Why become a member? ×

I've just been fired!

Dom in Dorset

After two years of being unfavorably compared to the previous guy I'm out.There were plenty of good times but the spector of *previous guy* never completely went away. Just had the call, basically they've been finishing off recordings made by the previous line up and it's become obvious to the rest of them that I don't play like that. the rest of the band wanted low rumbling grooves, I play more up-front melodic parts.
We were friends before I joined , they were honest and diplomatic, I'm still in my other band (as far as I know) , so I'm not too bothered (I'll miss the money).
I felt for the band mate who drew the short straw , I've never heard her sound so nervous! Just goes to show that this can be done painlessly.
As I wise man said "it's a gift of free time"
Maybe now I'll have time to record some of my acoustic numbers with the Royal Philharmonic.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1322571100' post='1452749']
After two years of being unfavorably compared to the previous guy I'm out..
[/quote]

That's always a rubbishy situation. whether it's in a band, a relationship or whatever.

Why don't people get it? Once you move beyond a base-level of competence there's no 'better' or 'worse'. Just [i]different[/i]!

From what you say I suspect they'll never get a new bass player they are happy with.

Best of luck with all your future endevours.

After two years of being unfavorably compared to the previous guy ...
[/quote]
Two years?!?

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Good luck with the RPO sessions; they won't give you any of that nonsense. Big drinkers too, I'm told.

[size=2]* Edit for orchestral confusion[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

After two years of being unfavorably compared to the previous guy I'm out.
[/quote]

There's nothing worse than this kind of pressure* from people who are stupid enough to think they can somehow turn you into someone you're not for their own purposes. It's control freakery, I tell you! Glad you're not too bothered. Good luck.

[size=2]* Apart from being electrocuted in the scrotum, obviously.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Yeah, I've been there with a band too. They said I wasn't good enough when infact I refused to play the old guys parts because A: They were boring and B: They were never tabbed as promised.

I'm now inviting them to every gig I play, they're still not turning up despite being fans of the style of music. AFAIK they've done one gig since to date and I was bandless for 3 months!

Move on and keep busy :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1322572154' post='1452773']
There's nothing worse than this kind of pressure* from people who are stupid enough to think they can somehow turn you into someone you're not for their own purposes. It's control freakery, I tell you! Glad you're not too bothered. Good luck.

[size=2]* Apart from being electrocuted in the scrotum, obviously.[/size]
[/quote]

Just to add this is brilliant! If only there was a 'like' button :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1322572845' post='1452790']
Yeah, I've been there with a band too. They said I wasn't good enough when infact I refused to play the old guys parts because A: They were boring and B: They were never tabbed as promised.

I'm now inviting them to every gig I play, they're still not turning up despite being fans of the style of music. AFAIK they've done one gig since to date and I was bandless for 3 months!

Move on and keep busy :)

Just to add this is brilliant! If only there was a 'like' button :)
[/quote]

Sod it, I've added my own tribute to the Like button :)

Doesn't sound like you were both suited..so best to part.

Put all your energies into getting the other band going well.

I always find bands quite competitive, even if they try and say otherwise, so you could invite them to support your band...as long as you don't get blown away..!!! :) :)

Onward and upward and always make your next band better than the last :) :o :o

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322577909' post='1452973']
Doesn't sound like you were both suited..so best to part.

Put all your energies into getting the other band going well.

I always find bands quite competitive, even if they try and say otherwise, so you could invite them to support your band...as long as you don't get blown away..!!! :) :)

Onward and upward and always make your next band better than the last :) :o :o
[/quote]

They play indie, we play music which is being regularly compared to Amon Amarth and Arch Enemy

I think this goes to show how similar being in a band is to being in a romantic relationship. I had a parting of the ways quite recently from a ROCK! type band. Despite being pretty unsuited to it anyway and never really happy in it I have still found myself stalking their Facebook page to see what the new incumbent is like. Apparently they have a really good bass player now and I am resisting admitting to myself that I am jealous even if nothing would actually draw me back.

I felt for the band mate who drew the short straw , I've never heard her sound so nervous! Just goes to show that this can be done painlessly.
[/quote]

Out of interest, what did she say?

One day I'm probably going to have to fire a band mate and will have no clue what to say.

Bands I have been in have generally used the Pinochet technique for removing unwanted musicians:

Week One:
"Where's Bob?"
"Bob couldn't make it this week"

Week Two:
"Is Bob coming this week?"
"No he is really busy at work"

Week Three:
"What happened to Bob?"
"Who is Bob? Do have a Gumtree app?"

Mr previous was a very talented upright player and it took me about six months to get completely up to speed with their back catalogue. Things were fine for a while but I think what did it was they started cleaning up the recordings they'd done. It reminded them that what they wanted was a double bass with close mic put through every studio enhancement availabe rather than a jazz bass put through a 2X10 combo.
I saw it coming after a rehearsal when they kept going on about more bass ,X had a more bassy sound on that bit, etc I was seconds away from "if you want me to sound like X, get X back in"
I suspect that's what has happened,he's the only person who could learn the set quick enough and make the sound they want.I think they are making a mistake but whatever, they'll come crawling back when Sex Farm charts in Japan.
What did she say? Something like "It's been two years and it's not really clicking with you..." she then went on nervously excusing their actions "it's no you it's us" type stuff for about five minutes until I interrupted her to say "that's ok I saw it coming."
Then they electrocuted my scrotum.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Sounds like you are better off out of it :)

My acoustic duo have split up. I only know this because I went to a gig on Sunday and found out the other chap was playing..........

We haven't spoken for around 4 months and he didn't return my calls or emails.

I don't know what has happened so I am trying to start an electric band instead :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1322601981' post='1453482']
Sounds like you are better off out of it :)

My acoustic duo have split up. I only know this because I went to a gig on Sunday and found out the other chap was playing..........

We haven't spoken for around 4 months and he didn't return my calls or emails.

I don't know what has happened so I am trying to start an electric band instead :)
[/quote]

What a guy, huh..??

You've got the right kind of philosophical attitude! A mate of mine was Principal Cellist for the RPO many years ago. The conductor at the time was a certain George Solti, a bit of a tyrant in his day apparently. Anyway, after a particularly heated exchange of words, John told him to 'eff off! Needless to say, John wasn't Principal Cellist after that!

Good luck with your other band!

LC