Why become a member? ×

Which Precision should I get?

franzbassist

So, with a trade of my Squier Matt Freeman imminent I am looking to upgrade my P bass but am slightly bewildered by the choice! Any thoughts on what's good? Not looking to spend silly money, and if the quality of my Squier is anything to go by I don't need to anyway, but some pointers would be welcome.

My choices, buying new, under £800, look like being:

Standard P bass - £413 (with current rebate offer)
Roger Waters P Bass - £583
50s P bass - £601
Deluxe Active P Bass Special - £647
American Special - £793

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gareth

I really liked the sound of the 50's P I tried when looking at P basses a while back, but I didn't like the neck personally (but then I like baseball bat necks so I'm probably disqualified from judging). I would say go for the standard and then mod it as required.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1323081777' post='1458905']
....My choices, buying new, under £800, look like being:

Standard P bass - £413 (with current rebate offer)
Roger Waters P Bass - £583
50s P bass - £601
Deluxe Active P Bass Special - £647
American Special - £793

Any thoughts?
...[/quote]

Does it have to say Fender on the head?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1323081777' post='1458905']buying new, under £800[/quote]
Given the number of Precisions that come up here, for under the upper limit of your budget, why are you thinking about buying new? Could be you just want that "I'm the only person to own this" rush or are a registered business so can take advantage of offsetting VAT, but otherwise?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1323084838' post='1458964']
Given the number of Precisions that come up here, for under the upper limit of your budget, why are you thinking about buying new? Could be you just want that "I'm the only person to own this" rush or are a registered business so can take advantage of offsetting VAT, but otherwise?
[/quote]

No qualms about buying used through BC at all, just not seen anything that grabs me at the moment.

EDIT: Correction, may have just spotted one!

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1323082992' post='1458930']
Indeed it is. I forgot to mention that I play in a Jam/Weller tribute band, so ideally I'd like it to look like one of Foxton's basses.
[/quote]

Given the above, I`d look at a Black Classic 50s Precision, and then swap the gold pickguard for a black one. Instant Foxton from Setting Sons era.

I had a Classic 50s P for a while, and apart form not having thru-body stringing, there wasn`t much difference between that and my US Precisions. Only sold it as I found out I`m not a maple-fretboard kinda guy. But the quality, playability, and sounds from these basses are amazing.

And there`s one up for grabs on here, at a great price:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/161473-fender-classic-50s-precision-as-new-with-gig-bag-trade-possible/

Another option you could do is try and find a Highway One (upgraded). In my own experiance : the Highway one is my main bass and I own a Mike Dirnt sig and an American Standard P. When I got the Dirnt I thought this was the best bass from fender I had played, then I got the american standard a few years later and thought nothing could beat this, I got my Highway One in July 2011 and it kicks both those basses put together.

Everything about the bass is amazing, neck feels comfortable and fretting notes is easy, its a nice weight, the body is comfortable, has the nitro finish which I love - picks up all the dents and sweat from gigging and will wear over time, badass 2 bridge which is great and the stock pickups in them sound beautiful.

Now this is obviously IMO others may have experienced differently.

Only issue is I believe the Highway Ones have been discontinued, I got the last one from DV247, but I'm sure there's some online shops that may have a few if not some second hand ones.

Hope that has been some help!

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1323098909' post='1459232']
Just because you mentioned it I played an American Special and it was very nice. I beleive this is what has taken over from the Highway One.
[/quote]

It does look like that but there are some difference between the two lines, its a shame the HW-one is no more.

i have a 50s re issue, the maple neck is stunning, a real vintage gloss. mine has Basslines so cant say too much about the original sound but its a lovely bass. i also have a standard Mexican (for sale actually ;-) ) and the quality is awesome. iv never played a USA Fender but its hard to see how they can be too much better than my Mexicans
si