Why become a member? ×

The ultimate gismo? The latest development in P-bass technology?

KiOgon

Never seen this before - all those years (60) of development, cutting edge technology, the best brains in the world have come up with this:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fenders/FenderPrecisionDeluxehead.jpg[/IMG]
Can you tell what it is yet?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fenders/FenderPrecisionDeluxeheadrear.jpg[/IMG]
Is it only available on 'top of the range' 2011 models?

Edited by KiOgon

Why don't Fender just make an angled headstock?

Even the crappiest of Chinese factories can now make one that is suitably robust. That way all the strings break the nut at the same angle which is better for compliance, you don't have to wind unnecessary lengths of string around the machine head post which leads to tuning instability and you don't have to rely on string retainers which also hinder tuning.

Simple really. Instead of all this hardware to fix a problem that shouldn't be there anymore.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]It's a string retainer. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]They've reduced a 2 piece assembly to 1 piece and removed the task of mounting it. [color=#222222][font=Arial]Leo would be proud of the simplicity and economy of the design. [/font][/color]It is held on by the tuner nut so Fender saves by not adding a second string retainer and its screw and they don't have to pay someone to put it in. I think the string retainer used by Lakland and others is a much better design, but what do I know![/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Maybe they have seen a problem with the A string jumping out of the nut? [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]An angled head stock is very expensive to make compared to the usual Fender design.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1321182377' post='1436092']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]An angled head stock is very expensive to make compared to the usual Fender design.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
Plenty of manufacturers use angled headstock designs & still manage to charge less for their basses than fender.

I think it looks pretty cheap & tacky, like a last minute afterthought rather than a carefully thought through design improvement.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1321183198' post='1436100']
....Plenty of manufacturers use angled headstock designs & still manage to charge less for their basses than fender....
[/quote]
[size=4]There's a big difference in costing less and charging less.[/size]

[size=4]Of course it could be a cigarette holder[/size].

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321196548' post='1436286']
Is there an inherent problem with the break angle?

I'm genuinely confused...
[/quote]
The general vibe seems to be that the E sting has a nice short run from the nut to the tuner, at a nice break angle downwards.
The D and G strings go through the string retainer to produce the same angle downwards.
the poor old A string is orphaned,with a longer run to the tuner than the E and with no retainer to maintain the angle of the dangle,leading to tuning and nut jump problems.(allegedly).

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1321196933' post='1436291']
The general vibe seems to be that the E sting has a nice short run from the nut to the tuner, at a nice break angle downwards.
The D and G strings go through the string retainer to produce the same angle downwards.
the poor old A string is orphaned,with a longer run to the tuner than the E and with no retainer to maintain the angle of the dangle,leading to tuning and nut jump problems.(allegedly).
[/quote]
The A string has always sounded fine to me.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1321196933' post='1436291']
[/quote]
Ah, fairy nuff.

I never cut the strings, so they are shoved right to the bottom of the trees. As a result, my A's have a nice healthy break angle.

Angled headstock? Schmangled Schmeadstock. :)

Yep me too, but looking across my headstock I notice my A string angle is noticeably different to the others.
I`m prob cutting too short and not winding to the bottom of the tuner enough. Still no problem though

p.s if I wanted to wave something about shaped like a steinberger, i`d be in a Cricket team.

Edited by Monckyman