Why become a member? ×

It's been a year!

seashell

'A year ago I cudn't spel bass playa -and now I is one!' :lol:

Yes, it's now been a year since I nervously walked into the studio for my first bass lesson. Feeling really conspicious carrying the bass - felt like it belonged to someone else. Felt that everyone would sneer at me for being too old, too female and not cool enough.

Within moments of meeting my lovely teacher though, all my fears were dispelled! Came out ot the lesson completely hooked and determined to practice every day!

A year on and I can't believe how much I've learned and I can't believe I actually stuck with it.

Big thanks due to:

The Ex for getting me my first bass, giving me the motivation to get started and lately allowing me to do a couple of little gigs with him.
To Mark my awesome teacher for teaching me everything I know with infinite patience and good humour.

And of course to all you lovely Basschatters for information, advice, knowledge and much silliness :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone! B)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1328690346' post='1531078']
Feeling really conspicious carrying the bass - felt like it belonged to someone else.
[/quote]

I always feel like this for some reason... :unsure: ;)
Nice one, Shell... my heart is always gladdened by the sight of your pussy in the toilet.

Wait until you decide to walk to your bass class carrying a damn upright on your shoulders! :) (Been there, done that, not keen or a repeat - too laborious to dismantle and reposition the bridge every time).

Congrats Seashell! I've been in this a little longer than you, but feel the same and agree with what you say. In my case, I have an addtional thank you:

Thank you to the ex for walking out, taking his guitar gear away, leaving a huge void in my life and inspiring me to fill it with bass gear and bass playing (as opposed to curling up in a corner and dying). I wouldn't go back to being a 'musician by proxy', and it doesn't matter that I'm rather crap on my five strings while the ex is/was very good on his six.

As Len said, onwards and upwards.

Edited by bluejay

Good thread, very inspiring. Hope I will be posting something similar in the future.

One thing I hate as a newbie (haven't got as far as lessons) is trying out gear in music shops. never felt more self conscious in my life! Why do they have to plug you in and turn you right up? I'm sure they all piss themselves laughing when you leave.

I'm sure they are only trying to help you. Don't be self-conscious - even the greatest virtuoso was an all-thumbs beginner once, and absolutely everybody I've spoken to says that it's always bloody hard to start out, no matter how talented you are. Even the guys at the music store were beginners once! Hang in there and get them on your side.

Many thanks for all your replies folks!
Even the dubious pussy references! :lol:
The pussy under the carpet is anothe black and white one! They get everywhere!

On to more sensible matters.
i'm not in a band yet, but that is my deferred new years resolution. Deferred until April as I'm too busy with rehearsing for a play before then.
I reckon it might take me a while to find something due the unfortunate combination of (old!) age and inexperience. But I recekon I'll just have to persevere.

@beengreen
II don't think you're alone feeling uncomfortable in music shops. I've seen posts on here from experienced musicians who've had unhappy experiences! Luckily there's a small shop near me where the guys are really nice. I still felt like a right burke when buying my Fender though, and just did a few scales!