Why become a member? ×

Guitar Lead

ianwild16

My Grandfather was the first person to ever do this. He started this trend long before electric instruments were invented.

We had a certificate at home from the King confirming that he was the first person to do this and bestowing on him the official title of Leader of the Strap.

Unfortunately he's dead now and so is everyone who can vouch for this fact.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='gary mac' post='164495' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:29 PM']I always do it, after learning the embarassing way, I also take the other end of the lead around/through the side handle on my combo.[/quote]

Yeah - funny, I often forget to plug my bass in through the strap - but never forget to tug a loop through the handle of my amp. Weird as I've only lost lead out of the jack of of bass before, and not out of the amp.

Luckily - only ever happened at home, or at rehearsal (he types with crossed fingers!~######0-_)

I have done it since 1968, still do it now apart from when I play

my Brian Moore, (which is very rare), as that plugs into the back of the guitar, which is a very bad design cause it has fallen out of there before because I did not have it around the strap because it plugs in the back!!!!!

Great idea, stupid design. Sorry Brian :ph34r:

[quote name='gary mac' post='164495' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:29 PM']I always do it, after learning the embarassing way, I also take the other end of the lead around/through the side handle on my combo.[/quote]

+1.

Exactly what I do (live)

At home, it's more difficult to run out of cable / yank it out, so I don't bother...

[quote name='sixshooter' post='164609' date='Mar 27 2008, 04:48 PM']my Brian Moore, (which is very rare), as that plugs into the back of the guitar, which is a very bad design cause it has fallen out of there before because I did not have it around the strap because it plugs in the back!!!!!

Great idea, stupid design. Sorry Brian :ph34r:[/quote]

He only did it cos everyone was watching the Cup Final on BBC anyway. It was revenge I tells ya. Revenge.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='164480' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:06 PM']My Grandfather was the first person to ever do this. He started this trend long before electric instruments were invented.

We had a certificate at home from the King confirming that he was the first person to do this and bestowing on him the official title of Leader of the Strap.

Unfortunately he's dead now and so is everyone who can vouch for this fact.[/quote]

I dispute it, I have a photo from 1214 in which my recently deceased uncle Nigel can clearly be seen wearing a vintage basse (made of wood and dodos beak) connected to his rig via a horse hair cable which is broadly accepted as the likely fore-runner to the quadraxial cable which was phased out (or was that out of phase) in the late 1500s, synonymous with pope Gregor great great great great great great grandfather of rap who took the afore mentioned technique and applied it to the 'rock hold' a similar technique where the leade vocalisterist (as formely known) loops one coil of mic lead around the mic holding hand.
you need to brush up on your history (anag. shitory) mate ;) ;) :) :huh:

Edited by jakesbass

I do both of these, also from learning the hard way from both ends. Guitar end I pull tight so you don't see a big loop so to avoid any dodgy Eric Clapton muso type comments :):) Amp end I also pull tight as possible. Nothing worse than walking across the stage a little to far to find you have pulled the lead out of the amp. :huh::)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='164697' date='Mar 27 2008, 06:48 PM']I dispute it, I have a photo from 1214 in which my recently deceased uncle Nigel can clearly be seen wearing a vintage basse (made of wood and dodos beak) connected to his rig via a horse hair cable which is broadly accepted as the likely fore-runner to the quadraxial cable which was phased out (or was that out of phase) in the late 1500s, synonymous with pope Gregor great great great great great great grandfather of rap who took the afore mentioned technique and applied it to the 'rock hold' a similar technique where the leade vocalisterist (as formely known) loops one coil of mic lead around the mic holding hand.
you need to brush up on your history (anag. shitory) mate ;) ;) :) :huh:[/quote]
This was recently discovered in a tomb in Luxor alongside a dusty Ampeg B15
[attachment=6967:loop.jpg]

I think tucking in a curly lead has gotta be a disaster visually.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTW1-znxeQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTW1-znxeQ[/url]
Check out youtube, jimi hendrix live a the marquee, rare 2nd take of Hey Joe.
At approx 2.05 you can clearly see Noel has a 'White!' curly lead tucked up behind his strap.
I can only just forgive him 'cause of his dedication to the afro.
This is the earlest I remember ever seeing anyone do it....can any one beat it?