Why become a member? ×

Interesting Modified 1970's P bass

kyle3mh

Hello, this is my 1st post on here and I was looking for some advice.

Im thinking about purchasing this 1978-1981 USA P bass which has been modified.

Specs as far as I can tell:

Fender USA P bass 1978-1981 according to serial number

bartaloni pickups

Badass Bass Bridge 2

Schaller machine heads

Here are some Pics

Would anyone be able advise me on how much it is worth?

Thanks

For a 79, all original, somewhere between £1200 - £1500ish, depending on condition/playability.

For a 2009, somewhere between £700 - £850ish, again depending on condition/playability.

So whilst the mods are probably better parts, what they`re detracting from is the all-original-ness (is that a word I`ve just created?) of the age of the bass, which is what is increasing the value of a 79, from a current one.

Difficult to say.

[quote name='kyle3mh' timestamp='1325964750' post='1490566']
Would £600 be a decent price for it?
Im looking for a work horse rather than a collectors item so I think this suits quite well.
[/quote]

I'd say that was a good price for it. As others have said, if it were original you're looking at over £1,000. But to be honest, with the mods, you're probably getting a better bass for less money!

I thought that about the bottom of the scratchplate - the only times I've seen a Fender scratchplate leave a gap like that was with copies. My old Kay P left a gap like that when I tried to put on a Fender-sized scratchplate, as did my CMI, when I tried to replace the scratchplate on that.

I'd be careful.

Edited by Green Alsatian

Very good points, I had wondered that about it myself. Im not able to go and the view the bass currently and needed a second opinion. Thanks very much.

Im starting to wonder if money could be better spent on something else. Cant really make a judgement without seeing it firsthand.

A genuine 1978 - 81 would have a 'big F' Neckplate & black plastic neckplate cushion thingy. The body would have holes for a chrome bridge cover. The pickguard would not have the truss rod cutaway - just a small crescent & it would have pickup cover & finger rest screwholes. That is a colour I've never seen on a Precison of that period. Decal looks similar to my '81. If the neck is genuine I suspect that it may be the only bit that is.

I'd agree with all the comments above, if it doesnt seem right, it probably isnt.

The other thing that immediately struck me when i saw the pics (Before i read the comments regarding authenticity), is that the pic of the rear of the body, shows the top body contour looking alot deeper and bigger to me, as is often seen on replica's?? May be the 'angle of dangle' of flash etc, so don't make a decision based simply on that.

Personally, unless it was £400, i'd leave it alone.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1325979968' post='1490775']
I know, I've seen people do that before, in this case though, it appears to serve no purpose at all?
Unless the nut is knackered, and this was his option of stopping strings slipping? Who knows?
[/quote]

Could be! Personally I would give it a miss! :D

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1325979968' post='1490775']

I know, I've seen people do that before, in this case though, it appears to serve no purpose at all??

Unless the nut is knackered, and this was his option of stopping strings slipping? Who knows?
[/quote]

It's a fantastic fix for the rattley A that many F style necks experience.

The nut is brass so I doubt it is broken and it looks to be well fitting too. However it may accentuate the 440Hz buzzy thing and hence the string tree.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326014121' post='1490896']
Looking at this on the screen I noticed a few things .

The nut looks like brass and the D and G look sloppy.

One of the screw heads on the BAII appears to be missing/chewed/broken.

On the rear shot the neck seems to over hang the heel and then taper in. Almost like it's not straight.

The BAII appears to be very close to thd edge of the body. That could be angle of the picture or because mines slab bodied making it just look odd to me.
[/quote]

I thought that about the BA too. And if memory serves (on posting from my phone also) the neck volute seems to have been rubbed away to nothing - a sure sign of amateur interference.... oh and there was at least one broken off tuner screw.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1326021005' post='1491024']
May I ask where the bass is, I think I recognise it.
[/quote]

I found it for sale here, [url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104896168/vintage-fender-precision-modified-bass-guitar.html"]http://www.preloved....ass-guitar.html[/url]

Spoken to the seller a few times, bass is in andover and seller seems genuine but he confesses to not having much knowledge on bass guitars.

Edited by kyle3mh

(IF body and neck are Fender) That seems a reasonable price for what it is. However............

Trouble is Fender make [i]so many[/i] models that you never know unless you can actually take it appart. More importantly have a play on it. If it rocks your socks then it dosent matter what it is priced at, or what parts are made by whoever. You just have to ask yourself, do you want to pay the price to own and play the bass.

I have seen several basses on here that people were convinced were not Fender only to see them selves proved wrong, and vice verser. The fact that you cant go and see it is probably a deal breaker. :(

Edited by daz

[size=4][quote name='daz' timestamp='1326027379' post='1491181']
(IF body and neck are Fender) That seems a reasonable price for what it is. However...
[/quote]

IF! ...However! :D I agree. [size=4]As has been said, there's something not right about how the pg fits. Look again... apart from the gap at the jack end, see how close the pg is to the edge of the body at the cutaways... I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think this is a Fender body... and if not then it's not worth the asking price, IMHO[/size][/size]

[size=4]You could get yourself a brand new Fender P Standard CAR for far less than £600. For example.[/size]
[size=4]Or if you take your time you could do much better on here, second hand.[/size]

Edited by discreet