Why become a member? ×

6 String bass with EADGBE tuning

eponymous

[quote name='eponymous' post='166190' date='Mar 29 2008, 11:46 PM']Hi bassists, I'm a guitarist and I want to learn the bass. I want a six string bass and I don't want to have to learn any new tunings. Who makes a six string bass with EADGBE tuning? I'm talking about a genuine bass, not a baritone guitar. Anyone?[/quote]

First of all stop thinking like a guitarist.

I would start on a 4 string at first before going to a 6, 6xers have a huge neck.

Also Basses arent tuned EADGBE it is usually BEADGC. Its far more useful to have a LOW B string as apposed to a high C and an even higher note. Or else you might as well just stick with a guitar. Bass is part of a different family of instruments to guitar, So the tuning is different. Garenteed in 99% of band situations you would not use the High C string let alone any higher.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='jono b' post='166213' date='Mar 30 2008, 01:32 AM']Does he not mean that he's after a bass in a similar vein to the Fender Bass VI, which was strung the same as a normal guitar, but tuned an octave down?[/quote]

kinda what sprung to my mind

[quote name='eponymous' post='166190' date='Mar 30 2008, 12:46 AM']Hi bassists, I'm a guitarist and I want to learn the bass. I want a six string bass and I don't want to have to learn any new tunings.[/quote]

Sounds to me like you are a guitarist who DOESN'T want to learn the bass!
I play guitar primarily but I've never seen bass tuning as an issue, why not just dive in and see how it goes with a more regular tuning?

[quote name='tempo' post='166200' date='Mar 30 2008, 01:13 AM']Yeah, sorry. I didnt think. DO NOT THINK AS A MUSICIAN, ONLY A BASSIST![/quote]

I like you......very well said.

You've picked a bit of a dodgy site to ask for advice on something, that hasn't only got 4 strings, and doesn't have a Fender logo on the headstock.

And you haven't exactly received a very pleasant welcome have you, you go to the trouble of registering on a bass site and you get some of the replies like you've had.

There are a few more enlightened and friendly people on here though.

Quote - I would start on a 4 string at first before going to a 6, 6xers have a huge neck.

6 string basses don't all have have huge necks, My modulus has 17mm string spacing and a lovely slim neck.

As for strings try these people here, they're already been recommended to you once, and I'll 2nd that recommendation, they make great strings, buy the 7 string set and just use the ones that you want.

[url="http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar_strings.htm"]http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar_strings.htm[/url]

Also try Status, they do custom sets.

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/cart...ames/frame1.htm[/url]

You can tune a bass however you want, you're obviously used to the EADGBE tuning so stick with it, it's going to be your bass.

Try this site for more open minded information.

[url="http://forum.extendedrangebassist.com/"]http://forum.extendedrangebassist.com/[/url]

Edited by 6stringbassist

seems to be a lot of needless aggression in this thread!

let the guy have it tuned as he wants, he'l realise as he learns that beadgc would be far more useful, or even eadgcf#

a 6 string bass is much harder to play effectivly than a 6 string guitar

Let me tell you a story... are you sitting comfortably? :)

I played bass first, and tried guitar later, and when I did I found myself at odds with the standard guitar tuning. I came to the conclusion that the tuning makes sense in one specific context: for strumming full 6-string chords. Coming from the bass side, however, I was used to the strings being a major 4th (5 semitones) apart, so could I tune the guitar EADGCF? Turns out it works just fine for many things, and I still do it today, though I don't play guitar much. I have a system of working out chords (a spreadsheet), and the chords can be transposed in two dimensions - up the neck and across. There are even some chords that I can strum on all 6 strings: just not as many compared to standard tuning.

Since you're (generally) [b]not[/b] going to be playing 6-string chords on bass - ewwww! - I think you have no reason to want the same tuning on the bass as the guitar. I think this is behind to some of the comments here about "thinking like a bassist" - and also our objections to the term bass [i]guitar[/i]. To get the most out of the bass, you will have to go beyond guitar techniques. Sure, it's possible to play a bass like a guitar, to lay a bassline down, and I don't mind when guitarists like Satriani and Vai do that - it gets the job done on tracks where it's all about the guitar. Those guys also know that if they want a more complex bassline, and more of a band feel, they need to get a bassist in to the studio. :huh:

Slightly off topic but I wonder what would have happened if Leo Fender had wanted to attract guitarists rather than double bassists and the Precision had been tuned EADGBE? Would everyone then laugh at four stringers as ukulele players who didn't really want to play bass? :)

Anyway, if you're going for a bass that will feel more guitar like then the Music Man or Fender VI mentioned above would be good. An Ibanez Soundgear may be good too as the necks are quite slim ( although you may need the nut redoing to accomodate EADGBE tuning). Failing that, why not pick up a cheapie 6 string bass from Ebay( there a fair number of manufacturers available) and have the nut swapped and set up for EADGBE? Then you can see if it is what you're after without spending loads.

Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='tempo' post='166200' date='Mar 30 2008, 01:13 AM']Yeah, sorry. I didnt think. DO NOT THINK AS A MUSICIAN, ONLY A BASSIST![/quote]

In Shockwaves defence (and that will be a rare thing, as I'm generally inclined to make fun of him behind his back), he is coming from the perspective of a shred guitarist turned bassist, so his point is to an extent valid, in that all guitarists only think one way, and can't accept any other way of thinking until they try to learn a real instrument like the bass..

There, I think I sort of struck a balance between defence and still making fun of there...

[quote name='Alun' post='166311' date='Mar 30 2008, 01:58 PM']( although you may need the nut redoing to accomodate EADGBE tuning)[/quote]

I think it's almost certain that a nut would have to be made to suit a six string tuned in this manner. Not an expensive job though. If you try [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/"]Strings Direct[/url] they can supply individual strings. If you start with a standard four string set, say 105 - 45's you just need to source the strings for the high B and E.

I honestly think a 6-string neck would be a bit much for you to be comfortable on, without a lot of practice. A 4-string bass is not somehow "less" than a 6-string, you're not "more" of a bassist if you have more strings.

How about a 5-string? I play one tuned EADGC, which would also work in EADGB - I just have to buy "High C" sets.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='166389' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:29 AM']I think it's almost certain that a nut would have to be made to suit a six string tuned in this manner. Not an expensive job though. If you try [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/"]Strings Direct[/url] they can supply individual strings. If you start with a standard four string set, say 105 - 45's you just need to source the strings for the high B and E.[/quote]

Thanks for this useful answer. Why are people acting like an EADGBE tuning for a six string bass isn't a legitimate tuning? I know that there are bassists who play it this way.

My biggest concern is the string I guess, not the guitar. I would like to have the string gauges for the 4 lowest strings the same as on a traditional 4 string bass. Any suggestion of string for the high B and E?

Thanks again.

[quote name='bnt' post='166414' date='Mar 30 2008, 12:10 PM']I honestly think a 6-string neck would be a bit much for you to be comfortable on, without a lot of practice. A 4-string bass is not somehow "less" than a 6-string, you're not "more" of a bassist if you have more strings.

How about a 5-string? I play one tuned EADGC, which would also work in EADGB - I just have to buy "High C" sets.[/quote]

I'm not really concerned about the comfort. I know it will be uncomfortable at first. And I don't think that a 4 string bass is less of an instrument than a six string. That is just the way I want it.

For all those who think I'm trying to find a shortcut to learn the bass, this is not so. I know the bass is a different animal from the guitar which I am used to. I would just like to have EADGBE tuning on it. It's not the tuning that makes it a bass, it's the sound.

Thanks

[quote name='tempo' post='166194' date='Mar 29 2008, 06:56 PM']hi, you can buy, and string any 6 string bass that way, just a case of finding the right strings. Overwater do a 7string set 130-25, just use the top 6 of that.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I'll check out the Overwater strings.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='166294' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:26 AM']I like you......very well said.

You've picked a bit of a dodgy site to ask for advice on something, that hasn't only got 4 strings, and doesn't have a Fender logo on the headstock.

And you haven't exactly received a very pleasant welcome have you, you go to the trouble of registering on a bass site and you get some of the replies like you've had.

There are a few more enlightened and friendly people on here though.

Quote - I would start on a 4 string at first before going to a 6, 6xers have a huge neck.

6 string basses don't all have have huge necks, My modulus has 17mm string spacing and a lovely slim neck.

As for strings try these people here, they're already been recommended to you once, and I'll 2nd that recommendation, they make great strings, buy the 7 string set and just use the ones that you want.

[url="http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar_strings.htm"]http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar_strings.htm[/url]

Also try Status, they do custom sets.

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/cart...ames/frame1.htm[/url]

You can tune a bass however you want, you're obviously used to the EADGBE tuning so stick with it, it's going to be your bass.

Try this site for more open minded information.

[url="http://forum.extendedrangebassist.com/"]http://forum.extendedrangebassist.com/[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the very useful info. And most of all, thanks for being kind to the newbie!

[quote name='Alun' post='166311' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:58 AM']Slightly off topic but I wonder what would have happened if Leo Fender had wanted to attract guitarists rather than double bassists and the Precision had been tuned EADGBE? Would everyone then laugh at four stringers as ukulele players who didn't really want to play bass? :)

Anyway, if you're going for a bass that will feel more guitar like then the Music Man or Fender VI mentioned above would be good. An Ibanez Soundgear may be good too as the necks are quite slim ( although you may need the nut redoing to accomodate EADGBE tuning). Failing that, why not pick up a cheapie 6 string bass from Ebay( there a fair number of manufacturers available) and have the nut swapped and set up for EADGBE? Then you can see if it is what you're after without spending loads.

Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Thanks. You are not the only person that says that the nut may need changing. Why? Is it because the tuning would be a little off otherwise, or is it because of the closeness of the string to the fretboard?

[quote name='eponymous' post='166536' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:54 PM']Thanks. You are not the only person that says that the nut may need changing. Why? Is it because the tuning would be a little off otherwise, or is it because of the closeness of the string to the fretboard?[/quote]

The latter basically. If you buy a standard 6 string bass, the nut grooves are likely to have been cut for a BEADGC set, so will be deeper than you may need for EADGBE. So the strings may sit too low in the grooves and therefore buzz eg you could be putting a .105 E string in a groove designed to seat a .130 B string so it'll sit at the bottom of the groove.

You might get away with it, but it's likely to need a new nut. Any half decent repairer should be able to sort this out for you.

You may also need to tweak the truss rod slightly to accomodate the new string tension, again a decent repairer/luthier should be able to do this for you if you're unsure what to do ( you don't really want to experiment with truss rods unless you're confident you're doing the right thing)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='166543' date='Mar 30 2008, 03:04 PM']The latter basically. If you buy a standard 6 string bass, the nut grooves are likely to have been cut for a BEADGC set, so will be deeper than you may need for EADGBE. So the strings may sit too low in the grooves and therefore buzz eg you could be putting a .105 E string in a groove designed to seat a .130 B string so it'll sit at the bottom of the groove.

You might get away with it, but it's likely to need a new nut. Any half decent repairer should be able to sort this out for you.

You may also need to tweak the truss rod slightly to accomodate the new string tension, again a decent repairer/luthier should be able to do this for you if you're unsure what to do ( you don't really want to experiment with truss rods unless you're confident you're doing the right thing)

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

[quote name='eponymous' post='166525' date='Mar 30 2008, 08:38 PM']For all those who think I'm trying to find a shortcut to learn the bass, this is not so. I know the bass is a different animal from the guitar which I am used to. I would just like to have EADGBE tuning on it. It's not the tuning that makes it a bass, it's the sound.[/quote]

Thinking more like a bassist then many bassists i know :)