Why become a member? ×

"Go on, - play me something"......

Gazza 2905

I assume that most of us have been in this situation at least once in our bass playing lives.
A friend comes round to your house one evening and they know you play bass, or maybe they spy one of your basses in the corner of the room.

So they say to you:-

[i]"Go on, - play me something"......[/i]

Now, being a bass, you can't just trot out a load of songs like you can, on say, the guitar. So, I was wondering:
What do you guys play when you want to impress someone?

Well, I'm surprised that some of you have [i]never[/i] had a friend or a member of your family [i]ever[/i] ask you to play them something!

But what about if you go into a shop to try out a new bass then?

They'll probably be one or two customers, and the shopkeeper of course.
Surely you feel under a little pressure to play something impressive.
Or do you just noodle?..

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1320692784' post='1430156']
Well, I'm surprised that some of you have [i]never[/i] had a friend or a member of your family [i]ever[/i] ask you to play them something!

Or do you just noodle?..
[/quote]
I play a couple of my band's own lines and then just noodle....

Or do you just noodle?..
[/quote]
I examine the bass and then play it unplugged. If I like it so far then I'll ask to amplify it. Then I play all the notes on each string to see it it plays evenly. Then I play it with right hand by the bridge, then right hand above pickup, then right hand over the end of neck, etc. I'm checking out the bass not performing for a load of onlookers.

[/quote]

I guess most close friends have seen us all play live,

I have my music gear in a room that no guests would go in unless they have cause to , so a visiter who doesn't really know me would not guess I played anyhow

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1320693413' post='1430177']
I'm checking out the bass not performing for a load of onlookers.
[/quote]

You're reading far too much into my question. I'm just curious as to what people consider 'cool riffs' I suppose; and thinking of examples of when they might need to play them.

Me personally, I'm not in a band, & I'm too shy to play in front of anyone..

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1320694833' post='1430228']

You're reading far too much into my question. I'm just curious as to what people consider 'cool riffs' I suppose; and thinking of examples of when they might need to play them.

[/quote]
Sorry, I didn't mean to over-read it.

If you want something I consider a cool riff then Chris White's line in The Zombies [i]She's Not There[/i]. I only say that one really because I was playing it yesterday.

Unlike some others here I did actually get this a while back. My nephew wanted to take up bass so I pulled out a few of mine for him to choose one to borrow. And then he said it ... "So, let's see what you can do".

My mind went blank and I started to noodle some half-hearted Jameson lines - not impressive enough. A brief foray into 'The Real Me' before realising it sounded crap with no drums. No good, I just couldn't think of anything. It felt like a bit of a nightmare, and what I'd imagine stage fright feels like.

Never again.

So to answer the OP's question - not very much at all!

I usually just play an aggressive style little groove, then move on to some fast melodic metal kind of playing. Showcase a few of the effect pedals, and If feeling particularly confident I'll move higher up the neck and do some widdly stuff but not so much that I get caught out :) I sometimes knock out famous basslines or riffs, or stuff from bands I am/have been in too

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1320694833' post='1430228']

[/quote]

Someone mentioned the Zombies, yep that kind of stuff or any decent blues riff, dont worry about what people thinks cool, just enjoy playing