Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Strings on a CV Jazz Bass?

thebigyin

Forgive me for this question but am i ok to put a set of 'flats' on a squier cv jazz bass.....the chap at store were i purchased it doesn't recomend it? He say's 'flats' are better on a precision? as the jazz neck is thinner [which i new].....I mentioned why do they use 'flats' on a fretless jazz then.....but he couldn't answer or have i answered my own question? Bit confused as i don't want to cause any harm to neck of bass.....any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm just starting back after a long layoff....not in a band yet....just practising at mo'.....i'm into Blues, RnB old school vibe ect....if this can add any light to above?.....I read somewhere that 'Jerry jemmott' used 'flats' on his jazz plus foam muting ect to get that 'sound' i'm after.

Cheers Bob.

There is nothing wrong with putting flats on your CV jazz, or in fact putting them on any bass. At the time that the Jazz was introduced the only strings available were flatwounds. I have TI flats on a 62RI jazz and they sound and feel great.

When I had a CV Jazz I tried several types of flats on it, like I always do.

There have been lots of Jazz/flats players over the years - Joe Osborn, for example - and as obbm says, when the Jazz was introduced there was no such thing as rounds.

Your shop man might be stating a personal preference but he's not stating a universal fact.

Get some flats now!

+1 for ET. It's probably his preference. Loads of players have used (and still do use) flats over the years. Use what you feel is right for you. You will certainly get nearer the old school vibe sound you're searching for with flats that's for sure. I have just taken some off a CIJ P bass I have just got; they weren't right for me and I much prefer the nickel round wounds that are now on it. Horses for courses I guess. Good luck with the practice.

Mark.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1322987194' post='1457875']
.... the jazz neck is thinner [which i new] ..... Bit confused as i don't want to cause any harm to neck of bass.....
[/quote]
On this point, the unfounded fear is usually that flats will be too high tension for the neck but flats aren't necessarily higher tension - just like rounds, there are higher tension and lower tension flats - and anyway, that's what the truss rod is for.

Edited by EssentialTension

Forgive me for this question but am i ok to put a set of 'flats' on a squier cv jazz bass.....the chap at store were i purchased it doesn't recomend it? He say's 'flats' are better on a precision?[/quote]

He's talking rubbish.

No wonder some guys in guitar shops get a bad name. May I recomend Status flats. Great strings and very good value as well. Just go to the online shop bit and the strings are in there.

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]http://www.status-gr...index_home.html[/url]

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322989113' post='1457885']
There have been lots of Jazz/flats players over the years - Joe Osborn, for example - and as obbm says, when the Jazz was introduced there was no such thing as rounds.

[/quote]

Really ? I always thought flats came [i]after[/i] rounds ? Well, a they say. [i]You learn something new every day[/i].

hi there,

My Squier VM Jazz bass is equiped LaBella 760FL. I have been to use the 760FL instead of the 760FS to avoid neck damage.
And well, even with the FS, my fingers feel the difference :).

anyway I do recommend the flat on the Jazzbass. I had to switch band lately and my news mates were very happy with the sound!

cheers,
Chris

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323008468' post='1458194']
Really ? I always thought flats came [i]after[/i] rounds ? Well, a they say. [i]You learn something new every day[/i].
[/quote]
The standard story is that the first roundwound bass strings were produced by James How (RotoSound) around 1963 for John Entwistle. Whether those were really the first roundwound bass strings I don't know but rounds were certainly very uncommon and for most people remained uncommon for some time after 1963. Until at least 1976, and perhaps later, a new Fender came with flatwound strings as it always had done.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1322992925' post='1457920']
He's talking rubbish.
[/quote]

Totally! When I had a CV Jazz the first thing I did was have it strung with flats - no issues on the neck & worked fine. Sounded great too!

If you want to try them on the cheap then I would agree that Status flats are worth a go - very old school sound.

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1323036159' post='1458615']
If you want to try them on the cheap then I would agree that Status flats are worth a go - very old school sound.
[/quote]

My own CV jazz has Rotosound flats on them and sounds fine.

I think it was those Status flats that were recomended to me by Steve_Soar. Are they any good? I dont recal seeing them anywhere.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323036772' post='1458626']
I think it was those Status flats that were recomended to me by Steve_Soar. Are they any good? I dont recal seeing them anywhere.
[/quote]

They certainly are very good. I use them on my Status S2 fretless. The way I EQ the bass produces this lovely big fat, warm tone. One drummer I've played with commented that the bass was the most upright sounding electric he's heard. That says enough for me.

Forgive me for this question but am i ok to put a set of 'flats' on a squier cv jazz bass.....the chap at store were i purchased it doesn't recomend it? He say's 'flats' are better on a precision? as the jazz neck is thinner [which i new].....I mentioned why do they use 'flats' on a fretless jazz then.....but he couldn't answer or have i answered my own question? Bit confused as i don't want to cause any harm to neck of bass.....any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm just starting back after a long layoff....not in a band yet....just practising at mo'.....i'm into Blues, RnB old school vibe ect....if this can add any light to above?.....I read somewhere that 'Jerry jemmott' used 'flats' on his jazz plus foam muting ect to get that 'sound' i'm after.

Cheers Bob.
[/quote]

Chap at the store (CATS from now on) seems to like to open his mouth even when he does not have a clue what he is talking about.
Harsh? Maybe. But not less truthful for it.

You can put flats, rounds, whatever. The only thing is that different strings may have difefrent tension, which means you may have to adjust your truss rod one way or another. No big deal.
CATS probably had in mind that flats can be higher tension than a similar set of roundwounds. The Jazz's thinner neck will be more prone to show the effect of a changed tension than a thicker neck. But some flats are indeed high tension, some are quite low tension, and of course it all depends on what gauges you use as well... you can choose a higher tension type of string and go one notch down in gauge... or not.
At the end of the day, when you change string type of gauge, you usually require some minor adjustment of the truss rod to keep the bass -any bass- in the same state of "playability".

You will not damage the neck, so go ahead and have fun.

I'm just about to put flats on my second jazz bass :)

I have tried and liked:

[b]D'Addario Chromes[/b]. Punchy, lots of midrange, brighter than others but still with that "flat" character. Highish tension. Tried these on Precision, 51 style Precision and Stingray. I really like these.
[b]Status Hotwires[/b]. Very smooth. Used them in a Precision, fretted and fretless. Sound good but I had a bad experience with customer service so I will not return.
[b]Rotosound TruBass[/b], black nylon tapewound. Heavy gauge and tension. Very "thuddy" and on a Precision (fretted and fretless) very "double bassy" with the tone rolled off.
[b]D'Addario black nylon tapewounds[/b]. Low tension. Less "thud" than others, initially, but still lovely. I like these a lot. I have them right now on a fretless Precision, and I just bought a set for the fretted Jazz. I think they are very versatile and feel great on the fingers.

Edited by mcnach

Whoah, they is remarkably cheap. Definitely worth a punt. What do Status consider "long scale" and "medium scale"? I'm your regular sort of 34" guy :-)

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1323000882' post='1458052']
No wonder some guys in guitar shops get a bad name. May I recomend Status flats. Great strings and very good value as well. Just go to the online shop bit and the strings are in there.

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]http://www.status-gr...index_home.html[/url]

Jez
[/quote]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1323118701' post='1459581']
Whoah, they is remarkably cheap. Definitely worth a punt. What do Status consider "long scale" and "medium scale"? I'm your regular sort of 34" guy :-)
[/quote]
What sort of person asks a question like that without following the "string information" link first? Pffft. :)

[color=#000000][font="Verdana"][size="2"][u]LONG SCALE[/u]
Available as Premium Round-Core or Regular Hex-Core.
Round-wound, half-wound, flat-wound, vintage black nylon or bronze acoustic strings all feature in the range.
They all have a 'speaking' length of 950mm ( 37 3/8" ) which makes them suitable for regular 34" scale basses,
most extra-long 35"+ scale basses and regular 34" basses with through-body stringing.
(Please check length to make sure they will work on your bass).

[u]MEDIUM SCALE[/u]
Round-wound, half-wound, flat-wound or vintage black nylon strings are available.
They have a 'speaking' length of 882mm ( 34 3/4" ) which makes them suitable
for most 32" scale basses.
(Please check length to make sure they work on your bass).

[u]SHORT SCALE[/u]
Round-wound, half-wound, flat-wound or vintage black nylon strings are available.
They have a 'speaking' length of 832mm ( 32 3/4" ) which makes them suitable
for most 30" scale basses.
(Please check length to make sure they work on your bass).[/size][/font][/color]

Slightly OT I suppose but they are technically flats. I would recommend GHS Nylon Tape wound. I thought the Roto Trubasses were good but the GHS are less 'plasticy', more earthy sounding. Basically a softer string. If thats what your after of course.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1323167300' post='1459913']
Slightly OT I suppose but they are technically flats. I would recommend GHS Nylon Tape wound. I thought the Roto Trubasses were good but the GHS are less 'plasticy', more earthy sounding. Basically a softer string. If thats what your after of course.

A
[/quote]

Have you tried the DiMarzio tapewounds?
Interested to know where the GHS ones sit in relation to the TruBass and the DiMarzios.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1323189319' post='1460341']
Have you tried the DiMarzio tapewounds?
Interested to know where the GHS ones sit in relation to the TruBass and the DiMarzios.
[/quote]

Ill bear those in mind. Not in the market for a set at the mo but when I find an excusse............. :)

A

Edited by apa