Why become a member? ×

For those that gig

norvegicusbass

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327602755' post='1514141']Is there a Terry Peas btw? Is it you? :)
[/quote]

:lol: No, I'm not Terry bloody Peas from Croydon, I'm Mark bloody Smith from Sydenham. But you get the gist.

Actually it might be better to be Terry Peas from Croydon for tax purposes... I'll look into it.

Edited by discreet

Even when the interpretation of a song has to be spot on like for example in a tribute band on what particular version has it to be based? I would guess the original recorded version right? A quick read of the comments following bass players playing covers on You tube shows that there is always disagreement anyway on how the part is played. I once saw a clip of JPJ saying that the various tabs and even scores of his parts were invariably wrong.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327603192' post='1514155']
:lol: No, I'm not Terry bloody Peas from Croydon, I'm Mark bloody Smith from Sydenham. But you get the gist.

Actually it might be better to be Terry Peas from Croydon for tax purposes... I'll look into it.
[/quote] LOL I hope there is a Terry Peas from Croydon he sounds a great bassist to me. Please tell me though that Hot Buttered Kebab are real

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327603380' post='1514159']
Even when the interpretation of a song has to be spot on like for example in a tribute band on what particular version has it to be based? I would guess the original recorded version right? A quick read of the comments following bass players playing covers on You tube shows that there is always disagreement anyway on how the part is played. I once saw a clip of JPJ saying that the various tabs and even scores of his parts were invariably wrong.
[/quote]

I would say the original recorded version, too. Or failing that, the best-known version, which is not necessarily the same thing. And JPJ is quite right about tabs and scores, which is why I don't use 'em.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327603477' post='1514161']
Please tell me though that Hot Buttered Kebab are real
[/quote]

Well I haven't Googled it - but no, I'm sorry to say that Terry Peas and Hot Buttered Kebab are entirely fictional.
Though knowing my luck I'll probably get a communication from Terry's lawyer in the morning. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327603624' post='1514163']
I would say the original recorded version, too. Or failing that, the best-known version, which is not necessarily the same thing. And JPJ is quite right about tabs and scores, which is why I don't use 'em.
[/quote]So you just learn by ear? I always thought this the best way to learn and as a young un could do it a lot easier than an old un with twenty years of factory and construction noise buggering up my hearing.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327603719' post='1514165']
Well I haven't Googled it - but no, I'm sorry to say that Terry Peas and Hot Buttered Kebab are entirely fictional.
Though knowing my luck I'll probably get a communication from Terry's lawyer in the morning. :mellow:
[/quote] LOL well if I may can I nick the name when I form a pub band?

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327603801' post='1514166']
So you just learn by ear?
[/quote]

Yep.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327603856' post='1514167']
LOL well if I may can I nick the name when I form a pub band?
[/quote]

:lol: Knock yourself out. My research reveals at least two people in the world called Terry Peas, which is slightly worrying.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1327600163' post='1514072'] I think though that when an established well known band plays a cover version of another bands song they often embellish basslines and stuff. I personally would hate to go see any band and have them play the song exactly like the record even if it was well within their capability to do so. I tend to favour live versions of songs anyway and[b] I disagree with an earlier post that suggests there isn't much variety between performances a quick look on Youtube will show you many groups perform songs differently[/b]. I am still hoping a live version of REM's Country Feedback that was once on Youtube gets re posted as all the other ones I have seen weren't as good and were very different. [/quote]

Maybe years apart they will have changed their style or how they like to play it, but they won't just make it up on the night and throughout one tour it will played the same way. Especially where you have midi cues,or lighting,video and pyro cues to work to as well.

Edited by chaypup