Why become a member? ×

New stripped-down Rattlin Bone spinoff :-) 'Voodooville'

Clarky

We have been having difficulties gigging as Rattlin Bone as the full line-up includes 14+ musicians and entertainers (clowns, fire breathers) - many venues can't take this and we are geographically diverse (from Scotland to the South Coast of England) so rehearsing has been problematic. To add to this, recently we've had complications due to quite major illnesses for a couple of members. So .....

... we have launched a stripped down largely acoustic version with 4/5 members (guitar/stompboard/lead vox; sax/vox; trombone; DB/bass; sometimes souzaphone) as 'Voodooville'. Only parts of the Rattlin Bone setlist work with such a line-up so we are doing some carefully chosen covers and radical re-workings of other New Orleans, gypsy, jazz & blues songs (eg, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Taj Mahal etc)

We've got a page set up on Reverb Nation which includes a couple of demo recordings (St James Infirmary, couple of Tom Waits; albeit these have drums on) as well as some Rattlin Bone stuff:
[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/vville"]http://www.reverbnation.com/vville[/url]

Hopefully, we should have some more gigs/fun with this line-up as well as doing festivals over the summer with the larger Rattlin Bone. Already have an offer for a gig in Germany in September

I'm pretty excited by this :)

Edited by Clarky

What happened was that we played as a foursome in the tent at the Upton blues festival - Neil on trombone, Karena on vox/sax (middle lady of three in photo), Wily Bo on vox/guitar and yours truly. Then for the encore we did Tom Waits' 'yesterday is here' and a bunch of the Rattlin Boners in the audience came up and joined us onstage - was very cool. Oh and I had eaten garlic the night before

Thanks Gareth, it's certainly a high for me after a death metal band that foundered as soon as we got decent gigs, due to drummer quitting, and then a punk band that routinely played to audiences of less than 30! More seriously, I really like the music we now play and have learned an awful lot about musicianship, recording etc. Whether we go places remains to be seen - as you know the odds are heavily stacked against it - but it will be fun trying. Our Portugal mini-tour last year was tremendous Spinal Tap type fun and I imagine the Hamburg gig will be a laugh too, especially if we can get some gigs either side :)