Why become a member? ×

Where do all the beat up basses go?

LukeFRC

I don't like well kept basses. I've traded a few and am afraid to play them. My JV and Warwick are both in good condition but have been played in a bit.
My T40 is up for trade and to be honest I would love to see some beat up, sticker covered, badly modded thing to get offered in a trade.... but have you noticed that hardly any beat up basses float around bass chat? Where are they all?

Must agree, I prefer "done-in" instruments, but legit wear. My `77 has some wear, though not much for a 34 year old instrument. It kindof makes me think it`s "hardy" and will take punishment well, if that`s all that has happened to it in all that time.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1323369289' post='1462658']
They end up in that German shop, Music_Outlet_Shop. There are some real beat-up and hatchet-jobs on that site!!
[/quote]

I was looking for traces of my old status shark bass the otherday. They still have the same overpriced one as when i started playing bass almost 10 years ago!

It's odd.... I often wonder how many beat up basses are [b][i]really[/i][/b] beat up after all.

I've been playing a 69 Jazz with regularity since about 1979. Use it all the time. It gets knocked, it falls over, it get's left in the sun, under hot lights, rarley gets put away, I wear a belt, I wear the cuff-zip of a leather jacket over the top contour. All this has been going on for thirty odd years....

....and apart from the odd minor ding, there isn't a worn out bit on the thing.

Go figure, chaps.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1323367868' post='1462618']
I don't like well kept basses. I've traded a few and am afraid to play them. My JV and Warwick are both in good condition but have been played in a bit.
My T40 is up for trade and to be honest I would love to see some beat up, sticker covered, badly modded thing to get offered in a trade.... but have you noticed that hardly any beat up basses float around bass chat? Where are they all?
[/quote]

All the beat up basses get put up in lofts/under beds where some magic happens over the next 20 years and they become desirable once more.

Allegedly.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1323428059' post='1463185']
They get "modded" by the good citizens of bass chat,who never knowingly let a bargain pass them by...
[/quote]

:) there was a dismantled, stripped (badly) status groove bass in the for sale bit a while back- I wish I had jumped on that- wonder where it went

Edited by LukeFRC