Why become a member? ×

Precision vs Jazz vs Warwick vs other Precision

The Dark Lord

Stick with the pick - I loved both Ps, but my favourite is the PJ. I noticed the up/downstrokes thing, too - were you aware you were doing that, or do the Jazz and the Warwick bring that out unconsciously? I had to think carefully whether it's something I might do. I don't think so...

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325089418' post='1479720']
Tell you what though ..... when I DO play with fingers, which is not very often and I'm not a great finger style player, the bass does sound quite different. There's (maybe) a wee bit more expression to it and it will probably highlight the differences between the basses a wee bit more.

If I get time, later, I'll see if I can add another clip with all the basses played fingerstyle. You do get way less volume with fingers than a pick ..... but I'll give it a bash.
[/quote]

Now that would make it [b]the[/b] ultimate comparison. :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1325089637' post='1479722']
...... I noticed the up/downstrokes thing, too - were you aware you were doing that, or do the Jazz and the Warwick bring that out unconsciously?.......
[/quote]
It wasn't a conscious thing. The whole video took a bit of time and I was possibly getting tired by then. Or, maybe the Precisions make me play differently. Both Precisions are 1999 - with serial numbers so similar, that they were probably made in the same batch. A visual inspection shows them to be virtually identical in dimension everywhere. In particular, the necks are BIG. That's certainly the case compared to the much thinner one on the 2010 Jazz and the even thinner one on the Warwick. Maybe the physical dimensions led me to play them differently? I dunno. As I said, I didn't think I had until someone mentioned from the video.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325095882' post='1479833']
....... Never been a Warwick fan though.........
[/quote]
The Warwick is very light and very easy to play. The neck is very slim, but also feels great. I'm not convinced by the Vintage MEC pickups. They are VERY low output and I don't like the sound compared to the Fenders ........ it's not a bad sound, just a different one. I might get the pickups rewound to make them hotter.

The Warwick was one of those impulse buys. Cost very little from this forum from a guy just down the road. An amazing price I just couldn't turn down.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Okay. Here are the same four basses again, in the same order. This time through my TC Electronic gear (RH450, RS210 and RS112). All of the basses have the same settings as in the last video and all of the basses have the same amp settings ....... except the Warwick which has lower output pickups so the gain and volume have been dialed up on the amp, plus I have removed some of the mids from the Warwick. Please forgive me finger style playing and my timing ..... this is a sound test, not a demonstration of my ropey playing.

http://youtu.be/_Wl56dqSmUc

My initial impressions are that the Vintage White Precision still sounds great, the P/J maple Precision is not as suited to fingerstyle ........ but the Jazz sounds far better with fingers. The Warwick also sounds better with fingers but still doesn't match the Fenders IMHO. To be fair, the P/J and MM style Warwicks are better.

It's also fair to say that an accomplished finger style player would no doubt squeeze a better sound out - but hey, at least I had a go.

Will come back to this..can't get the playback to work for me... it is a work thing.

My guess is that the white P will transpose better IN THE TRACK as the balance of the sound between strings between the lower register of the riff and the higher part is better on that bass for that song...
If I had to choose the best sound and could split the parts... I wouldn't pick the same bass for both.

But need to hear this update.

The PJ won for me on the second clip. First clip I didnt really rate on of them.

J was the most disappointing on the second clip, with both pups on you loose a lot of the mid range, same for the Warwick which is why im struggling to understand your complaint on "middle-y" sound.

It's all about the mid-range anyway.

Love my Wariwick Corvette $$ to bits.

Nice i little comparison.. The only thing I would say is when using the Jazzes , P/J or warwick is that really you need to compare the use of the pups/EQ, as they will sound different at different setting. I can't remember the last time I've used my Jazz full on both PUP and I've never used my P/J Pups on full together..

I think this doing it this way is a good example of this, but doing it with four basses would take alooooong time.. mind you there is along of waffle.. p.s. start listening from 2:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

I think the Jazz sounded better in that track... nothing really gets me about the rest, tbh.

I think if you swapped around with the playing style, you'd really have to go to work on a sound/bass that could cover both..or swap basses for those respective styles.

I guess what I am trying to say, if you play pick AND fingers, the J is the most versatile..which is what we'd all expect anyway.

I don't know if I made it clear. In both clips, the Precisions were "full bore" - full volume and tone on all available pickups.

The Jazz and the Warwick , in both clips, we're full tone, full neck pickup volume and half bridge pickup volume. That's just the way I like the sound. I sometimes roll the tone back on my basses for some songs ..... but not in these clips.

The Warwick plays and feels great, but I'm not 100% sold on the sound. It gets better IMHO when the lower mids are rolled off on the amp. I had a Warwick Fortress One before, with P/J pickups. Much better. I like the Older Warwicks. I might alter the pickups on this one or may switch to an older P/J Warwick again.

My take on all of this is that I will remain a pick player, as I like the sound and vibe. Bass wise, to me, the White P is the best pick bass, followed closely by the P/J ( for songs where I want a more aggressive sound). The Jazz and Warwick are not far behind. For finger playing, I think the Jazz has it, with the Warwick and White P not far behind. To me, the P/J doesn't cut it with fingers

Mind you, the P/J has been rewired as a stereo bass which makes it a great live performer ...... but that's another topic.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1325094486' post='1479813']
that Amp sounds amazing!
[/quote]
Yeah. It's the best piece of musical gear I've ever bought. £1,000 seems a lot for a small bass combo, but have a search on this forum for user comments. All of us who have them are blown away by the sound quality, the compact dimensions - and the astonishing volume you get from it. Every time I play through it with someone present, they say "wow, that sounds great".

I have commented on here before that you could easily play a gig in a pub with two rock guitarists and a drummer with it. In fact, I have. Mind you, I am a pick player.

I am seriously considering replacing my main rig with four of these to create a 4 x 10 800 watt combo ....... or should that be a 4 x 1x10 800 watt combo. Then I would have the ultimately flexible arrangement where I could take 1, 2 or 4 units depending on the gig ..... and could easily store them in the house.

Edited by mercuryl

With regard to the opening post:

4th. I was pretty indifferent to the Warwick sound. Seemed to be lacking some character although nicely balanced across the hz. Even clarity.

3rd. The Precision is as the Precision does. Big bottom end, lots of character.

2nd. P/J introduced some nice highs over the P yet retained that P character. Retained that big bottom nicely.

1st. Not a big bottom but a nice colourful character and loads of clarity without too much filth. What sealed it here for me was that ethereal hollow thang on the ascending bottom E to G.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1325196293' post='1480931']
I can't remember the last time I've used my Jazz full on both PUP and I've never used [/quote]
Interesting, that. I only play them with both p/ups balanced.

Edited by mckendrick

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fernandobicho' timestamp='1326980854' post='1504633']
Hi Merc.......I was wondering how does it sound the Amp One with the fingers. With the pick it sounds great!......It's a 10'' not a 12''. And....don't you miss the tweeter?
cheers
[/quote]
Sorry, did I say it was a 1 x 12" somewhere? Can't see that I did ..... and if I did I didn't mean to. Don't know what the Amp One sounds like with fingers. Never really done so.

Nope, don't miss the tweeter as the Amp One has such a huuuuuuuge range of tones from highly sharp trebly to deeeeeep bass. I don't guess it needs a tweeter. Not for me anyway.

Edited by The Dark Lord