Why become a member? ×

Best quality beginner bass

skinzz

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1323170411' post='1459972']
Another thing to remember is that your first bass is the one that falls over after you leaned it against an amp, or falls out of a case that wasn't closed properly , gets 3/4 pint of Stella spilled over it etc,etc.
[/quote]

True. Some of us don't learn though.

The price of the bass is irrelevant. It's far more important to start off on an easily playable instrument with a low-ish action (the height of the strings above the fretboard). If you want pay to £1500 for a bass and can afford it that's fine but it isn't necessary to pay that much to get a nice sounding playable bass. I would recommend finding a bass you like the look/sound of and then getting the shop to set it up for maximum playability (go to a shop with an in house guitar technician who will do this for you).

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1323166764' post='1459905']
When I was a teenager beginning to play I really wanted a Rickenbacker, but I couldn't afford one, I still can't. But that was my dream bass.
[/quote]

Funny things, dreams - my first 'proper' bass was a 4001 I got for my 18th. Loved it at the time, but with hindsight it wasn't a great bass, and I can't be doing with them now...

Still, if you're young, get what makes you feel good if you can afford it. Sensible is for later in life...

To the OP, I'd say - what do you want to see yourself holding when you look in the mirror? Get that one - with your budget, you'll be pushed to buy a 'bad' bass. Secondhand will save you money, though...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1323174377' post='1460051']
Wouldn't call something that's £1500 a beginner bass!
[/quote]

A 'beginner's bass' and a 'bass for a beginner' aren't necessarily the same thing...

If someone wanted to learn to ride a horse would you put them on an arthritic old nag? OK, strange analogy. :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1323178221' post='1460136']
A 'beginner's bass' and a 'bass for a beginner' aren't necessarily the same thing...

If someone wanted to learn to ride a horse would you put them on an arthritic old nag? OK, strange analogy. :)
[/quote]
You wouldn't put them on a thoroughbred race horse either.

Well I've just bought a jazz bass. mim for 120ukp.....very pleased ...its not pretty but it sounds great...I will invest my $$$ in a good tutor and try to do things correct...I am using a cardiff based tutorwho is highly recommended on this forum. maybe nice amp/cabs will come before getting a new bass.

everybody is different...so do what's best for you.

agreed with previous posts that going into a shop is intimmidating for a beginner.

sod it....just buy a stingray!

I'm just looking for a good quality bass, easy to handle for a beginner, sounds good , with descent pickups that dont buzz/hum, active or passive ? budget is not really an issue, ive aquired an ashdown 5 15 amp so im sorted there

More advice please lol

Edited by skinzz

Ok, if you haven't got a particular image/sound/style in your head, and you just want a good quality bass with a range of sounds which is comfortable and easy to play, I don't think you can do better than an Ibanez SR500. They just feel so ergonomically right - the necks are slim and very easy to get around. Less than £500 if you're buying new, £300 or so for a decent secondhand one. They come with Elixir strings, which are coated and very slinky if you're playing fingerstyle. Just the easiest playing bass I've tried.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1323181825' post='1460211']
Because if you can play a crap instrument and make it sound good then you can make anything sound good.
[/quote]

But that's the trouble for a beginner isn't it?

As an old philosopher (with very poor grammar) once said: "Quest to make crap bass sound good leave many by wayside".

If budgets no problem theres no point asking us you need to get out there and try some, some will feel horrible, others much more like it. You could be a Fender man, Gibson, Warwick, wide neck, flat, thin, It's personal ! Anybody know motorbikes ? your either an Aria fit or a Shoei :)

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1323253245' post='1460989']
If budgets no problem theres no point asking us you need to get out there and try some, some will feel horrible, others much more like it. You could be a Fender man, Gibson, Warwick, wide neck, flat, thin, It's personal ! Anybody know motorbikes ? your either an Aria fit or a Shoei :)
[/quote]

With respect, surely the whole point here is that a beginner is in no position to make an informed choice, and no amount of tryouts is going to change that fact. You might as well tell him to go out and buy the one with his favourite colour scheme, or with the shiniest knobs, or any one of half a dozen other criteria that have nothing to do with the technical or aural qualities of the instrument. Nobody with any knowhow buys a £1500 bass just because it's a nice shade of blue. If the buyer wants to spend that much just because he can then fine, but let's not kid ourselves about it.