Why become a member? ×

tuning-down

BluRay

I went for an audition yesterday with a noisy 3-piece rock band. First thing they said was I had to tune-down a semi-tone. I've always played in bands that tune to concert pitch, and have the impression that downtuning - even just a note - makes the strings rattle and mucks up the internation (?). Anyway I did as I was told (first impressions and all that), but the guitarist was so loud I couldn't hear a damn thing anyway. That's another issue!

So does down-tuning (a semi-tone) actually cause any issues - like would I need to amend my set-up - or is there nothing to worry about? Are there any actual benefits, other than for the vocalist?

Ta

As you, I was slightly concerned when I found that the band I was joining downtuned by a semi tone.

I have not found any problem or the need for any adjustments to the set up or truss rod.

What has been a minor inconvenience is when trying to learn numbers that are recorded at concert pitch.

It can, but going down a semitone isn't likely to have a massive effect. Depends on the strings and setup you have though- if you use high action and thicker strings you're less likely to notice. Try it at home and see.

As for benefits, it depends why they're doing it- I used to play with bands tuned to D for a "heavier" sound. Personally I prefer to play a 5 now anyway.

Tuning down a half step usually is for the benefit of vocalists and guitarists (the latter find it easier to bend the strings that way). It is not very unusual. Hendrix and SRV among others, did so.

How it effects the bass guitar can vary, depending on the type of bass, and how susceptable the neck is to changes in tension. Also, depending on what strings are used, their tension, and how hard you dig in, can make for a clangy experience. My band tunes down a half step and I have not had any problems with my bass.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' timestamp='1326116485' post='1492451']
It can, but going down a semitone isn't likely to have a massive effect. Depends on the strings and setup you have though- if you use high action and thicker strings you're less likely to notice. Try it at home and see.

As for benefits, it depends why they're doing it- I used to play with bands tuned to D for a "heavier" sound. Personally I prefer to play a 5 now anyway.
[/quote]

Well the guitarist was tuned to Drop D - which melted my head as I couldn't visually follow what he was doing. I dont really want to go Drop D myself as I'm way too lazy to learn something new :lol: . But as I was so drowned out, it probably didn't matter!

Hmm, if the guitarist was tuned to Drop D, surely they should have asked you to either tune down to D, or stay where you were, as essentially, a semi is to D# (if you`re an optimist, Eb if a pessimist).

Either way, you shouldn`t notice too much difference. I use heavy gauge strings, and if tuned down to D#, they then just feel like regular gauge.

Not sure if my experience is useful but I used to regularly use drop D for about half the set in a heavy-ish band, used a Hipshot Extender to flick back and forth and never had any issues that were noticeable.

Didn't have major difficulties learning to play in Drop tuning either, I just learned the riffs and lines by fret positions and then worried about which notes were which after I was comfortable with them.

Our band also de-tunes by a semitone to help with vocals and guitar. I have no problem and 2 of my basses have a Hipshot and that is fine too. I usually leave 1 bass de-tuned for gigs and rehearsals and another tuned at concert pitch for practising. But it's easy to change if needed.

The issue with the loud guitarist need sorting out. IME most loud guitarists are unlikely to turn down for anything. It will always be an issue so if you can't get them to do something immediately then look elsewhere.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1326141861' post='1492938']
The issue with the loud guitarist need sorting out. IME most loud guitarists are unlikely to turn down for anything. It will always be an issue so if you can't get them to do something immediately then look elsewhere.
[/quote]

This.

De-tuning a semitone is common and you'd be surprised how much it helps the singer. It's a totally pointless exercise though if nobody can hear the singer cos the guitarist is too loud.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1326141861' post='1492938']

[/quote]

Yep completely agree! I didn't say anything about that at the audition, cos I was fluffing my way through the songs and totally winging it. But no way I could put up with it unsorted. I was using an abm 500, turned up to 11 through a raised-up 115. So probably pushing about 350w. The room was about 12 by 12, and i couldn't hear myself! But I'll save that battle for if they ask me back :D