Why become a member? ×

Recorded sound vs. Amped up sound

jackers

So, I've been messing around with my basses for a few hours this evening, and I have discovered that in terms of sound quality and tone through my rig, (Hartke LH1000 and hydrive 410), my jazz bass blows the aerodyne away, however, when I record the basses in logic the aerodyne has the nicer tone by a long way.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this happens? :)

(P.s. I apologise if there is a thread somewhere about this already, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.)

first and foremost, tone is subjective, I might listen to your recording and hate it! :)
The basses, amp, cab, audio interface and headphones/speakers will all have a "sound" and the way each component interacts with the others is what creates the final tone of the bass.
The jazz bass isn't interacting with logic in a way that pleases your ear but it does interact well with the Hartke head and cab. To your ear :)
hope that helps

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1322135535' post='1446904']
How do they sound in a band mix. That's the biggie.
I often get a great sound/tone dialled in solo and when the others turn up to play they ruin it and it's lost in the mix or sounds odd.
[/quote]

Same here, I`ve found that to get a sound that works well in my covers band, I have to choose a middy/clanky sound that I don`t like. But it works really well in the mix.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1322135991' post='1446916']
Same here, I`ve found that to get a sound that works well in my covers band, I have to choose a middy/clanky sound that I don`t like. But it works really well in the mix.
[/quote]

Well, of course, sounds get diluted when everyone is playing full-on, but I think you can help that with a band mix as opposed to the bass being the one who has to make the room for everyone else.

I don't find I ever have to use a sound I wouldn't want to use in order for it all to sit right and the more instruments you have to contend with the trickier this might seem to be..but I don't play in
units of less than 5 with full keys and possibly horns and I can always hear myself very clearly
It is a bad room indeed for that not to be the case...IMO.

Unless I've not understood the OP, you are trying to compare tow completely different things.
Assuming that both sounds are being taken in isolation at not in the context of a band mix?

1. Bass through a rig, probably quite loud.

2. Bass via your A-D converter and back out again via a D-A converter (via any plugins or channel EQ) into a mixer? then into studio monitors probably not as loud as your rig.

Like comparing apples and oranges. Everything in the signal path from the strings to your ears will affect the sound in one way or another. Simply too many variables.

Edited by BigRedX

Subjective stuff sound.

Different volume, different speakers/amp (rig vs nearfield ickle monitors), different placement in the room (assuming its not a completely different room) are enough to account for what you are describing.

More than enough variation there to completely change the result, objectively and subjectively (different frequency response on the different speakers is easily enough on its own).

The DAW has comparably nothing to do with it, the DA/AD converters could have something to do with it (marginal in all likelihood), the preamp in the interface could certainlyadd some colour that favours one instrumetn more than the other. But the main issue is almost certainly the different speakers/amp.

I have found the best sound for recording is by using a Bass Pod- the amp modelling is amazing and it is possible to get a very close sound to a massive rig without the volume problems. I no longer have the luxury of having my own sound proofed pro studio ( and have neighbours ). If used properly ( I could write for hours about this point ) in the mix no-one would know that the real thing is not being used.

All amps colour the sound and in my experience an amp / speakers must be well driven to give a good sound. At low volumes most amps sound crap.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1322300782' post='1448999']
Numerous variables notwithstanding, why not just play to the strengths of each bass? Use the one that sounds best through a rig out in a band scenario for live work. Use the one that sounds better recorded for studio work. At least that justifies having two basses...
[/quote]

Four basses :) you forgot the backups :)

thanks for all the replies :) i realise it probably sounded like quite a dumb question, lol, but I'm really not very good with the technical side of recording/rig sound etc.

my main reason for asking is that, due to unexpected circumstances which require me to raise a sizeable sum of money, I'm having to sell one of my basses, and I've been trying to decide which bass to keep. I've decided to keep my jazz, as at the moment i'm mostly playing bass in my room, with a few small gigs, so recording isn't a priority for me, and the jazz is just better for that.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1322564907' post='1452583']
thanks for all the replies :) i realise it probably sounded like quite a dumb question, lol, but I'm really not very good with the technical side of recording/rig sound etc.

my main reason for asking is that, due to unexpected circumstances which require me to raise a sizeable sum of money, I'm having to sell one of my basses, and I've been trying to decide which bass to keep. I've decided to keep my jazz, as at the moment i'm mostly playing bass in my room, with a few small gigs, so recording isn't a priority for me, and the jazz is just better for that.
[/quote]

Would agree with that - very versatile bass the jazz is. I am all for getting into one instrument and keeping it for years.