Why become a member? ×

For those that gig

norvegicusbass

How many of you gigging bassists dispense entirely with learning the given bassline of a song make up their own basslines for cover versions? I dont gig myself as I am just kind of relearning how to play after years of not playing at all but if I did gig I think I would like to add my own little bit or just make bits up when the original was beyond my abilities.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1327509080' post='1512596']
I only do it if I really can`t hear the original bassline, otherwise I try to stick as near to the original as possible. In most cases, even if I can`t hear the exact bassline, I`m probably 90% to the original anyway.
[/quote] Yeah I figured that most players would do something like this. I reckon that most of the original bands dont even play the same thing when they gig each night

Kinda depends on what the song is.

Some tunes have distinctive bass parts (someone was laughing at themselves after mucking up 'Alright Now' on here recently) and sound odd if not played as per the original.

Other tunes will stand a little artistic licence.

If you're playing in a covers band then I guess the secret is just deciding on a sympathetic balance between 'original' and 'improvised'.

If you're playing in a tribute band however, then it needs to be an exact copy of the original or else you'll get stalked. :lol:

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1327509313' post='1512602']
I always play something close to the original, but I do like to ad my own thing in there aswell. How close to the original depends on the song, as there are some songs that really do sound the best when played with the original bass line.
[/quote] I think the iconic basslines in songs are most likely to be adhered to as the audience would be familiar with those anyway

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1327509355' post='1512604']
Kinda depends on what the song is.

Some tunes have distinctive bass parts (someone was laughing at themselves after mucking up 'Alright Now' on here recently) and sound odd if not played as per the original.

Other tunes will stand a little artistic licence.

If you're playing in a covers band then I guess the secret is just deciding on a sympathetic balance between 'original' and 'improvised'.

If you're playing in a tribute band however, then it needs to be an exact copy of the original or else you'll get stalked. :lol:
[/quote] Most of the basslines I love are rock hard for me to play I am currently learning Celebration Day by LZ and cant imagine not being stalked if I ever took my version onto a stage :) . Have you ever noticed though that the "iconic" basslines tend to be easy to play? I am thinking of basslines that I heard while I was a young un like Public Image, Transmission and The Chain.

I'll pretty much learn it as the original, especially if it's a highly integral line (if you get my meaning). But it's always interesting after gigging for some time to go back and play with the original to see how you've made it your own, often unwittingly. I joined a new band a short while ago and we're working up the set lists and I can already hear little fills that I'm adding (rightly or wrongly).

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327509667' post='1512610']
Have you ever noticed though that the "iconic" basslines tend to be easy to play? I am thinking of basslines that I heard while I was a young un like Public Image, Transmission and The Chain.
[/quote]

I could come out with something like 'it's because that simple regular rhythm stimulate our inherited race memories' but it's more likely that making it more complicated would mean people would forget it... :)

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327509341' post='1512603']
I reckon that most of the original bands dont even play the same thing when they gig each night
[/quote]

Sorry, but in my experience from working with touringbands this is incorrect. Great (and even halfway decent) originals bands know exactly what they're going to play and have rehearsed it to death.
Even the between song banter is the same each night and is scripted and rehearsed.
Ad-libbing simply leaves too much room for things to go wrong.

I guess it depends on the band your in. If your in a tribute then I'd say you'd better learn every note and nuance of the original bass line. If your in a general covers band, it's probably enough to know the main shape of the line and augment this with your own interpretation.

In my experience, on stage it's better to simplify than over complicate parts. Stay true to the original version and you won't get too many complaints.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1327510203' post='1512617']
Even the between song banter is the same each night and is scripted and rehearsed.
[/quote]

Absolutely.
I've even known verbal 'trip ups', that appear to be mistakes and have the audience in stitches, appear night after night on tour.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1327510203' post='1512617']
Sorry, but in my experience from working with touringbands this is incorrect. Great (and even halfway decent) originals bands know exactly what they're going to play and have rehearsed it to death.
Ad-libbing simply leaves too much room for things to go wrong.
[/quote]

I agree.
The best band (originals) I've ever been in played everything the same each time (within normal limits)
We'd change the set list/running order for each gig according to what we thought would suit the venue/audience, but rehearse the agreed list in advance to make sure it worked and time it, making any adjustments as necessary.
It made everything so much easier (and more predictable) when it came to the actual performance.
On one occasion, our entire set was recorded. When you listen to it back, it simply sounds like a more energetic rendition of the original recordings (which formed the basis of our individual practice regimes anyway)

I think it depends how serious your band it.

If you're playing for your own enjoyment then do what you like and enjoy yourself.

If you're playing for the audience enjoyment then they'll want to hear the original, they won't want to hear your little ad-libs.

As has been said, tribute band you have to nail to original down to nuance and feel, as well as notes.

Definitely regularly gigging bands will have every note sorted to sure no glitches and clashes of rhythm etc.

Having said this, if you want to play the same each time - and you ought to - the drummer needs to too. Now, that's not always easy to achieve!

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1327509313' post='1512602']
...there are some songs that really do sound the best when played with the original bass line.
[/quote]

Quite. Why do you think the songs you've chosen to play were successful and popular in the first place? I hate it when cover bands fart around with tracks thinking they're being 'creative' and 'original'. Your audience does not give two sh1ts. They have paid to hear the original!

If you want to be 'artistic' and 'express yourself', join an originals band and knock yourself out! That is all.

Edit: Oh yeah, if the original is beyond your abilities, you shouldn't be playing it!
My, I'm grumpy today, aren't I? :D

Edited by discreet

As has been said, it depends on the band, the gig, the song.

Some basslines are very important to the way a song sounds and ought to be reproduced exactly or close to exactly, unless you are reinterpreting the song rather than merely covering it. In that case it needs a new bassline which fits the new arrangement/genre of the song.

Either way, know what you're doing and stick to it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327511766' post='1512645']
Quite. Why do you think the songs you've chosen to play were successful and popular in the first place? I hate it when cover bands fart around with tracks thinking they're being 'creative' and 'original'. Your audience does not give two sh1ts. They have paid to hear the original!

If you want to be 'artistic' and 'express yourself', join an originals band and knock yourself out! That is all.
[/quote]

This

[quote]
Edit: Oh yeah, if the original is beyond your abilities, you shouldn't be playing it!
[/quote]

and this

[quote]
My, I'm grumpy today, aren't I? :D
[/quote]
Yes a little, but it doesn't make you wrong :)

[quote name='Master blaster' timestamp='1327509037' post='1512595']
I just learn the main bits. Like if its a well known piece then I'de learn the main parts then make up the rest. saves abit of time
[/quote]

Me too. If I wanted to follow the original I'd join a tribute band. It's my take on the original. Did the original band always play it the same way live? Not unless they had a very high boredom threshold.

Thinking about it, though, we're hard pushed to do the covers of Britney Spears and Christine Aguilera anything close to the original, what with our male singer and wailing guitar solos and stuff...

Edited by Jacqueslemac

To begin with I try and learn it as close as possible which may mean getting the dots, a (decent) tab or by ear. In the cover band we play funk and soul so why would you want to mess with great basslines? I am a bit anal like this to the point of having the track loop on an mp3 in the car so that its really stuck in my head etc

There is a kind of evolution if you have been playing a track for a number of years - listening to the original after not hearing it for a couple of years can be quite a surprise as subconciously you have added stuff or taken certain things away.

Some lines get a workover and some nights for the sake of sanity i might throw some licks in based around the theory i am working with at the time but only if appropriate.

My overall view i guess is that punters want to hear something they can recognise so with that in mind i do respect the original line a lot - even if its boring as hell.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1327515472' post='1512757']
I am a bit anal like this to the point of having the track loop on an mp3 in the car so that its really stuck in my head...
[/quote]

This. Most people trying to learn tracks don't listen anywhere near close enough or for long enough to an original. When you listen at what I call the 'forensic level', nine times out of ten the bass player is playing something [i]different [/i]to what you thought[i]. [/i]Even on tracks you thought you knew.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1327515472' post='1512757']
I am a bit anal like this to the point of having the track loop on an mp3 in the car so that its really stuck in my head etc
[/quote]

I do that with studio pieces I'm learning.
If I sit at home and try to listen then I'll be doing three other things at the same time.
If I'm in the car then there's no escape... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327516880' post='1512794']
This. Most people trying to learn tracks don't listen anywhere near close enough or for long enough to an original. When you listen at what I call the 'forensic level', nine times out of ten the bass player is playing something [i]different [/i]to what you thought[i]. [/i]Even on tracks you thought you knew.
[/quote]

+1

You have to accept that people are all very different. Not everyone wants to put the work in. There's something satisfying when you can nail a line - especially a song that you've liked for a long time but never got around to learning.