Why become a member? ×

A few words on the subject of professionalism

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1327403343' post='1510516']
He didn't really need to sign it Henry Rollins.
Everyone would obviosly [sic] have known it was him.

Because he's SHOUTING AGAIN!!! :)
[/quote]:D

Btw Stateside Henry=Hank and he is often referred to as this, any rhyming slang that may occur to you is purely coincidental :)

They don't care if you are David Bowie?

Complete arse.

Of course they would care if they were working with David Bowie. If they are the kind of people who would not give a sh1t about working with a musician of the calibur and status of David Bowie, then they should not be doing the job.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327405912' post='1510567']
Our local landlady often puts a spelling or grammatical error on the laminated menu things she puts on the tables. If you point an error out to her she tells you to put £1 in the charity box for being a pedant.
[/quote]

Q How many pedants does it take to change a lightbulb?
A It's 'replace' actually, not 'change'.

Back OT.
Because of the generally high levels of sloppy unprofessionalism in all walks of life. (and it ain't nothing new)
It only takes a small amount of attention to detail, empathy for others and patience to make a real difference.

So, why not make the most of it?
I drummed that lesson into my kids, and they're doing alright.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1327406370' post='1510577']
Q How many pedants does it take to change a lightbulb?
A It's 'replace' actually, not 'change'.

Back OT.
Because of the generally high levels of sloppy unprofessionalism in all walks of life. (and it ain't nothing new)
It only takes a small amount of attention to detail, empathy for others and patience to make a real difference.

So, why not make the most of it?
I drummed that lesson into my kids, and they're doing alright.
[/quote]

not if they are now drummers ;)

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1327406510' post='1510581']
Some people seem to be taking this overly serious - it's just a few lines from one of Rollins' books/spoken word routines that some venue employee has copied out and posted up somewhere for a laugh...
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1327406504' post='1510580']
not if they are now drummers ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha. One of them is!!! But as a female drummer, she gets lots of work as a teacher particularly with other females. It's quite a USP as business bulls****ers would say.

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1327406510' post='1510581']
[b]Some people seem to be taking this overly serious[/b] - it's just a few lines from one of Rollins' books/spoken word routines that some venue employee has copied out and posted up somewhere for a laugh...
[/quote]

Yes, but it is a bassplayer's forum after all ;)

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1327405962' post='1510569']
They don't care if you are David Bowie?

Complete arse.

Of course they would care if they were working with David Bowie. If they are the kind of people who would not give a sh1t about working with a musician of the calibur and status of David Bowie, then they should not be doing the job.
[/quote]

I think the point being that some musicians who have made it, see themselves above others because of who they are. Van Morrison sacked his entire team because he "wanted a new one", Mariah Carey, Axl Rose has a notorious child like behaviour.

It still made me laugh, we've all come across people who think they're great.

Dan

Last week I was dragged to see Mr Rollins on his 'spoken word' tour. Influenced, perhaps, by image and media comment, I wasn't expecting much.

Far from being a shouty tattooed numpty, he came across as a perfectly splendid chap. Well-informed, widely travelled and possessed of a droll sense of humour which he frequently turned upon himself. Far funnier, in fact, than any stand-up de nos jours. Loud, yes, but witty, incisive and self-effacing.

I was also mightily impressed that he did [i]two and a half hours [/i]onstage without even pausing for a glass of water. Highly recommended, as long as you're not a supporter of the Republican party.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1327401683' post='1510486']
oddly enough we have our milk delivered by David Bowie.
[/quote]

One of the bits Glenn Hughes left out of his Biography;
' I was hanging with Bowie a lot of the time. I recall being holed up with the thin white duke doing gold top and free range yoghurts for three days straight...'

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Add Prince to the list. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]On stage he's fine but he regularly sacks members of his staff while on tour, and it's an instant dismissal if you talk to him or even looks at him in a way that he doesn't like. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]On the last tour the crew had a "survivors" club. It only had 3 members by the end of the tour.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1327405962' post='1510569']
If they are the kind of people who would not give a sh1t about working with a musician of the calibur and status of David Bowie, then they should not be doing the job.
[/quote]

Now that Bowie's a bit ... well ... past it, does that mean that he has Excalibur?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1327415449' post='1510839']
All together nah,
"Eez a Milkmaaaahn,bringing rahnd ver pints, he looks just like a roadie when eez settin up the lights,Eez a..." *

*to the tune of Starman.
[/quote]

:D :D :D
I just disturbed a carriageful of blameless train passengers with loud splutterings of mirth. Good work!

Edited by Panamonte

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1327410915' post='1510695']
Far from being a shouty tattooed numpty, he came across as a perfectly splendid chap. Well-informed, widely travelled and possessed of a droll sense of humour which he frequently turned upon himself. Far funnier, in fact, than any stand-up de nos jours. Loud, yes, but witty, incisive and self-effacing.

I was also mightily impressed that he did [i]two and a half hours [/i]onstage without even pausing for a glass of water. Highly recommended, as long as you're not a supporter of the Republican party.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on!!! Very very enjoyable evenings attending his spoken word tours. Rollins is one of the good guys.

Edited by Steve G

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1327423338' post='1510989']
Absolutely spot on!!! Very very enjoyable evenings attending his spoken word tours. Rollins is one of the good guys.
[/quote]

He also takes the time to reply to unsolicited e-mails from fans, and in a way that demonstrates he actually reads the stuff before responding (I have a friend who's a big fan of Rollins).

I'm somewhat taken aback that anybody should have deduced that he'd printed that sign himself.

They had a similar sign up - even mentioning David Bowie - when I played at The Garage, about 10 years ago.

I thought it was b0ll0x then too, they would have c## in their pants if they had David Bowie on their stage.

Don't care, my ars3!
[attachment=98124:jim.jpg]