Why become a member? ×

Bad Amp-share....

tombomb

[quote name='tombomb' timestamp='1329148969' post='1537852']
Right, Jan was a good month.
New speaker, pedal (from bc), cab-case (from bc).

Given the way this thread started I could end it with an opposite and much happier story from our first 2012 gig.
We were put on to headline and happily shared my backline - this time to some people with brains in their heads.

Absolutely crappy house kit, the floor tom kept falling over! But it's about having fun right
Good fun gig. 10 months into starting playing and my 10th gig ever I'm actually starting to enjoy this music malarky!!

[attachment=99888:good ship.jpg]
[/quote]

Good news man. If you keep at it you'll go far.
My originakls have been together a good few years and done a fair few gigs and are starting to get bigger and bigger gigs, glastonbudget and a few supports this year.

Anyway, I post as no E-string man decided to try and crash my gear on ouor last gig.
The guy had dreads and was actually a nice guy. Up until I finished my set andwas asked if I could lend him my bass which I just spent forever fixing. He broke his E-string..... Alarms bells rang immediately!! I remembered the start of this thread and my heart sank.
Conversation.
Guy: Hay man, nice set. Can I borrow your bass.
Me: Urm.
Guy: My E-string is broken.
Me: (I remember the thread) so you came to a gig with out a fully strung bass?
Guy: Well, kinda.
Me:................Ideally, no.
Guy: I can't use the other guys, it's in C.
Me: You cna use mny tuiner to tune it up?.

He then started using my amp, I was under the impression there was one to be provided but after I asked if he had his own he said "I was just going to use this" as he lays a full pint on top of it. Which I moved, and turned the gain effectively off.

Anyway. My amp survived. We were supposed to be supporting those douche bags.

Horror stories.....

We have said it many times before, if the other band does not have the courtesy of advance notice..ie the bass player calls you personally to ask..and therefore you gauge from that contact what you want to do..., then it is not your fault he arrives at a gig unable to fulfil his duties....

Also, I think you should be telling the promoter who you want on the bill..ideally

Hi Lawrence, yeah, with the 18 Sound. So much more noise than the 8Ohm 200W that was in there.
I reckon it sounds pretty good, although playing over the neck pickup with the drive pedal on sounds a bit "farty" which disappears when I play up towards the neck... The G&L pickups seem pretty hot so maybe turn the input down on the pedal??

Having had two completely different experience sharing, I reckon I could tell the difference between a chancer and a genuine considerate player.
The two bands I shared with on sat were awesome guys, it didn't feel like talking to a distracted twelve year old when i was telling them how to use my amp!!

Prime - that comment about putting a pint on top of your amp just send shivers down my spine. Seriously.

Anyway, this month is getting even better as a video that we filmed a couple of months ago has just come back to us and is now released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGJ8bXm1E0

Would genuinely appriciate any feedback, good or bad. For me it looks pretty good, if anything though a bit too much style over substance - not really a massive plot but nice transitions between scenes, good slo-mos etc.

Cheers.

[quote name='tombomb' timestamp='1329215336' post='1538779']
Prime - that comment about putting a pint on top of your amp just send shivers down my spine. Seriously.
[/quote]
Blood boiled mate! I don't look after my basses exactly but my amp and cab are immaculate. There is a certain etiquette that doesn't need to be explained when using someone elses stuff.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329157340' post='1538108']
We have said it many times before, if the other band does not have the courtesy of advance notice..ie the bass player calls you personally to ask..and therefore you gauge from that contact what you want to do..., then it is not your fault he arrives at a gig unable to fulfil his duties....

Also, I think you should be telling the promoter who you want on the bill..ideally
[/quote]

If he had asked me before we went on I could have strung up and E in seconds on his bass for him.

Since we brought most of the audience in the promoter has given us a gig supporting some band that is supposed to be good (youtube vids confirm but anyone sounds good after a few pounds have been spent) .

I always let others use my cab, but NEVER my amp. Even with advance notice. If anyone asks the answer is no.

Using the cab comes with the requirement that no drink gets sat on top of it. I always tell folk, if I see a pint on it during your set I'll come and unplug it mid set, even if it's not your pint. protect it. People always think I'm joking...

6 months ago, at a Nottingham show a guy did not take notice. He turned up 'assuming' he could borrow gear, yet I still let him use the cab after he pleaded another bassist to let him use his amp. I went up to the stage mid set and pointed at the pint sat on my cab. He moved it looking a little coy. 5 minutes later, his singer put a pint of water on it. I gave him 60 seconds to notice, walked over, got up on stage as they finished a number, flipped the power to his amp off and unplugged my cab. The band started swearing at me. I swore back and told them they had been warned twice. My closing words were "if you want to play a full set next time, I'd suggest bringing your own gear".

I wasn't very popular. Oh well. They were warned.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329217406' post='1538836']
I always let others use my cab, but NEVER my amp. Even with advance notice. If anyone asks the answer is no.

Using the cab comes with the requirement that no drink gets sat on top of it. I always tell folk, if I see a pint on it during your set I'll come and unplug it mid set, even if it's not your pint. protect it. People always think I'm joking...

6 months ago, at a Nottingham show a guy did not take notice. He turned up 'assuming' he could borrow gear, yet I still let him use the cab after he pleaded another bassist to let him use his amp. I went up to the stage mid set and pointed at the pint sat on my cab. He moved it looking a little coy. 5 minutes later, his singer put a pint of water on it. I gave him 60 seconds to notice, walked over, got up on stage as they finished a number, flipped the power to his amp off and unplugged my cab. The band started swearing at me. I swore back and told them they had been warned twice. My closing words were "if you want to play a full set next time, I'd suggest bringing your own gear".

[/quote]

Good man! :D

[quote name='tombomb' timestamp='1329215336' post='1538779'] Hi Lawrence, yeah, with the 18 Sound. So much more noise than the 8Ohm 200W that was in there. I reckon it sounds pretty good, although playing over the neck pickup with the drive pedal on sounds a bit "farty" which disappears when I play up towards the neck... The G&L pickups seem pretty hot so maybe turn the input down on the pedal?? Having had two completely different experience sharing, I reckon I could tell the difference between a chancer and a genuine considerate player. The two bands I shared with on sat were awesome guys, it didn't feel like talking to a distracted twelve year old when i was telling them how to use my amp!! Prime - that comment about putting a pint on top of your amp just send shivers down my spine. Seriously. Anyway, this month is getting even better as a video that we filmed a couple of months ago has just come back to us and is now released! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGJ8bXm1E0 Would genuinely appriciate any feedback, good or bad. For me it looks pretty good, if anything though a bit too much style over substance - not really a massive plot but nice transitions between scenes, good slo-mos etc. Cheers. [/quote]

Very good. Although I got the good headphones out for this, the bass could do with turning up a little bit more on the track, in some sections I can barely hear it. But thats just me and I like tracks to be very bass heavy.

[/quote]

I'd have taken the cab off stage at that point...

[/quote]

I have a warm feeling inside from reading this :)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1329235002' post='1539277']
I have a warm feeling inside from reading this :)
[/quote]

:-)

I had a guy ask if he could use my Roscoe at a gig about 6 months ago. We played a live show with ska & punk bands (odd mix for us to play with) and one guy was drunk out his face and wouldn't let it go. Asked about 5 or 6 time if he could use my bass rather than his Mex Jazz. I thought he was joking around to start with... turns out he does it at every gig and often people say yes!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329237103' post='1539348']

I had a guy ask if he could use my Roscoe at a gig about 6 months ago. We played a live show with ska & punk bands (odd mix for us to play with) and one guy was drunk out his face and wouldn't let it go. Asked about 5 or 6 time if he could use my bass rather than his Mex Jazz. I thought he was joking around to start with... turns out he does it at every gig and often people say yes!
[/quote]

What....?!

Why wouldn't he just sell it and invest in something he'd rather play.

Pleb.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329238128' post='1539371']
He was a massive stoner and always drunk for gigs. Real punk muso personified. He Jazz was battered to hell, he didn't have 20p to his name. I guess this seemed easier...
[/quote]

Sigh. What a douche.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329237103' post='1539348']

[/quote]

I've had that before at a gig, except substituting a Roscoe for a Viger. Worse thing was he asked if he could borrow my Ibanez, which I assume is the drunken name for every bass not shaped like a Fender!

My band is supporting GBH and The Vile (ex Discharge and a couple of other bands) on a couple of weeks. Last week at band practice the drummer, who sorted the support slot, informed us we had to supply:
The drum kit
Bass amp and cab
2 guitar amps and cabs

We only have one guitarist...

I might take my nice Ampeg, 4x8" and 1x15" and my Peavey MkIII and Laney 4x10". I could then run 2 rigs for our set and then pack away the good stuff after we've finished!!

Sharing gear is always tricky. Not sure what gigs people do on here, for me its mostly stuff where I need my own gear (ie no other bands playing) and so not a problem, but both my lads play in bands which play in pubs and bars regularly with 3-4 bands and there is ALWAYS gear sharing. Not because people don't have gear, there's just not the space nor time for everyone to have the luxury of their own rig. Its usually the headline band gear but arranged beforehand so people know what to bring. Its just the way it is.

Its never 'posh' gear but I find it refreshing the respect the different bands give each other and their gear and lack of pre-madonna attitudes about sound and always grateful. Bass playing son has an old, s\h Hartke head and cab, nothing worth much, and it gets used all night if he's last on. In what much be well over a hundred gigs between them only problem has been someone's bass cab blew while my son was playing. An issue at the time, wasn't his fault (he knows what he's doing) and they came to an amicable arrangement about its repair (son didn't need to pay in the end). Not sure how things would work if everyone said 'not using my gear'.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1329271598' post='1539967']
In what much be well over a hundred gigs between them only problem has been someone's bass cab blew while my son was playing. An issue at the time, wasn't his fault (he knows what he's doing) and they came to an amicable arrangement about its repair (son didn't need to pay in the end). Not sure how things would work if everyone said 'not using my gear'.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem letting people use my amp or cab with prior arrangement or in an emergency. It's when people just show up and expect to use your stuff.

I'm always cool with the bass cab, as long as people are polite enough to ask in advance and treat it with respect. You are right if no one ever wanted to share gear then gig logistics would be a nightmare. There are limits though. The main reason my amp is off limits to others is that it's a 1400w PA power amp which has be tuned by computer to the gain structure of my slightly unique effects set up. Clipping an amp at 1400w is not good for my cab and as I can't just flick a switch and it be tuned perfectly for the input gain of other bassists I don't allow the risk.

Our drummer is in a similar position. His kit is a hybrid. 3 snares. No Toms. No kick (a floor tom on a side mount). The entire kit is tuned up so it sits well above the bass. Other drummers don't want to play it... And we sound a bit naff if we use another ('regular') kit, as we have invested an awful lot of time and money in creating a sound. Basically if we play a show we need to do a full back line swap with exception of bass cab.

We are a 2-piece though so that balances it out ;-)