Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2012

Guest LondonBassGuitarShow

Hi Everyone,

The London Bass Guitar Show 2012 will once again take place at the Olympia Conference Centre on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th March.

I would like to take this opportunity to open conversation with the Bass Chat forum members about the show. Those of you who came last year will know that it is a show well worth the visit - Show only prices, masterclasses, live stage, meet your idols, new gear, UK firsts and much more!

We can now confirm 4 artists for the masterclass suite -
Tony Butler Neil Murray Andrew Levy Jon Thorne

Main stage artists will be announced soon in the new year.

Tickets are available from the website [url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com"]www.londonbassguitarshow.com, [/url]also here are videos and images from the 2011 show!

As sound was an issue raised by members in the past, this has been tackled and will not be a reoccuring problem at the 2012 show - but, as a precaution free earplugs will be available from the Bass Guitar Magazine stand on entry.

Please leave your comments here and we hope to see you at the show in the new year!

Sounds great can't wait for this again ! I would make the following comments:
[list]
[*]Entry to the venue was slow (I was there at Saturday opening), having to use the lift was very inefficient, but I suspect this is beyond your control and maybe a H&S requirement of the venue.
[*]Volume/lack of breaks was indeed a problem, but this appears to have been addressed already.
[*]Cafe/seating area was great - let people get away from it all and chill out, make sure this doesn't get encroached upon by having more stands.
[*]I didn't get any free gear, can you sort this out ? :)
[/list]

I'll be attending again on the Saturday with my wife - enjoyed last years show very much in the limited time we had there in 2011.

Good to see that the noise situation is being looked at - I would have thought it would have made more sense for some "soundproofed" areas to have been made available for those who wanted to try instruments at a loud level through amps.

I attended with a couple of friends on the Sunday last year - probably be attending with more friends this year...

As you say, noise levels were a problem last year but I think all who attended are aware of who the worst offenders were...(I like Louis' idea of soundproofed rooms..)

IIRC many stands had headphones (e.g. Musicman stand) which meant much freer use/testing of their basses. Will these headphones be available to members of the public (to purchase if necessary) thus allowing us to try equipment at zero volume?

This will have the desired effect of significant noise reduction and also give members of the public the opportunity to try more equipment. I know that I found it frustrating that each time I got to try gear the bell would ring for "quiet time" and instruments and amps would have to turned off.

I, like many others, had a really good time last year and can't wait to see who's playing on which day - hoping to see Meshell Ndegeocello/ Victor Wooten/ Bootsy Collins - announcements in the New Year won't come quickly enough..

You can bet that demand for BC Polo shirts will increase with the lead up to the show..will there be any reduction for those wearing their BC colours??

Getting excited already!!!

Edited by TheGreek

I was there on the Saturday this year and I agree with the above comments about noise and slow entry, although the latter wasn't too bad at the time I arrived (it apparently got much worse later).

I loved the show itself and the masterclasses and gigs. I found the seating at the cafe to be insufficient for the number of people there, and also wasn't impressed by the limited choice of food and, if I can be honest, its quality.

Edit: forgot to say I'll be there again next year, on the Saturday.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1323796155' post='1467209']
[list]
[*]Entry to the venue was slow (I was there at Saturday opening), having to use the lift was very inefficient, but I suspect this is beyond your control and maybe a H&S requirement of the venue.
[/list]
[/quote]

"the lift" ? You are not saying thats the only way to gain entry are you ?

I attended on the saturday last year and agree entering the show was slow.
One thing i found frustrating was the lack of smaller retailers selling general bits of bass gear.
It was great for amps and basses (Not that you could tell what they sounded like when played simutainously by 20 budding slap players) but i would like to see more general gear.We cant all afford to go and buy a new bass but bits of gear, oh yes ! Bass inspiration for me was TM Stevens what a nice guy with so much bass passion.
I enjoyed the whole thing generally as it was just bass and we should use it or lose it !
See you on the Saturday

I hang my head in shame :)

in over thirty years of playing,I have never been to a
show like this,
been to the car show, :) not many basses though

so I will make the effort to go next year,just mentioned it to the wife,her answer

good idea honey,you go to the show and I will go shopping :)
so there we have it,I pay for her shopping,I may buy some goodies cheap,
job done,

so if you see this guy walking about on his own looking forelone and lost say hello,
I dont bite,will probally be the one looking wide eyed at all the bass candy on show
and carrying too much for his little arms to carry

cheers
stef

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1323856191' post='1467730']
I would love to go to this, but I'm well out of London - it just wouldn't work - can it go on tour? :)

G.
[/quote]
Same here. Just priced up the mainline train travel, parking at the station, tube tickets, entrance tickets and factored in a very conservative budget of £20 for dinner/refreshments. I can't get it any lower than £176.90 for the wife and myself and that's without spending anything on gear. Stuff that, I will be ordering a set of Quarter pounders and a Gotoh 201 for my build project and still be a few quid better off (and have something to show for the outlay at the end). It may have been a different decision had it been held at the Birmingham NEC.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1323874666' post='1468102']
Can we have a ban on slapping in general and Nigel Clutterbuck in particular?

But keep it in London. At least if the show turns out to be crap there's still plenty of other things to see and do. Something that can't be said for the NEC.
[/quote]

Oh I Say! Steady on! Birmingham has some of the best..erm....finest.....most popular.......erm....well it's got the best 'Bull Ring' shopping centre in the whole of the UK. And, so I am lead to believe, the district known as Handsworth is one of the finest places in the world to be scared of on a Saturday night. :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1323860252' post='1467798']
@stef - I'm going to pester this community so that we organise a meetup of Basschatters at the show. You won't be forlorn or lost for long :)
[/quote]

now that could be a bit of a plan,
would be nice to put faces to the fellow chatters,

nice

stef

I hope there will be some good players to learn from at this one. I plan to go since i've never been. Went to Bass Day UK this year and apart from Marcus Miller and Berhard Lackner i felt that the show was a bit bland. I few players that were doin there Clinic were surprisingly sh*t. Please don't cop out this one! The whole reason in having these days is to learn and see good players step out the norm. Would love to see Laurie Cottle at this one maybe??

Hi Cocobasser, Laurence Cottle was at the show last year performing on the main stage. ore artists will be announced shortly.

TM Stevens will be giving another masterclass and live stage performance this year too :)

Guest Daniel Bird

I will be there working with Mark @ Bass Direct so come say Hi :-D

Loved last year (although standing opposite the Gallien-Kruiger stand was bad for my ears and bowls) and can't wait for the next one already!

Can't wait to catch TM again. Legend!

• 2 months later...

[size=5][b][i]John Paul Jones[/i] To Appear On Manson Guitars Stand At London Bass Guitar Show[/b][/size]

We are delighted to announce that the legendary John Paul Jones will be making an appearance at this year’s show. The Led Zeppelin bass superstar will be appearing on Manson Guitars stand (number D5) at approximately midday for just one hour on the Sunday. John will be available to meet and greet fans and talk about his 5 star rated John Paul Jones signature bass, which will be available for purchase at the show! This is a rare chance to meet a living legend, so make sure you get to the Mansons stand for his appearance from 12:00 to 13:00.

Tickets: http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/get-tickets.html