Why become a member? ×

I've just been fired!

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1322571100' post='1452749']
After two years of being unfavorably compared to the previous guy I'm out.There were plenty of good times but the spector of *previous guy* never completely went away. Just had the call, basically they've been finishing off recordings made by the previous line up and it's become obvious to the rest of them that I don't play like that. the rest of the band wanted low rumbling grooves, I play more up-front melodic parts.
[/quote]

Over 2 years to finish off recordings ? :) further proof ,you're better off out of it i reckon.

[quote name='ficelles' timestamp='1322608536' post='1453606']
How did you put up with that scenario for 2 years ffs? You must have the patience of a saint. After 2 minutes of adverse comparisons I'd have said "well if you lot weren't good enough for that *&!^ you sure aren't good enough for me" and legged it...

ficelles
[/quote]
Not so much adverse comparisons, more "why can't you be more like X"
Yes, I was playing a twin neck, built it myself just because I thought it would look cool. I have moved on but it was certainly worth it.

Seems a waste of 2 yrs from bands point of view.
Why did it take them that length of time to realise something wasn't quite right. :)
Maybe its because they saw your talent and thought over time they could adapt your sound to their values.
Equally not a good sign but i guess they and you gave it a shot and it didn't quite come off.

Put it down to experince and character building and find a more suited band for everyone.

All the best
Dave

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1322591788' post='1453303']
I think this goes to show how similar being in a band is to being in a romantic relationship. I had a parting of the ways quite recently from a ROCK! type band. Despite being pretty unsuited to it anyway and never really happy in it I have still found myself stalking their Facebook page to see what the new incumbent is like. Apparently they have a really good bass player now and I am resisting admitting to myself that I am jealous even if nothing would actually draw me back.
[/quote]

HA HA - thats exactly what I do ! And I thought that I was the only one :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1322601981' post='1453482']
Sounds like you are better off out of it :)

My acoustic duo have split up. I only know this because I went to a gig on Sunday and found out the other chap was playing..........

We haven't spoken for around 4 months and he didn't return my calls or emails.

I don't know what has happened so I am trying to start an electric band instead :)
[/quote]

He clearly didn't want to play with you any more but didn't have the bottle to say so. I've come across quite a few acoustic singer/songwriter types like this. They decide thay want a bass player (or a band), get some people together, realise that they can barely organise themselves to get to a rehearsal or a gig, never mind 2 or 3 other individuals and insetad of saying anything, they bury their head and the sand and hope that everyone will go away.

Edited by TheRev

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1322571100' post='1452749']
....I don't play like that. the rest of the band wanted low rumbling grooves, I play more up-front melodic parts....
[/quote]
[size=4]Sounds like you were too good for them. Anyway, one door closes and two open.[/size]

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1322601981' post='1453482']
....My acoustic duo have split up. I only know this because I went to a gig on Sunday and found out the other chap was playing....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd send him an invoice for your wasted time and the expense of turning up to the gig.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1322652630' post='1453908']
[size=4]Anyway, one door closes and two open.[/size]
[/quote]

Absolutely. Be comforted by this trite quote I found on the internets.

'The Chinese cryptogram for crisis has the meanings of both 'danger' and 'opportunity'. While we need to be aware of danger, prolonged dwelling in fear and doubt weakens us. Taking a deep breath in the moment, relaxing and being open to opportunity will help you in taking one step at a time. Sometimes, that is all we can see to do.'

The previous guy now lives in Spain, so I doubt he's back.
They took me on because I was the only person available they they hadn't already tried and rejected (they got through about three or four between double bass guy and myself. None of the others were intended as a long term solution) , What they will do now is anybody's guess. (unless an unknown new DBer has appeared in the last three weeks.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1322652297' post='1453903']
He clearly didn't want to play with you any more but didn't have the bottle to say so. I've come across quite a few acoustic singer/songwriter types like this. They decide thay want a bass player (or a band), get some people together, realise that they can barely organise themselves to get to a rehearsal or a gig, never mind 2 or 3 other individuals and insetad of saying anything, they bury their head and the sand and hope that everyone will go away.
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly!
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1322652925' post='1453913']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd send him an invoice for your wasted time and the expense of turning up to the gig.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
:)

Sorry to the OP for the hijack and I hope that his new ventures are successful :)