Why become a member? ×

Bad Amp-share....

tombomb

My standpoint on it has changed slightly recently to cope with idiots and seem a little more accomodating.

You want to use my cabs? You're using my amp aswell.

You want to use my amp? You're using my cabs aswell.

You're drunk/stoned/idiotic/annoying? Get lost!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1329254095' post='1539750']
My band is supporting GBH and The Vile (ex Discharge and a couple of other bands) on a couple of weeks. Last week at band practice the drummer, who sorted the support slot, informed us we had to supply:
The drum kit
Bass amp and cab
2 guitar amps and cabs

We only have one guitarist...

I might take my nice Ampeg, 4x8" and 1x15" and my Peavey MkIII and Laney 4x10". I could then run 2 rigs for our set and then pack away the good stuff after we've finished!!
[/quote]

WTF?! You provide the gear and no doubt do the setup, the hanging around for hours after you've played and the consequent breakdown for the "honour" of playing support?

Nah. Don't care who they are, wouldn't be for me.

I don't mind lending out my amp to other bands, there's 2 rules though:

You don't touch anything unless I told you you can. We usually headline shows, last thing I need is someone messing with my amp settings after we've soundchecked and before we play. Even if we're not headlining, there's just no need. I've never heard a bass that didn't sound good through my amps with any EQing that I use (apart from one that wouldn't have sounded good through any amp).

You ask me BEFORE the gig. The amount of times people show up to gigs and say "hey, that dude's got a stack, that's better than my crappy Ashdown combo, I'll use that instead" well....**** off. I didn't spend all this money on an amp so you could have free rental on it for your gig. Bands that want to borrow a bass amp because getting their's there is impractical or whatever, that's ok (though they still should be prepared to take their own if I wouldn't lend it out) but people that see it's a nice amp THEN ask to use it. Nope. We played with a band in York a while ago that turned up then asked if they could use my bass amp, luckily someone had a spare 15w Ashdown practice amp for them. They got banned from playing that venue again because they messed about with all their gear.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1329297811' post='1540093']
WTF?! You provide the gear and no doubt do the setup, the hanging around for hours after you've played and the consequent breakdown for the "honour" of playing support?

[/quote]

Yeah, part of me feels that way.
But then the generous side of me takes over and it is the reason I kept hold of my old Peavey/Laney set up.

Also, fortunately the drummer, lives around the corner from the pub and, knows the pub manager pretty well so we can leave the amps and cabs in a safe room. He'll then collect everything and bring it back to us the next day.

Of course if the 2 touring bands turn up in a massive van I'll not be best pleased.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329294401' post='1540036']
I'm always cool with the bass cab, as long as people are polite enough to ask in advance and treat it with respect. You are right if no one ever wanted to share gear then gig logistics would be a nightmare. There are limits though. The main reason my amp is off limits to others is that it's a 1400w PA power amp which has be tuned by computer to the gain structure of my slightly unique effects set up. Clipping an amp at 1400w is not good for my cab and as I can't just flick a switch and it be tuned perfectly for the input gain of other bassists I don't allow the risk.

Our drummer is in a similar position. His kit is a hybrid. 3 snares. No Toms. No kick (a floor tom on a side mount). The entire kit is tuned up so it sits well above the bass. Other drummers don't want to play it... And we sound a bit naff if we use another ('regular') kit, as we have invested an awful lot of time and money in creating a sound. Basically if we play a show we need to do a full back line swap with exception of bass cab.

We are a 2-piece though so that balances it out ;-)
[/quote]

I'd love to hear this!

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1329297811' post='1540093']

[/quote]

That's the way things go though unfortunately! Imagine the cost of logistics, for example, for an American band to get all their gear over here to tour. Just having the flightcases for the gear would cost an arm and a leg, let alone actually getting them across here... so the deal often is that they provide the name, and UK support band provides the means. At least you're not dealing with someone different every night and (you'd have to hope) you will almost certainly be dealing with a "professional" in terms of attitude!

I would lend or source gear if this kind of deal came up that would allow us to go on a tour that would benefit the band that we wouldn't have otherwise been able to get onto.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1329299788' post='1540124']
Yeah, part of me feels that way.
But then the generous side of me takes over and it is the reason I kept hold of my old Peavey/Laney set up.

Also, fortunately the drummer, lives around the corner from the pub and, knows the pub manager pretty well so we can leave the amps and cabs in a safe room. He'll then collect everything and bring it back to us the next day.

Of course if the 2 touring bands turn up in a massive van I'll not be best pleased.
[/quote]

This is all fair comment. Sometimes the organiser will be trying to make life as easy as possible for himself so if you agree to take the stuff he doesn't have to phone round the other bands. Only share what you're happy to, the other bands need to take a turn too. Pantherairsoft is not in a position to share his amp, so someone else will have to supply an amp.

I think the comments regarding pre-arrangement and courtesy are apt, nobody should be turning up to a gig expecting to just plug and play. If you do and are as disrespectful as the '3 String Wonder' in the OP you will quickly gain a reputation and end up with all jack sockets closed - a possibly the deserved punch up the throat!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329294401' post='1540036']
The main reason my amp is off limits to others is that it's a 1400w PA power amp which has be tuned by computer to the gain structure of my slightly unique effects set up. Clipping an amp at 1400w is not good for my cab and as I can't just flick a switch and it be tuned perfectly for the input gain of other bassists I don't allow the risk.
[/quote]

If it's an amp with a digital front-end, does it allow for a hard limiter to be programmed in as a second preset separate to what you use? That with a subsonic filter would give as close to bomb-proof a set-up as you could ever get...probably even more than letting someone use your cab with an unknown amp (as I bet your amp has DC and generally more sophisticated failsafes)

sure....but why go to that effort for someone else...??

I like the idea of me being the sole responsibility for any sort of damage to my kit...and on my head be it.
Nothing more annoying than someone else bombing a set-up that you have painstakingly looked after...
I prefer not to be in that positon and don't do gigs where it is expected to amp-share.

I find I would be far more open to actually doing it from a convenience POV as opposed to it being
helpful to the promoter...and don't even get me started on doing all this for no fee..!!

I did in fact offer my rig to a support band recently, but they were perfectly happy with their stuff...
Just as well..as I found out that they didn't own a tuner between them... ha ha !! or even use one..!!

:lol: :lol: Old news, I know.

My band have a gig on Friday and initially the promoters communication was very poor until he needed a drum kit. As he hadn't been as forthcoming with us, we declined. He has now asked if we can bring a "bass amp" what a cheeky b*****d i thought.

So I remembered this thread sent an email back and basically said I can bring my amp no problem, but its for my use only and the other bands would need to bring there own. I'm sure we are on first so why should I wait round after our set while other more established bands use our gear piss poor I think. Needless to say the promoter is yet to reply.

[quote name='deanbean502' timestamp='1329329616' post='1540806']
...why should I wait round after our set while other more established bands use our gear...
[/quote]

Quite. It's bad enough having some twonk abuse your gear without having to be part of their 'audience' while they do so.

[quote name='deanbean502' timestamp='1329329616' post='1540806']
My band have a gig on Friday and initially the promoters communication was very poor until he needed a drum kit. As he hadn't been as forthcoming with us, we declined. He has now asked if we can bring a "bass amp" what a cheeky b*****d i thought.

So I remembered this thread sent an email back and basically said I can bring my amp no problem, but its for my use only and the other bands would need to bring there own. I'm sure we are on first so why should I wait round after our set while other more established bands use our gear piss poor I think. Needless to say the promoter is yet to reply.
[/quote]

Its usually the last band on who has to share most gear. There's no point just saying 'no' to the promoter, he's just trying to put on a gig so you can play. Its not a bad thing to share your gear, most gigs is necessary. Just have to avoid the sort of situation of the OP. Organise things before hand and be respectful to others and their gear.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1329305623' post='1540242']
I'd love to hear this!
[/quote]

Links in sig bud! :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1329327672' post='1540776']
If it's an amp with a digital front-end, does it allow for a hard limiter to be programmed in as a second preset separate to what you use? That with a subsonic filter would give as close to bomb-proof a set-up as you could ever get...probably even more than letting someone use your cab with an unknown amp (as I bet your amp has DC and generally more sophisticated failsafes)
[/quote]

It does. I have a limiter set and a high pass filter at 35hz with a 48db/oct roll off. If you hit the limiter though it sounds NASTY. Sounds as though the cab has exploded with an abrasive bang. Worlds scariest limiter! :)