Why become a member? ×

Warwick Go Mental.

throwoff

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1326976456' post='1504529']
Sorry, but who do you play for?
[/quote]

I am not a recording artist anymore and I am more involved in studio work for the past few years, but 11yrs ago I was playing for a band called Kosher when Warwick picked me up. Warwick were not independent in the UK at the time and the artist rep who worked for a distributer for Warwick hooked me up after meeting me at a support gig we were doing for my mate Glen who just got his sponsorship a few months before. Warwick ditched that distributor and set up independently in Manchester...then reviewed their artist list. I got canned...even Glen did too and his band was way more well known and popular as us. The artist rep with MAD really believed in supporting up and coming bands, but the Germans didn't see it that way and only kept the players that are associated with chart successful acts.

The only reason why I had that many Warwicks is because I already owned 2 Corvette Prolines before I got the sponsorship and aquired the other 4 over a course of about 5yrs, but I still had to pay for them at a slightly discounted price after I had my pathetic advance from the label.

I bought a Thumb BO 5 string back in 1998 new from the Bass Centre for just under £1300.
I've just looked at the pricelist, no way I would pay £2269 for one now!
You could have a completely hand made custom bass made entirely to your own specs with much nicer wood and any construction method for a fair bit less than that these days.

Maybe they have gone mental afterall...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1326979025' post='1504586']
I agree that their high end prices have become isane, but I'm pleased to see they're producing some more affordable models.
I know it looks like they've simply replaced their previous high end price point with cheaper Korean made ones, but at least they're trying to remain competetive while their German made prices are going sky high.
I for one, am quite tempted by the 6 string Acoustic Alien, you can get 6 string Rockbass version for £869!

Eude
[/quote]

Link?!

The Korean warwicks are actually very very fine basses! I've always wanted a 6 string Vampyre (as much as everyone else hates the shape haha!)

Here's the bass in question >> http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=24308
You can get the price off the website too, no actual shops with them online yet though, so it might be a typo...

Eude

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326921686' post='1503903']
I can get you prices or a very rough estimate.

The 30th Ani Streamer will be £42 million pounds. The rest will range from £4 million to £12 million pounds. They will also tell you that the Pro and China models are just as good as the German model in quality but the only difference is the German one will cost you a lot more but there really is no difference :)
[/quote]

And if you're a dealer you'll need to take at least three of each, plus some amps & cabs (that you'll never sell!). . .

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1326985121' post='1504731']
Here's the bass in question >> [url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=24308"]http://www.warwick.d...=EN&katID=24308[/url]
You can get the price off the website too, no actual shops with them online yet though, so it might be a typo...

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks!

I hope it's not a typo!

Couldn't see the price but i'll take your word (as my searching skills are clearly wanting :lol: )

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1326985274' post='1504738']
Thanks!

I hope it's not a typo!

Couldn't see the price but i'll take your word (as my searching skills are clearly wanting :lol: )
[/quote]

Here you go man >> http://www.warwick.de/media/prices/Rockbass_UK.pdf

Thing is when I first started playing bass I so wanted a Warwick- my friend had a 1992 thumb and it was just beautiful, so well put together, so musical and so.... woody.
The website was all about 'the sound of wood' and showed the massive warehouses of wood stock sat for years drying. That was what they were all about.
Now, since production has gone mental skyward you wonder how they can have the same level of wood quality?
Then the korean, chinese etc.... and... my local guitar shop has this version of a thumb, it has a maple neck and a clear gloss finish... now maybe it's a great bass. maybe, just maybe if I had a blind test and £1300 in my pocket I would walk out of a shop with that- maybe it genuinely is a great great bass- but it's not a warwick thumb and bares little similarity to my 1991 streamer either.

I've got to be honest, I've hated Warwicks with a vengence in the past, I've never forgiven them for making Rob Green at Status smash up the moulds for the John Entwhistle Buzzard, it was a work of art, I actually played one of the Ox's Status Buzzards at the factory just before Rob was taking it back to John.

That said, I've just bought a used Streamer stage 1 6er from off here, and it is very good, couldn't resist it to be honest cause it look's the dog's.

Not sure if it's over 4 grands worth of very good though. The new basses from warwick in the thread are OK, but the prices are crazy. Shuker could make you a bass that would walk all over these for a fraction of the cost.

[attachment=97800:IMGP4908.jpg]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327009268' post='1505292']
could prob buy a real 80's streamer... and a 80's spector for the same price!
[/quote]

That'd be what I'd do anyway. My corvette is a 96 and is so much better than any of the newer models I've played. I'd love to play a really early Warwick though

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327006257' post='1505217']
The website was all about 'the sound of wood' and showed the massive warehouses of wood stock sat for years drying. That was what they were all about.
Now, since production has gone mental skyward you wonder how they can have the same level of wood quality?
[/quote]

I think you could see the corners being cut a bit when they started using Ovangkol for necks instead of Wenge. I think they attributed it to Wenge being more and more difficult to source as most of it was from the Congo, which was pretty unstable in the late late 90's and early 00's when the changeover was made. I suspect before that, Warwick had decent stocks of wenge for making necks which slowly dried up.

The Korean basses won't be using woods anywhere near as good as the old German basses. I don't hold high hopes for those one as Rockbass have never impressed me. If you want a great Warwick, buy an old one! My Streamer Ltd Edition from 1990 is an absolute stunner. It is noticeably better than most Streamers I've played and genuinely feels like something special.