Why become a member? ×

P pickup choices

JoshL

Having seen some of you guys bass builds and mods its got me seriously tempted to trying to modify my second bass, a squire affinity p bass, with either just a new single pickup or possibly trying to put in a pj setup.
I was just wondering what pickups you guys would recomend if I went for just a new p pickup and if it would be feasable to try and put a pj setup into it with not a lot of work being done to the bass itself?

I put a set of these in my Squier P and I'm really pleased with the tone! Cheaper than a lot of others too...

[url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-PB-Pro-PLUS-OVERWOUND-Alnico-P-Bass-style-VERY-hot_p_334.html"]http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-PB-Pro-PLUS-OVERWOUND-Alnico-P-Bass-style-VERY-hot_p_334.html[/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1323169240' post='1459951']
I put a set of these in my Squier P and I'm really pleased with the tone! Cheaper than a lot of others too...

[url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-PB-Pro-PLUS-OVERWOUND-Alnico-P-Bass-style-VERY-hot_p_334.html"]http://www.guitarfet...-hot_p_334.html[/url]
[/quote]

'an almost unbelievable amount of low end grunt, snappy string response and sweet, round tone.'

At the same time?

What are you looking for?

There's a huge choice of pickups out there, but you need to know what sort of sound you're trying to achieve. Seymour Duncan 1/4-lbs and Lollars both sound great ... but they're very different.

With the P/J approach, bear in mind that you'll never get the full range of Jazz tones. I did this with my old Maya P-bass and I use either the neck pickup or the bridge pickup - I don't even try to blend them, it just sounds wrong to me.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1323170107' post='1459967']
'an almost unbelievable amount of low end grunt, snappy string response and sweet, round tone.'

At the same time?
[/quote]

Oh yeah. And they do the weekly food shop as well! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323170270' post='1459969']

With the P/J approach, bear in mind that you'll never get the full range of Jazz tones. I did this with my old Maya P-bass and I use either the neck pickup or the bridge pickup - I don't even try to blend them, it just sounds wrong to me.
[/quote]

I have trouble mixing P and J too. I suspect something could be done by amping them separately or putting a short delay on one.

Both my builds I put Wizard's in - 1. They are reasonably priced (£50 for a set of bespoke Scatterwound Pickups!!) 2. The serviceis great.

Bought a set of Wizard Trads for the first - atypical Precision sound
The next one I stuck a set of "Thumpers" in - have a nice "dark" overtone to them (don't know how else to describe them).

I know a few of the guys on here have used Wizards and I havent heard a bad thing said about them. Rather have these than fork out extra cash for a set of SD's

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1323170659' post='1459978']
I have trouble mixing P and J too. I suspect something could be done by amping them separately or putting a short delay on one.
[/quote]

I don't think so ... the classic, "burpy" Jazz tone requires two single-coil pickups, ideally with exactly the right spacing between them. Having a Split-P humbucker as one of the two pickups rules that out entirely.

+1 for Wizards, I use the Big pair (Thumper and 84) in two completely seperately basses and they're great in both. Very reasonably priced, too. P/Js sound like P/Js, rather than Jazzes - I like to think of it as a classic P with the option of adding another pickup into the mix (however you find it sounds, it's certainly different). The 84 is one of the few J pickups I can use soloed - it's got so much presence. For another slightly odd option, I've got a pull-pot wired to put them in series, too - not the most subtle tone, but useful in a live situation for a mid-boost.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323171795' post='1460005']
I don't think so ... the classic, "burpy" Jazz tone requires two single-coil pickups, ideally with exactly the right spacing between them. Having a Split-P humbucker as one of the two pickups rules that out entirely.
[/quote]

No, I agree that you probably can't get the J tone from a PJ. There may well be a different, but great, sound available from both pickups on a PJ but I haven't really found it yet.

Thanks for the sugestions everyone, I think if I go for it I'll probably jist stick to a new p pickup rather than trying the pj route since it would be my forst time trying anything like this. I mainly want to get a bit more grunt and power overal on the sound with an emphasis on the lower end of the sound spectrum. This bass has done a great job for me gtting me actually into playing bass but ot just lacks that bit off power I'm finding, esspecially when I run it back to back after using the g and l.