Why become a member? ×

Fun and easy songs to playalong to

Highfox

A bit of time on my hands during the holiday period and whilst the band are taking a break as well I thought I'd have a go at learning a few bass lines to some songs I'd heard a lot but never tried learning.

I made sure they were fairly easy so as not to get too frustrated with my lousy ear :)

Brass in Pocket the Pretenders, just love playing it, even dropping to D tuning on a bass was new to me lol. Funny some people said Farndon was a crappy musician :( (great that he looked pretty cool and got bass players noticed)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLQRZgfASyc[/media]

and
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mImlSmXiOTA[/media]

a couple of feel good songs.

Monkey Man - originally Toots and the Maytals, slightly slower tempo, different bassline with a quick ascending scale. Faster and simpler as done by the Specials, Reel Big Fish, Amy Winehouse et al.

My tuppenceworth

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison. Drove the wife mad trying to learn this but it's worth the effort, even if I have to change a few bits because the guitarists don't play all their signature lines. Always cheers me up playing it.

Edited by cytania

I really find Rage songs fum to play. Easy ones like Clear the Lane, and People of the Sun, as the riffs are relativily straight forward. The brudge in Clear the Lane allows for some improvisation aswell.

I alway thought Rio - duran duran was a fun song, and Forget You - Cee Lo Green. But I wouldnt say they were easy.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1325482544' post='1483525']
Monkey Man - originally Toots and the Maytals, slightly slower tempo, different bassline with a quick ascending scale. Faster and simpler as done by the Specials, Reel Big Fish, Amy Winehouse et al.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, will have to have a Youtube listen to the original.

only of significance if you fall within a narrow age range (which all my friends and I do), the tetris song:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCCQxVBfyM[/media]

this was one of the first things I learnt to play on bass, and one I still rip out occasionally.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1325525554' post='1483974']
No Doubts cover of It's My Life, great fun.
[/quote]
I'd second that, just learnt it having never heard of the band before my bass teacher suggested it and it's a really good fun line to play, especially the prechorus section.

[quote name='JoshL' timestamp='1325535829' post='1484178']
I'd second that, just learnt it having never heard of the band before my bass teacher suggested it and it's a really good fun line to play, especially the prechorus section.
[/quote]

NO doubt tunes are fun. I've learnt that for some functions.

I learnt this for fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuVFHTvdaY

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1325417196' post='1482856']
Think my fave fun tracks are:

Gangsters - The Specials
A Message to you Rudi - The Specials
Monkey Man - dunno who did the original
Nightboat to Cairo - Madness

There`s just something about ska that is, well such fun.
[/quote]
Monkey Man might be fun but I wouldn't say it's easy