Why become a member? ×

I am after a good value 2x10 combo.

Dandelion

Currently connsidering the Marshall MB4210, Laney RB7 or the Fender 350 rumble.

I live out in the sticks so I am unable to try before I buy.

I like the Fender but it doesent have the option for an external cab if required.

The Marshall does, (and alledges a 450W output with an extension cab).

The Laney is a bit cheaper.

Looking for a pub rock affair to use with a standard Fender Jazz.

Any experience with any of these in terms of volume, tone, quality?

Ta!

I had the Marshall MB4210. It was very versatile, down to 3 different mid-selections, and 2 different channels - Modern, with compression, and Classic, with gain, and boost. These could both be blended together, so many different sounds available. Though I only ever used one sound from it.

I used to use it in a very loud heavy rock band. At practices,in a small venue which held 120 people, I just used to use it on its own, and it was fine. In general, I`d be running the volume on about 5. At gigs, I`d bring along the 115 extension cab. This added some oomph to the sound, plus, made it look like a Marshall stack, which was obviously very important in a heavy rock band.

In terms of volume, the combo on it`s own was loud enough for me, but the addition of the 115, especially in bigger venues, just added that extra "body" to the sound. For a covers band, the combo on its own should be fine, for heavy rock/metal (especially with 2 Marshall half-stacks), the extra cab is worth having.

I use the MB4210 combo using Fender Jazz basses. As already said, the combo is more than powerful enough to rehearse in a rock band although I also trot out the extension cab for gigs (for much the same reasons!). Very versatile as well covering a wide range of sounds.

Its fair to say that when some of the first MB amps came out, some had some QC issues, but Marshall got them sorted quite quickly and their customer service is second to none.

I picked up a mid-90's USA made Peavey Combo 210TX last year for £100 off ebay. It's battered, scuffed and bruised and has a couple of dead spiders in front of the cones behind the grill but it is plenty loud and sounds great. It's 210 watts but goes up to 300 with a cab. The only issue I have with it is that it is ridiculously heavy, like most Peavey gear. If you could source one of those (and I'm half-considering selling mine- drop me a PM if you fancy) for a decent low price that might serve your needs nicely!

Edited by jackduran

I've got a Rumble 350 and it's a good gigging amp. Used it in pubs with and without PA support and in a marquee last year. Volume never above half way. Tone is good, as long as you don't want to do dub I suppose :). The only let down, as you point out, is that you can't add a cab. Then it would be a very loud amp.

It depends on your budget & if you wanna go 2nd hand.

4 years ago I tried countless combos & amp/cabs & the best sub £1k rig I found for my needs was the Markbass 2x10 combo. You can get them s/h for @ £600.
Very loud combo for a 2x10.

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1325789839' post='1487839']
tc electronic bg500 2x10 blows any combo on the market away my mate has an eden combo great but not as deep and loud as a bg500 tried a markbass 2x10 combo and it couldnt touch the tc there is a 2x10 and a 15 model check ebay out theres one for sale on here for 350 its a tc bg500
[/quote]
I hear a lot of good things about TCE (except the "what's a watt" issue). I'm gonna have to try some of their stuff at some point! :D

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1325746003' post='1486905']
I don't know what your budget is , but I've yet to hear a 210 combo of any other brand , out perform the Eden Metro 210 .
2nd hand price - shop around , and it is bloody heavy .
[/quote]

[size=5][i]+1[/i][/size]

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat here. Looking for a 2x10 combo at a decent price. I've just been eyeing up the TCE BG500 then saw the new BG250. Although a 1x15, it's a decent price (£329 or so although Thomann have the G500 2x10 fro £396!). Power-wise, I'm looking at rehearsals and pub gigs, let's say small to medium pubs without PA support and hopefully PA support for all else. I also need to fit it into the back of a Lancer saloon (i.e. not a hatchback so depth of the amp could be an issue). Interested to hear opinions about the TCE gear. Budget would be around £300 (new or s/h) with a little leeway for the right amp.

Ta Daa!!!!!

Lookeee here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174930-peavey-bam-210-500-watt-modelling-combo-for-sale-l320-or-possible-trade/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Edited by Mudpup

If your budget can stretch, this will do the job and more very nicely. I had two GK RB115 combos for a while and they were fantastic sounding. Really honest and neutral.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174919-gallien-kruger-rb-700-2x10-combo/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174919-gallien-kruger-rb-700-2x10-combo/[/url]