Why become a member? ×

Gigs And The Day Job

Pete Academy

Ive still got a part time day job doing care work around my local area. Its flexible enough but I still seem to be calling the office non stop asking for yet more time off. They never say no, but you can tell they really dont like it either. I try to make up the hours lost where I can, but its pretty hard to do a lot of the time. Juggling two jobs is tough no matter what especially if gigging is one of them. For my personal situation though Im hoping that by about march next year I can quit and just do music to survive. x

In the past when I've been an employee of a company working hours were flexible so long as the company could afford for them to be. That meant if I needed to leave early for a gig it was possible so long as I made up my hours over the course of the month. However the price of that was when we were very busy I would be expected to drop everything (including the band) and work the hours required to get the job(s) out of the door on time. I was lucky that I never had any major band/work time conflicts but there were a couple of close calls.

These days I'm self employed and therefore my own boss. I treat the band as another client (albeit one that doesn't pay particularly well) and arrange my time on a first-come-first serve basis. However I am in the fairly good situation where I can afford for the band to come first a lot of the time. Having lived like this for over 2 years now, I would find it very hard to go back to 'normal' employment and the lack of flexibility that comes with it.

I'm a receptionist at a police station (I'm not a police officer myself) but during the last twenty years it has rarely been a problem to combine being a musician and a receptionist..
I have never been able to make the switch to being a full time musician..I'm not an adventurous person and I always thought it was too risky making a living out of playing music..
Also I don't like the idea of being dependent on bands or singers (there's a lot of strategies going on and I prefer to be "clean" and not have to lie or exagerate to get my gigs or sessions). I just pick the things I like even if they are less paid.
I don't have to worry about my paycheck and still I can do gigs...
Usually gigs are during the weekend so that's no problem...My superiors don't give me a hard time when I'm asking for a day off.
To be honest : when I'm surrounded by musicians during a couple of days I find it boring after a while : the same musician's stories, the complaints about the crowd or the sound, the ego's..
Sometimes I'm glad to go back to the police station again and leave the music world behind...

I work for a Primary school as a teaching assistant. My paid hours have been cut repeatedly over the last couple of years and I've made up the financial shortfall with more live band work and teaching guitar and bass. However when I get asked if I can do some extra hours at school(say for covering a colleague off sick), if I say 'sorry, got a band commitment' they get a bit snotty.
It's my experience in a very varied 35 year working career that employers try to have it both ways - if you let them get away with it.
But, as I advise youngsters - If you act like a carpet, people will walk on you

I've been in music retail for a very long time.

Years ago, our company was taken over by Sound Control. Our band plays around 2 gigs a month, always out of the Stoke area, where i live. Inevitably, these gigs sometimes fall on Saturdays. My then manager would only let me leave at 4.45 at the earliest. This meant getting alternative transport to gigs and was quite stressful.

These days I work for an independent store. On a Saturday we employ seven staff, more than enough to cope. If a gig falls on this day, I generally have to leave around 4pm, or slightly earlier, as our gigs are now mainly theatres, which are early start times. At times I may need the entire day off.

When I accepted the job, the owner and manager assured me that getting time off to get to gigs would be no problem, as the store was now independent. However, almost four years on, I'm now getting flack for wanting to leave early. The other staff members assure me it's not a problem. This year I gave up the last week of my holidays, so that I could make up the hours, and so it would be more than fair on the other staff members.

Like a fool I should have had the initial agreement in writing instead of just verbally.

Bear in mind, this is a major music store, and I am the only musician working there that gigs on a regular basis. Shouldn't this be a plus for the store?

I have again offered to make up the time for 2012 by forfeiting days off and holidays, but the manager insists he needs me in on Saturdays.

Any thoughts?

Gigs only for me so not a problem.
Seriously Pete if you ever need a dep I know the pad, and I definitely wouldn't be trying to hustle the gig off you, similarly Neil Fairclough (who Bryan knows well) would be able to step in. I know you probably wouldn't want it to come to that but you have to butter your bread dude...

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1324053903' post='1470390']
Gigs only for me so not a problem.
Seriously Pete if you ever need a dep I know the pad, and I definitely wouldn't be trying to hustle the gig off you, similarly Neil Fairclough (who Bryan knows well) would be able to step in. I know you probably wouldn't want it to come to that but you have butter your bread dude...
[/quote]

I have thought about that, Jake, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I've been doing this band for almost 15 years and never missed a gig. I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for the offer though, mate...I would always have you or Neil in mind if it came to that. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1324054066' post='1470393']
I have thought about that, Jake, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I've been doing this band for almost 15 years and never missed a gig. I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for the offer though, mate...I would always have you or Neil in mind if it came to that. :)
[/quote]
No probs and I hope for your sake that it doesn't come to that too..

When I was trying to become famous I worked as a temp. I could practically work whatever days I wanted.

I told one boss that I wouldn't be able to work the next day as I had a gig and the agency would be sending someone else tomorrow. He said "Oh good, I was going to get rid of you anyway. Don't come back."

I didn't.

When I used to work for The Academy of Sound in Leicester quite a few years ago nearly everyone that worked there was a gigging muso including both the manager and assistant manager. As such we all covered for each other if someone had an epic journey for a gig or a really early get in and kept it fair for everyone. As most of my gigs were in Leicester I was always happy to cover for the other guys.

It's different now working for a computer games company. We don't work Saturdays normally so that problems gone and if I'm gigging mid week as long as I do my core hours that day I can leave anytime after 4. that normally means getting in earlier and working through lunch. If I need to leave any earlier I take a half day holiday. However if we are in full production of a game my hours go into 'crunch' which normally means 12 hour days and very rarely any chance of taking a half day. When this happens I dep out mid week gigs and keep the weekend gigs.

It's difficult juggling both sometimes. I'm surprised by Pete's situation working in a music shop, I would have thought they would be a bit more understanding.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1324054555' post='1470414']
When I used to work for The Academy of Sound in Leicester quite a few years ago nearly everyone that worked there was a gigging muso including both the manager and assistant manager. As such we all covered for each other if someone had an epic journey for a gig or a really early get in and kept it fair for everyone. As most of my gigs were in Leicester I was always happy to cover for the other guys.

It's different now working for a computer games company. We don't work Saturdays normally so that problems gone and if I'm gigging mid week as long as I do my core hours that day I can leave anytime after 4. that normally means getting in earlier and working through lunch. If I need to leave any earlier I take a half day holiday. However if we are in full production of a game my hours go into 'crunch' which normally means 12 hour days and very rarely any chance of taking a half day. When this happens I dep out mid week gigs and keep the weekend gigs.

It's difficult juggling both sometimes. [b]I'm surprised by Pete's situation working in a music shop, I would have thought they would be a bit more understanding.[/b]
[/quote]

Exactly.

I guess it depends on the nature of the work. I spent most of my working life working in a project-orientated environment where deadlines and results were more important than being seen to be at a desk. Even during the 80s, before the widespread advent of electronic communications, I would regularly work at home if I wanted to. This became even easier when email and remote networking became widespread. I made sure my work never suffered so my bosses never cared where I was as long as they could contact me if they needed to.

Consequently, time off for anything was never a problem; school plays, sports days, school runs, leaving at midday on Fridays for a long weekend, etc etc. During my 40s I doubt I ever spent a whole week in the office, even when I was the boss, and before I retired early I was working mostly from home and only visiting the main office once or twice each month. And when I was the boss I was perfectly happy for my staff to also work flexibly as long as it didn't impair their performance or the business.

You may have to push for such flexibility but it's certainly possible in many jobs these days. The biggest obstacle to such working practices are 'middle managers' who have nothing to do all day except watch over their staff. My view has always been that if someone requires that level of management then they're not the right person for the job and that if the middle-manager hasn't got anything else to do then he's just unnecessary baggage for the business to carry.

We've certainly turned a lot of trib band work down becasue it was midweek. Even Fri's can difficult as our drummer often works late. Guitar player's a retail manager so it's now his silly time of year - late night shopping etc.

Of the three of us , I have it easiest by far. If we gig I can start work later the next day and never work later than standard office hours. No commute so I'm relaxed and ready come setting off time.

Rod on the other hand arrives home at 6.15 , bolts a cup of tea on the fly , suit off , T shirt on and away 30 mins later without a sit down. Collects me about 7. Sometimes he comes straight to mine from work with the gear aready packed but - much as we try to ply him with food - he won't relax and only ever sips at a cup of tea.

Mart arrives at a venue up to an hour after us and sometmes barly has tome to set the drums up. Happily, his son helps as our roadie.

Absolutely no flexibility with my employer whatsoever. A real pain working saturdays as well. If I were to work through my break all that would happen is I'd get knabbed to still work to the end of my shift. Booking days off is a real nightmare, last week I had to book my leave for next year, up until April 2013, and there is talk of limiting availability.

I've recently turned down an audition with an originals rock band because I couldn't commit to the gigs, some too far off and a lot midweek.

My employer takes the stance that we shouldn't have outside interests it seems.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1324057256' post='1470460']You may have to push for such flexibility but it's certainly possible in many jobs these days. The biggest obstacle to such working practices are 'middle managers' who have nothing to do all day except watch over their staff. My view has always been that if someone requires that level of management then they're not the right person for the job and that if the middle-manager hasn't got anything else to do then he's just unnecessary baggage for the business to carry. [/quote]

Well you'll be glad to know that many big buisinesses have been "flattening" thier business structures over the past 10 years, which means less "middle managers", greater efficiency, greater flexibility, easier communication, many job losses and greater amounts of stress and anxiety for the people who remain in their jobs. Apparently.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1324059028' post='1470486']
Absolutely no flexibility with my employer whatsoever. A real pain working saturdays as well. If I were to work through my break all that would happen is I'd get knabbed to still work to the end of my shift. Booking days off is a real nightmare, last week I had to book my leave for next year, up until April 2013, and there is talk of limiting availability.

[/quote]

Limiting availabilty to take your holidays that are stated in your contract? Tell them to pi$$ off!

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1324054555' post='1470414']
I'm surprised by Pete's situation working in a music shop, I would have thought they would be a bit more understanding.
[/quote]

Sadly Im not surprised at this, I once had a job teaching in the back of a music shop. I had loads of students who absolutely loved me and their parents loved the progress the kids always made. Ended up getting fired from that job for taking too much time off for touring etc....apparently according to the manager the kids didn't need someone who was out their doing it who they could look up to and gain real life knowlege from in the times I was around. What they really (apparently) wanted was some non gigging teacher who was there day in day out to teach scales but felt like gigging life failed them and disuaded the kids from trying it themselves. When the students found out half of them came to me asking for private lessons outside of the shop as they really wanted to keep me as their teacher. But the shop manager put a stop to that too accusing me of stealing all his clients. :rolleyes:

I have just started at my new job and before I took it, they made it clear that gigs could not interfere with my work.

I don't work weekends and we all finish at 4:00pm on a Friday so I hope it won't be a problem.

Weekday gigs are no longer possible as I work 40 miles from home and would have to take a half days holiday :(