Why become a member? ×

End Of Song Fadeouts!

Dandelion

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328818462' post='1533280']
I did a fade out on a folk cover a few weeks ago - I just walked slowly backwards and played gentler and gentler until I was behind the back stage curtain. :)
[/quote]

Isn't that the cue for falling over backwards with loud clanging noises off?

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328818561' post='1533286']
Now that is cool :)
[/quote]

Well folk nights can have a tendency to get a little tied up in self indulgant seriousness and I take great satisfaction in pulling that apart from time to time. :)

The biggest problem is that we have a lot of familiar faces in the audience so thinking up new 'stunts' and making them appear spontaneous without duplicating them takes more effort than they are given credit for.

I think it's a lazy cop out. But then I suppose it does allow a radio DJ to mix in the next track.
And yes, you do have to invent something if you're going to cover a song with a fade out.
Not something novel, though. If you were that creative you wouldn't be in a covers band, would you? :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328821333' post='1533359']
I think it's a lazy cop out. But then I suppose it does allow a radio DJ to mix in the next track.
And yes, you do have to invent something if you're going to cover a song with a fade out.
Not something novel, though. If you were that creative you wouldn't be in a covers band, would you? :P
[/quote]

It's more artistic licence than anything else I think.
if the 'original' band played that tune live then they'd need a way of finishing it just the same as a cover band does.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328818462' post='1533280']
I did a fade out on a folk cover a few weeks ago - I just walked slowly backwards and played gentler and gentler until I was behind the back stage curtain. :)
[/quote]

CW Stoneking's whole band do this - It sounds (and looks) brilliant!

I used to think a fadeout was because the lazy bastards couldn't be bothered to come up with a proper ending, but icastle is right: "if the 'original' band played that tune live then they'd need a way of finishing it just the same as a cover band does." Ergo it must always be worth buying the live album as well as the studio album to see how they did it.

Some riffs are so glorious you don't want them to end and a fadeout is like a gentle reduction of the drug intake you've been on until you can learn to live without it.

I've always enjoyed the process of designing the finish to a song: massive thump to finish, segue (perhaps with nicely orchestrated key change) into next song, play the last bar of this song then straight into the next one, or even a live fade ... it's a subject I'd like to bring up with the party band I'm auditioning for in a few days time. Would it impress them to show I'm thinking about such issues?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328821946' post='1533373']
....It's more artistic licence than anything else I think.
if the 'original' band played that tune live then they'd need a way of finishing it just the same as a cover band does....
[/quote]
+1

Fade outs are only an arrangement device on the record. I hate live fade outs.

It only takes 2 brain cells to come up with a good ending. Hardly rocket science!!

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328870681' post='1533947']
I used to think a fadeout was because the lazy bastards couldn't be bothered to come up with a proper ending, but icastle is right: "if the 'original' band played that tune live then they'd need a way of finishing it just the same as a cover band does." Ergo it must always be worth buying the live album as well as the studio album to see how they did it.
[/quote]

So it's a marketing ploy! :blink:

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328870681' post='1533947']

I've always enjoyed the process of designing the finish to a song: massive thump to finish, segue (perhaps with nicely orchestrated key change) into next song, play the last bar of this song then straight into the next one, or even a live fade ... it's a subject I'd like to bring up with the party band I'm auditioning for in a few days time. Would it impress them to show I'm thinking about such issues?
[/quote]

No, I once auditioned a drummer who had clearly spent too much time thinking about it, and kept wanting us to try segues before we'd even learned the ****ing songs properly. It was annoying, give them a bit of time first before you start throwing new ideas at them. Then hit them with loads once you're in.

What is it with this 'segue' business, anyway? I just can't see any advantage in it. You're going to play both songs (or however many you link together) anyway, so what's the benefit in linking them?

Is it so you spend less time listening to silence between tracks while you watch a tumbleweed roll across the stage?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328872272' post='1533984']
....What is it with this 'segue' business, anyway? I just can't see any advantage in it. You're going to play both songs (or however many you link together) anyway, so what's the benefit in linking them?....
[/quote]

You keep the dancers on the floor.

It takes half a song to get them up and 2 seconds of silence for them to sit down again!!

Jazz players do natural fades all the time, actually playing quieter and quieter (without walking backwards ;)). Its all another texture that can offer an interesting alternative approach. When you are improvising, the idea is to create something interesting or to find a new perspective on a oiece and this kind of thing is just another option taht is available to explore.

I was reading a book on The Beatles recording their first album at Abbey Road studios. They played live in the studio which was in fact their live set, complete with fully worked out endings. Nearly all the songs were faded out for record release, apart from I saw here standing there and twist and shout which had full endings.

Sometimes its okay, sometimes its annoying.

Most annoying song lately was the first song on the new Machine Head album, which was hyped as a 'sonata in C#', yet it featured a fadeout. If they going to boast about how this was a serious composition, they should have at least have composed an ending to the song. In situations like that, I really think that the fadeout is a cop out.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1328898501' post='1534656']
We ended a chorus early, left the drummer playing a kick beat, gradually increasing in tempo, put down our guitars, picked up a Surdo, Timpani, Shaker and Snare, and went for a samba breakdown.
[/quote]

Class. Keep 'em [s]confused[/s] interested, that's the way to go. ;)