, rather than playing a full-on 4 beat fill every four bars

* A singer who knows what the words mean and delivers a performance rather than a recitation of the lyrics

* A guitarist who plays a solo for the song's benefit rather than his own. And uses fragmented chords rather than full barres.

* A harp player who knows more than one position

* A bass player who's happy to play roots, doesn't put a climb into every change and a descent into every turnaround

* A band that treats each number as a song in its own right, supports the lyrical meaning, shuns virtuosity and aims for danceability.

* Dead stops. Especially the tricky ones you can't just count, but where you have to be cued by the singer.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1329136390' post='1537541']
I'm not sure what makes them great, but I do love listening to John Lee Hooker, or BB King. Although saying that, after a while I do always feel the need for a change.

When my teacher sat and explained the reasoning behind the 12-bar blues and it's structure it did help me make sense of it and why they can be awesome. So to summarise what he told me, they evolved from the work songs in the cotton fields, where they would be question and answer format, a spirit you can definitely hear in B.B's playing. Bars 5 and 6 up on the IV are then a bit more wailing, to return back down to the root, and then the V IV turnaround is often then the more joyous and hopeful ending segment of the song. Since learning about that, I think you can hear the difference when the player is fulfilling that, be it on purpose or instinctively.
[/quote]

You might be interested in "Escaping The Delta" by Elijah Wald, which suggests the working in the cotton fields idea was largely invented by white folklorists. Music developed out of getting pissed and having a party didn't have the intellectual romance they were looking for, though it's more like something I can relate to. I found the book quite heavy going though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escaping-Delta-Robert-Johnson-Invention/dp/0060524278

What skankdelvar said plus when the guitarist can get away from the minor pentatonic rooted on the root of the I chord (often other soloists do but the guitarists don't). I'm quite happy for bass players to arpeggiate the chords though - sometimes (as a contrast to a chorus full of roots).

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1329139885' post='1537639']
* A drummer who plays the groove through the changes, rather than playing a full-on 4 beat fill every four bars

* A singer who knows what the words mean and delivers a performance rather than a recitation of the lyrics

* A guitarist who plays a solo for the song's benefit rather than his own. And uses fragmented chords rather than full barres.

* A harp player who knows more than one position

* A bass player who's happy to play roots, doesn't put a climb into every change and a descent into every turnaround

* A band that treats each number as a song in its own right, supports the lyrical meaning, shuns virtuosity and aims for danceability.

* Dead stops. Especially the tricky ones you can't just count, but where you have to be cued by the singer.
[/quote]

Skank, this says it all.
Thank You,