Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Bass & Amp, stunning!!!!!

How about this, what an amazing set to find, now, where's that lottery ticket???

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Vintage-1959-Fender-Precision-Bass-Bassman-5F6-A-Amp-Amplifier-Set-/360425346081?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eb065421"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Vintage-1959-Fender-Precision-Bass-Bassman-5F6-A-Amp-Amplifier-Set-/360425346081?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eb065421[/url]

:gas:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1326409670' post='1497036']
What batteries?????

Do you mean the Astron capacitors?

[attachment=97218:astron.jpg]
[/quote]
looks sheepish :)
I should know, I gutted* a 1959 phonogram and it had similar caps in it.

* so it doesn't sound so atrocious 'philips disc jockey'- if you ever see one and are tempted, avoid unless you can see it is working. There is no counter weight, and a super light cartridge- which is irreplaceable. Rather than have it sitting there I made a primative guitar amp out of it until I moved house and it went in the bin, still got a original 50's Mullard EL84 sat around with the vague idea it may be useful one day!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1326410179' post='1497041']
Gone now. Listing ended, no longer available.

It was described as two-tone sunburst but looks like faded red to me - and no neck date.

The seller is Tune-o-matic, we've come across him before.
[/quote]

He sold the bass, but the amp is still for sale.

Early 1959 Fender guitars don't have neck dates. Someone at the factory wrote something blasphemous on a neck heel, which was discovered, and they stopped writing on neck heels until it was investigated and stopped, at which point, around June '59, they re-commenced.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1326410494' post='1497048']
Someone at the factory wrote something blasphemous on a neck heel ...
[/quote]

He wrote: [color=#b22222][i]The truss-rod adjustment should really be up at the headstock, y'know.[/i][/color]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1326411412' post='1497059']
He wrote: [color=#b22222][i]The truss-rod adjustment should really be up at the headstock, y'know.[/i][/color]
[/quote]

:lol:

To be honest, it is a more practical place to put it, although as a bit of a vintage purist, its something i hate to see, especially on self-relic'd 'vintage' basses, not nice at all.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1326462386' post='1497526']
"Everything is 100% original down to the tubes ....
... Sounds amazing!!"

So when people say you need to change your valves every six months or so, it isn't strictly correct? :lol:
[/quote]

Who says that??? Valves should last YEARS of regular use, and decades of occasional use! Also, they were built a lot better in the 50s...

[quote name='SebCarr' timestamp='1326471886' post='1497731']
Who says that??? Valves should last YEARS of regular use, and decades of occasional use! Also, they were built a lot better in the 50s...
[/quote]

Absolutely, I've never heard anyone suggest valves should be changed regularly. I've had mine in my tweed bassman for 12 years and they're good as new.!!

[quote name='SebCarr' timestamp='1326471886' post='1497731']
[/quote]
Who? This month's Guitarist, for example, although it seems that I had misremembered the exact frequency they recommended. But here are their exact quotes:
[quote]"If it's been some years since they were changed ... definitely have the power valves replaced and the amp rebiassed."
[/quote][quote]"Do it every year or two; less if the amps aren't regularly gigged."
[/quote]Is it different for guitar amps than bass amps? (That's an honest question, by the way, I'm not trying to be rhetorical).

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1326415240' post='1497101']
Somebody needs to play that bass. Because, looking at the lack of wear and tear, it hasn't been played for a very long time.
[/quote]
Alternatively, it's been properly looked after rather than being carried around in a bin-bag and used to hammer tent pegs in. The blowtorch-and-sander "professional" relickers should be forced to take a good hard look at what a 50 year old bass can look like.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1326508132' post='1498340']
Alternatively, it's been properly looked after rather than being carried around in a bin-bag and used to hammer tent pegs in. The blowtorch-and-sander "professional" relickers should be forced to take a good hard look at what a 50 year old bass can look like.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1326508132' post='1498340']
[/quote]

+1
Indeed.