Why become a member? ×

Beyonce Live rehearsal

Faithless

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1327331137' post='1509411']
For the most part EQing and levels will have been done by the crew before the band arrives.
Drummers have a problem that singers, bass players, keyboard players etc don't have, inasmuch as they're not able to have a kit set up in the dressing room. It isn't a case of 'save it for the show' more a case of, when they've been on the road for a couple of weeks the only time that they can really stretch and loosen up is at soundcheck. The drummer will perform, or at least [i]feel[/i] that he will perform better having had a 'blat' around the kit for a few minutes before hand.
[/quote]
I must have misunderstood Silddx's original post, it sounded like the engineer was just trying to get basic individual levels at that point. If all the levels had all been set so the band could 'blat' around I don't really see why he was still there, maybe minor tweaking?. I can imagine it's a bit different when you are doing a show for a broadcaster compared with just your own regular people on a normal tour, bound to be a bit of friction. But I've never remotely played the size of shows Steve has done with Manfred so I'm happy to be put in my place.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1327159825' post='1507215']
I know a few drummers who, had they been 'told off' by an engineer (BBC or not), would have presented said engineer with a nice bit of bling...in the shape of a snare drum necklace. :wacko:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I know a bass player who would be none too happy about either :huh:
[/quote]

I imagine said drummers etc don't mind having a sh*t live sound then...

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1327338263' post='1509576']
I imagine said drummers etc don't mind having a sh*t live sound then...
[/quote]
"said drummers" are pretty much at the top of their game, and didn't get there by "having a sh*t sound". :P ;)
FWIW When we arrive at a rehearsal/venue/TV etc we give the drummer 10 minutes to have a play before the rest of us get on stage. Soundchecks can be stressful at the best of times.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1327342104' post='1509649']
"said drummers" are pretty much at the top of their game, and didn't get there by "having a sh*t sound". :P ;)
FWIW When we arrive at a rehearsal/venue/TV etc we give the drummer 10 minutes to have a play before the rest of us get on stage. Soundchecks can be stressful at the best of times.
[/quote]

What I meant was even the greatest drummers ( and bassists, guitarists, singers etc) are at the mercy of the engineer in a live situation unless it's a completely acoustic gig.
I've seen people piss off the engineer by being arsey in a sound check only to become the sound guy's bitch during the gig and have piss poor onstage and FOH sound.
True, engineers should respect the performers, but it's wise to do as he/she asks as they know the venue and what works there.

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1327159825' post='1507215']
I know a few drummers who, had they been 'told off' by an engineer (BBC or not), would have presented said engineer with a nice bit of bling...in the shape of a snare drum necklace. :wacko:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I know a bass player who would be none too happy about either :huh:
[/quote]

Which is why they're playing down 'The Dog and Duck' Saturday night not Wembley Stadium.

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1327147799' post='1506936']
[b] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFvt1sLpis[/media][/b]

Some wicked playing from the band... and it's all ladies in the house, mind you...

And check out that synth bass, the sound is just out of control..

enjoy,
Laimis
[/quote]

That actually made one of my least favourite songs ever recorded pretty listenable, so it must have been good! Not a big fan of most of Beyonce's records (that's an understatement to be honest) but I enjoyed that performance. And it as to be said she's pretty fine, even more so done down as here. Sorry, I'm a bloke. :rolleyes:

Some time ago I was at a jam-session over here in Belgium and someone brought Divinity in to jam along..
She jumped on stage in the middle of the groove which was in Eb (not the easiest thing to play on for bassplayers who are used to do their stuff in E).
She had a five string Marcus Miller bass and started to play the groove and it sounded tight.After a while they gave her a sign that she could solo and to my surprise doing the same things which every local player would do : some safely slapped octaves and a nice groove..Actually she didn't have incredible technique and nothing speedy came out of her fingers..
After a while it actually sounded like everyone else except for the fact that there was this American self-esteem which took over..
It's tough to break through in the States and I had again the impression that it is very important to be very confident on stage and sell yourself if you want to make it there..
She's a fine bassplayer but I wasn't blown away..
I agree that you don't have to be a speed demon and show incredible stuff but most of the bass players in that room had the same impression..if it would have been a man it would be less striking.
After her jam the local bass-player came back onto the stage and no one felt a big difference with Divinity...in fact I liked his groove more...but he's a quiet guy in the background.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1327431344' post='1511166']
Some time ago I was at a jam-session over here in Belgium and someone brought Divinity in to jam along..
She jumped on stage in the middle of the groove which was in Eb (not the easiest thing to play on for bassplayers who are used to do their stuff in E).
She had a five string Marcus Miller bass and started to play the groove and it sounded tight.After a while they gave her a sign that she could solo and to my surprise doing the same things which every local player would do : some safely slapped octaves and a nice groove..Actually she didn't have incredible technique and nothing speedy came out of her fingers..
After a while it actually sounded like everyone else except for the fact that there was this American self-esteem which took over..
It's tough to break through in the States and I had again the impression that it is very important to be very confident on stage and sell yourself if you want to make it there..
She's a fine bassplayer but I wasn't blown away..
I agree that you don't have to be a speed demon and show incredible stuff but most of the bass players in that room had the same impression..if it would have been a man it would be less striking.
After her jam the local bass-player came back onto the stage and no one felt a big difference with Divinity...in fact I liked his groove more...but he's a quiet guy in the background.
[/quote]

And that's the thing. Playing a musical instrument for a living and touring with bands as big as Beyonce's is nothing like being an amateur. You don't have to blow people away, and it's odd you think that she might be motivated to come in and blow everyone away just because she's got some notoriety. She is also Beyonce's MD, clearly has a superior musical mind than many, organised, reliable, a great performer who looks great on stage, plays other instruments, manages other people's performances to the main stakeholders' expectations, cool to hang about with on long tours, etc etc.

Confidence, taste and ability, reliability, nice to be around, and very high standards of execution, these are important. No bassist needs to be able to shred unless the music demands it. It's odd that many of us seem to almost judge a bassist by the speed they can play an two octave Eb diminished arpeggio, or tap and slap a Bach cello suite or some sh*t. Your comment about her being a woman making her playing more striking is a bit annoying in this day and age too mate. Sorry.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1327432494' post='1511178']
And that's the thing. Playing a musical instrument for a living and touring with bands as big as Beyonce's is nothing like being an amateur. You don't have to blow people away, and it's odd you think that she might be motivated to come in and blow everyone away just because she's got some notoriety. She is also Beyonce's MD, clearly has a superior musical mind than many, organised, reliable, a great performer who looks great on stage, plays other instruments, manages other people's performances to the main stakeholders' expectations, cool to hang about with on long tours, etc etc.

Confidence, taste and ability, reliability, nice to be around, and very high standards of execution, these are important. No bassist needs to be able to shred unless the music demands it. It's odd that many of us seem to almost judge a bassist by the speed they can play an two octave Eb diminished arpeggio, or tap and slap a Bach cello suite or some sh*t. Your comment about her being a woman making her playing more striking is a bit annoying in this day and age too mate. Sorry.
[/quote]

Very true. Gail Ann Dorsey is a very good example of your point. Excellent bass player, multi-intrumentalist, great singer (listen to under pressure on Bowie's reality tour). I can't ever imagine her doing an in 'your face' 'look at me' slap happy bass solo. But she has what it takes for the big acts to hire her again and again.

see what I mean

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejoGO9CaDUM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejoGO9CaDUM[/url]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1327434585' post='1511216']
Very true. Gail Ann Dorsey is a very good example of your point. Excellent bass player, multi-intrumentalist, great singer (listen to under pressure on Bowie's reality tour). I can't ever imagine her doing an in 'your face' 'look at me' slap happy bass solo. But she has what it takes for the big acts to hire her again and again.

[/quote]

Exactly right! And that's something I omitted from my list of essentials, the ability to sing.

I actually think we bassists seem to live in a culture of feeling we have to be able to PLAY almost anything, from Billy Sheehan to Bach, sightread, and use the whole range of techniques available in order to feel like a GOOD musician worthy of attention. It simply is not the case and many other very important qualities are neglected. We often seem to judge other bassists by these criteria too which really pisses me off. It is unwise, and unfair.

Edited by silddx

I must admit, the footage I've seen of her she's by no means great.

But as part of a larger group though she obviously fits in and has a driving influence within Beyonce's band. Being a musician in those kinds of situations has much more to do with just being able to be a wizard on your instrument. It's about the sum of the parts and if you're MD'ing, your ability to lead. She also visually looks the part as well.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1327452069' post='1511671']
[b]I must admit, the footage I've seen of her she's by no means great.[/b]

But as part of a larger group though she obviously fits in and has a driving influence within Beyonce's band. Being a musician in those kinds of situations has much more to do with just being able to be a wizard on your instrument. It's about the sum of the parts and if you're MD'ing, your ability to lead. She also visually looks the part as well.
[/quote]

Ah, but she is. As you have said in your second paragraph.

I'd still much rather hear the live band than the sequenced studio recordings...
but, from the clips I honestly don't hear much interesting from the rhythm section, the arrangements are quite boring from a groove perspective (though, nice vocal parts as I said before). Beyonce's influences supposedly include some of the most awesome acts,but I don't think these arrangements are a patch on the live bands of MJ, Fela, Diana Ross, Prince etc. In comparison it just sounds generic, albeit well-produced and executed.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1327541301' post='1513250']
I'd still much rather hear the live band than the sequenced studio recordings...
but, from the clips I honestly don't hear much interesting from the rhythm section, the arrangements are quite boring from a groove perspective (though, nice vocal parts as I said before). Beyonce's influences supposedly include some of the most awesome acts,but I don't think these arrangements are a patch on the live bands of MJ, Fela, Diana Ross, Prince etc. In comparison it just sounds generic, albeit well-produced and executed.
[/quote]

For anyone who needs proof of this, go grab the MJ Dangerous: Live in Bucharest DVD. Spectacular band playing great arrangements of great songs. As many have said in here, well performed pop music is one of the greatest musical treats, I'd love a go in a band like that!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1327538913' post='1513236']
I meant technically, cos she ain't.... but you're quite right, there's more to it than that of course.
[/quote]

I think because she has such a clear understanding of the arrangements and how to construct a show, she places most of the onus of a Beyonce show on Beyonce herself - after all, you wouldn't go to NOT watch her, would you?

So it seems to me that Div plays exactly what is needed and not a single note more - and this is what makes me like her, the ability to play the bare minimum and (to me, anyway) still make it sound brilliant.

the original video is first class. beyone looks fitter and sounds better in a rehersal than live on stage in a full on cocert.... great pair as well.(much bigger than i thought) Im kinda takin a shine to her

the band are ok too......for a bunch of women!!!!

shoot me down for being sexist, but men are better!

[quote name='4 candles' timestamp='1327615144' post='1514392']
the original video is first class. beyone looks fitter and sounds better in a rehersal than live on stage in a full on cocert.... great pair as well.(much bigger than i thought) Im kinda takin a shine to her

the band are ok too......for a bunch of women!!!!

shoot me down for being sexist, but men are better!
[/quote]
Ohh f*** off mate.

:)

Here's a number from the BBC gig I was privileged to be at. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pea_kPfEwE4&feature=fvst[/media]

A f***ing awesome performance I think you'll agree :) It was lovely watching them soundchecking for a couple of hours.

Edited by silddx

• 3 weeks later...