Why become a member? ×

Hi from Somerset

Louder

Hi there - just a quick note to gauge how friendly the place is (!)
I've been playing a few years now, I think I first stepped in to playing bass when nobody else would do it, and gradually over time I've come accustomed to things.... Then 15 years pass and I find myself in a similar position again!! I think of myself as a guitarist primarily, but I think I've got a more musical ear a little bit further down the range.
Currently, I'm not really in a band. There's a bit of a murmur from some guys at work about putting a charity band together to do some 'regular' gigs, after 9 of us put together went on stage last week with only 6 weeks practise.
I'm thinking I might do it, and if I do I might have to get my gear in order, I borrowed an amp for the gig and that's not really something I like to do in case I break something. So I'll be adding a post in the amps section today sometime!
I only own one bit of bass equipment and that's my axe, a Yamaha RBX 270. Sounds ok, I'm thinking of chopping it in too at some point. I think I like the way it plays, but only the lower part of the split pickup sounds nice to my ears, and although I'm not shy of shoving pickups or whatnot in I think it's a starter instrument, not my soul mate.

Anyway, - again... Hi. :)

We're ten a penny down here. If it's the D and G strings giving you trouble on your bass then get new strings and then check the pickups are well away from the strings, that evened out the tone for me.

Apart from that get playing, there are loads of open mic's in Taunton and around. Check the boards in Westside Music and the ads in Lemonrock.com.

My band Wet Playtime play in the White Hart in Taunton sometimes.

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1328224209' post='1524217']
Howdy...

I'm another Bristol... play a lot in Taunton area with 'The Man from Funkle' our drummer lives there too!

Welcome aboard :)
[/quote]
Ah, seen you guys a few times, you rock! Your link for the band in your sig is down though.

[quote name='Louder' timestamp='1328259899' post='1524418']
Ah, seen you guys a few times, you rock! Your link for the band in your sig is down though.
[/quote]

Cheers!.. oop! ... the link was down!
[i]...& now I can't get it to link without showing the whole URL :huh:(!?!)[/i]

Hi welcombe, i'm not to far from somerset,
Devon to be exact, n no, we only have 5 toes here! He he!
I'm playing in the malt shovel in bridgewater next Friday
17th feb with my ska band, 'The liquidators aka' if you or
anybody else fancies coming along.
Aka

[quote name='AKA' timestamp='1328537990' post='1528638']
Hi welcombe, i'm not to far from somerset,
Devon to be exact, n no, we only have 5 toes here! He he!
I'm playing in the malt shovel in bridgewater next Friday
17th feb with my ska band, 'The liquidators aka' if you or
anybody else fancies coming along.
Aka
[/quote]

Oh dear, I have 10 toes!!! :blink:

I'm from just outside Nailsea so yet another west country lad. Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Louder, another Somerset-based player here. Currently residing in Nailsea but originally from Newcastle in the great North East. (Better weather down here but you all speak funny! :P )

Basschat is indeed a friendly place, everyone's done a really good job building up the community.