Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A nice pair. Ampeg loveliness (Baby Bass and its little brother)

Clarky

Just acquired a fretless Bruce Johnson (Ampeg AUB-2 replica) and it looks rather hot (and quite voodoo!) next to my Ampeg Baby Bass IMHO :)

[attachment=94314:P1040912.JPG]

Here's more on Bruce Johnson's basses, if interested: http://www.xstrange.com/aeb2main.html

Edited by Clarky

Its VERY double bass-ish - quite rich and thuddy sounding, not much treble, and the D/G strings really don't ring out, especially as you travel up towards the dusty end. I practiced the whole Rattlin Bone set last night and it really sounds the part.

If I wanted a modern hi-fi sounding fretless, then this really isn't it, in fact its miles away. But it is just great as a retro, low end instrument.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1322926017' post='1457381']
Is the Bruce Johnson Bass the one that was in the Gallery?
[/quote]
Yep, but I bought it privately from Dave Swift after I saw it advertised on his website

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1322945907' post='1457676']
Are you going to be using this with Rattlin' Bone?
[/quote]
Yep, the plan is to use this when I can't bring a DB along and on non-UK gigs (we hope to do another Portugal tour). Plus we are working on an acoustic quartet spin-off of Rattlin Bone members and this bass will be perfect for that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1322946201' post='1457681']
Is the neck and fingerboard slightly DB like the Takamine or is it more guitarish?
[/quote]
Its quite like a fretless Precision neck, I would say. It doesn't have the heavy radius of the Takamine

Got to see you guys play in at least one of your guises. Your CD has been one of my favourites of the year.

I've stopped lusting after one of these when I decided that I wasn't going to buy any more 4-string basses since I can't use them in either of my current bands. However if I hadn't been at the Gallery to pick up (and more importantly pay for) my Sei fretless bass, I would have seriously considered buying the Bruce Johnson.

• 2 months later...

I just found this link that sets out a lot of details about the Bruce Johnson AUB-2. In answer to Dave/ET's question its a 4" radius neck, so it is more curved than a traditional P bass but less so than the Takamine TB-10/B-10. Also there's a sound clip within it so you can hear what the bass sounds like, set up to sound like a bluegrass DB type sound:

[url="http://forum.onlybass.com/index.php?/topic/50087-bruce-johnson-extremely-strange-instruments/"]http://forum.onlybas...ge-instruments/[/url]

Here's pics of my bass - these are taken from Dave Swift's website but I hope he doesn't mind

[attachment=99260:brucejohnson_body.jpg][attachment=99261:brucejohnson_full.jpg][attachment=99262:brucejohnson_back.jpg][attachment=99263:brucejohnson_backfull.jpg][attachment=99264:brucejohnson_headstock.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

• 2 weeks later...